Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Administrator

Earth Hour 2011

Even thought I don't believe in earth hour i thought i would post it. Its much more meaningful to me to try and conserve energy throughout the year then to turn off lights for one hour. Japan nuclear reactor spills were quite a shock to everyone and has placed nuclear energy in the bad books for a lot of people, however I still believe nuclear energy is the answer. Just not on any place that has been seismically active.

Here's hoping for a source of clean energy.

At 8:30 PM on Saturday 26th March 2011, lights will switch off around the globe for Earth Hour and people will commit to actions that go beyond the hour.
With Earth Hour almost upon us, our thoughts are with the people of Japan during this incredibly challenging and sad time for their country.

http://www.earthhour.org/Homepage.aspx
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Doesn't it use more energy to turn the lights back on after that hour than it saves having them off for an hour? Just wondering.

Ditto your Japan thoughts Rusty - I can't even imagine what those people are going through - breaks your heart to see some of the pictures.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Even thought I don't believe in earth hour i thought i would post it. Its much more meaningful to me to try and conserve energy throughout the year then to turn off lights for one hour. Japan nuclear reactor spills were quite a shock to everyone and has placed nuclear energy in the bad books for a lot of people, however I still believe nuclear energy is the answer. Just not on any place that has been seismically active.

Here's hoping for a source of clean energy.

At 8:30 PM on Saturday 26th March 2011, lights will switch off around the globe for Earth Hour and people will commit to actions that go beyond the hour.
With Earth Hour almost upon us, our thoughts are with the people of Japan during this incredibly challenging and sad time for their country.
Everyones thoughts are with Japan and the Japanese. I have been in terrible earthquakes, (once the roof of my school room collapsed in my head) but this eartquake, tsunami and nuclear plant catastrophe are still a nightmare to me. I dream about the people outside in freezing weather looking for their loved ones and any posssible savable assets with hardly any hopes for the future. With out hope for a future, all that is left is despair and depresssion.
Switching lights off will not help them. Will not conserve meaningful energy. But it will sure bring a baby boom in December.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

DB, the roof of the school falling on your head explains a lot. Just sayin'.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #5

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
DB, the roof of the school falling on your head explains a lot. Just sayin'.
It wasn't on my head, that's for sure! LOL...I was going to say the same thing...to me that explain why he is acting "loco" all the time.

Originally Posted by Elf
Switching lights off will not help them. Will not conserve meaningful energy. But it will sure bring a baby boom in December.
Why? Do you usually do it when it's dark? I like doing it when there's light so I can see what I'm doing!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
It wasn't on my head, that's for sure! LOL...I was going to say the same thing...to me that explain why he is acting "loco" all the time.

Do not knock it. After the earthquake, I was so scared and traumatized that I spend over a week in bed shaking, high temperature & having nightmares. For a long time I was terrified even with a small tremor, but now eartquakes do not longer affect me as they do other people. I even help when needed.

Thats why I am so sad about Japan. Even if eventually they get new homes and their normal lives back, the children will live with a huge trauma for years. Or hopefully, Japanese children have more guts than the Elf and are better prepared for the mental stress of such huge tradegy.

But I am still a chicken, I moved out of high risk areas for eartquakes. And I will probably move to San Antonio (one of this days). No more Acapulco for me. (Unless I am lucky, an a pretty lady needs some serious tanning and other special treatments). Keep dreaming.

Last edited by Elf; 03-27-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote