LPGA Golf Forum

LPGA Golf Forum (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/)
-   Anything (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f24/)
-   -   Dubai collapse affects Tiger's rep (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f24/dubai-collapse-affects-tigers-rep-5741.html)

ctmurray 11-29-2009 08:50 PM

Over the years we have seen stories/ expose's about the conditions. Very sad for these workers.

MarinePaul 11-29-2009 08:58 PM

Rusty, an interesting article. I have a client who did some business in Dubai, and he has some horror stories about dealing with the "government" there. He also mentioned the chain gangs. Really a sad state of affairs.

LoJo 11-29-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinePaul (Post 96899)
Rusty, an interesting article. I have a client who did some business in Dubai, and he has some horror stories about dealing with the "government" there. He also mentioned the chain gangs. Really a sad state of affairs.

Yeah...kinda like what we have in the US with all the illegal slaves picking citrus in Florida and tobacco in NC. Just look the other way and it doesn't exist.

ctmurray 11-29-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJo (Post 96901)
Yeah...kinda like what we have in the US with all the illegal slaves picking citrus in Florida and tobacco in NC. Just look the other way and it doesn't exist.

I thought these people were illegal workers but not held in slavery as described about Dubai? Are they brought here under the same false pretenses? I thought they worked their way here (possibly paying mules big money to come) and then were hired (by employers who look the other way about their work status). In Dubai the workers have their passports taken away until they pay off the advance. Here I think they can leave if they want and go back (although they might not have much money). But honestly I did not (do not) think the slavery aspect is common here. But am open to links to prove me wrong.

MarinePaul 11-29-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJo (Post 96901)

Hardly "slaves." Personally, the word "illegal" to me means that when they're discovered, they should be sent home. The situation in Dubai is in no way similar.

LoJo 11-30-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinePaul (Post 96909)
Hardly "slaves." Personally, the word "illegal" to me means that when they're discovered, they should be sent home. The situation in Dubai is in no way similar.

Hardly slaves? Ha!

Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW)

Keep in mind that the cases cited were those prosecuted...many are not.

Migrant farm workers, both documented and undocumented, suffer terrible abuses similar to the Dubai workers.

It's all about the $$ whether it's here in the U.S. or elsewhere.

MarinePaul 11-30-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJo (Post 96914)
Hardly slaves? Ha!

Migrant farm workers, both documented and undocumented, suffer terrible abuses similar to the Dubai workers.

So, I suppose we confiscate the passports the "undocumented" don't have and force them to stay? The road runs both north AND south.

xman5 11-30-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJo (Post 96914)
Hardly slaves? Ha!

The difference is that what was done here was done by individuals and illegal and those responsible were convicted.

What is done in Dubai is sponsered by the Gov't.

I wouldn't go to Dubai if my life depended on it. They can rot.

Blue 11-30-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinePaul (Post 96924)
So, I suppose we confiscate the passports the "undocumented" don't have and force them to stay? The road runs both north AND south.

Did you read the article LoJo posted?

A few excerpts:
"... captive workers are held against their will by their employers through threats and, all too often, the actual use of violence -- including beatings, shootings, and pistol-whippings.... The employers were charged with beating workers who were unwilling to work or who attempted to leave their employ picking tomatoes, holding their workers in debt, and chaining and locking workers inside u-haul trucks as punishment ... workers, mostly indigenous Mexicans and Guatemalans, were forced to work 10-12 hour days, 6 days per week, for as little as $20 per week, under the watch of armed guards. Those who attempted escape were assaulted, pistol-whipped, and even shot."

It's difficult to get on the road heading south when you're chained inside a truck, beaten or shot at if you attempt to leave.

xman5 11-30-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue (Post 96930)
Did you read the article LoJo posted?

A few excerpts:
"... captive workers are held against their will by their employers through threats and, all too often, the actual use of violence -- including beatings, shootings, and pistol-whippings.... The employers were charged with beating workers who were unwilling to work or who attempted to leave their employ picking tomatoes, holding their workers in debt, and chaining and locking workers inside u-haul trucks as punishment ... workers, mostly indigenous Mexicans and Guatemalans, were forced to work 10-12 hour days, 6 days per week, for as little as $20 per week, under the watch of armed guards. Those who attempted escape were assaulted, pistol-whipped, and even shot."

It's difficult to get on the road heading south when you're chained inside a truck, beaten or shot at if you attempt to leave.

By turning our back and letting illegal aliens stream accross the border we have created the environment for this to happen. But make no mistake this is not the policy of our country. These are acts done by indivduals and not the state, often exploting the same groups that they are from.

Thats why we need immigration reform so that these people can not be expoloited by these criminals. If we had real reform where these workers can be documented and access controlled these problems could be reduced greatly. Instead we stick out head in the sand, as the Congress is too weak to act on anything that might be difficult or to offend anyone and possible lose a vote. So nothing is done.