Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #11

I don't think golf lends itself to those intense head-to-head rivalries ;Woods/Mickelson seems more media contrived than anything else.

Perhaps in the old Nicklaus/Palmer days,or do we even view that through a distorted prism ? (Actually,aren't all views through a prism 'distorted' ? Well,whatever.)

How many times have they (Woods/Lefty) gone head-to-head in the final round at one of the Majors ? (Rhetorical.)

In tennis,if you have two great players,they tend to end up clashing at the business end of the major tournaments,it's not so in golf.The world number one could be in the final group on Sunday,but he's just as likely to be paired with the guy ranked number 40 as the guy ranked number 2.

Hana Mandlikova ? There's a blast from the past.

I remember as a young fella,being rather fond of Carling Bassett.

Although it was probably for all the wrong reasons...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #12

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
I wish I could remember DB!
Let me make an educated guess: Then, you probably as old as Billie Jean King now!* Have you seen her in that commercial with the Geico caveman? She looks like a 101!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
*I'm just teasing you, Putter.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #13

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Let me make an educated guess: Then, you probably as old as Billie Jean King now!* Have you seen her in that commercial with the Geico caveman? She looks like a 101!
*I'm just teasing you, Putter.
Geez DB, I have many years to go yet before I reach Billy Jean's age! I did see a commercial with her and the caveman - the one where she's sitting in a chair (go figure!) and yes, she does look quite, um, old.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Geez DB, I have many years to go yet before I reach Billy Jean's age! I did see a commercial with her and the caveman - the one where she's sitting in a chair (go figure!) and yes, she does look quite, um, old.
Probably cause she is quite, um, old (66 according to Wikipedia) and has spent a lot of her life running around in the sun in the days before anyone told you it was bad.

Even with sunscreen, people who spend their lives outside tend to look older than they are.

Anyway, she's accomplished more in her 66 years than any of us here have in a fraction of those years.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #15

Hope the judge and NTB haven't read that 66 is old, Blue!
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Hope the judge and NTB haven't read that 66 is old, Blue!
Hey, I'm only two decades behind BJK and I sure hope to get there someday. Old is not bad, except it seems to be in our youth-obsessed society.

I'd rather be old and wise than young and dumb.

Last edited by Blue; 09-16-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Hey, I'm only two decades behind BJK and I sure hope to get there someday. Old is not bad, except it seems to be in our youth-obsessed society.

I'd rather be old and wise than young and dumb.
The problem is, you are both! Except the young part.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Just kidding.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #18

I don't think Billie Jean looks 101. In my eyes she will always look like a million bucks. HBO did a great special on Billie Jean a little while ago. Of course, anybody who knows anything about Billie Jean knows that she is one of the greatest, if not the absolute greatest, figures in the fight for equality for women's sports. The women's tour is what it is today because of her courage and the risk she and a group of other pros took. She also led the fight for equal pay. I remember a few years ago when Wimbledon finally gave in to paying the ladies what they are worth (I reject the five set to three set argument, to me it's who's a draw and in tennis the ladies like Serena, Venus, Maria and others put people in seats) Venus, during her victory speech, thanking Billie Jean King for the fight she led over the years.

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-16-2010 at 08:25 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
I don't think Billie Jean looks 101. In my eyes she will always look like a million bucks. HBO did a great special on Billie Jean a little while ago. Of course, anybody who knows anything about Billie Jean knows that she is one of the greatest, if not the absolute greatest, figures in the fight for equality for women's sports. The women's tour is what it is today because of her courage and risk she a group of other pros took. She also led the fight for equal pay. I remember a few years ago when Wimbledon finally gave in to paying the ladies what they are worth (I reject the five set to three set argument, to me it's who's a draw and in tennis the ladies like Serena, Venus, Maria and others put people in seats) Venus thanking Billie Jean King for the fight she led over the years.
Definitely. She wasn't just a pioneer for tennis and women's tennis but for all of women's sports and human equality.

I've actually been lucky enough to meet her a few times. She is also super humble for all that she's achieved.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #20

Age is just a number. Sometimes I sit and wonder what it will be like to grow old. Yep, I sit on my horse and ride through the woods and along the river every morning, Monday thru Friday, just wondering.....briefly. I say briefly because I can't waste too much time thinking. Gotta get home and have lunch. Then it's decision time. Do I walk the beach and swim, or do I go kayaking in Calibogue Sound??? Making decisions can downright wear you out. Well, I guess I'll go hit some balls on the range while I decide what to do.
Anyway, I hope y'all have a better day than I......making these damn old decisions on a daily basis can sure age ya.....can't it?

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote