Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
I was wondering. High school football/basketball and college football/basketball will because they actually make money for schools whether it's college ticket sales or booster and alumni money. Could juniors in golf or tennis ever generate enough money to pay for top level development?
Actually no high school football or basketball program makes money for the school. The cost is tremendous and booster money and ticket is trivial by comparison and used to help offset the expense. Parents and taxpayers pick up the rest. Parents are increasingly paying more fees for their kids to participate in all sports.

As for college sports, only a tiny percentage of college sports programs make money and even then only in the so-called "revenue sports" (men's basketball, football and men's ice hockey) but only at some schools. The vast majority of schools lose money on their entire athletic program even with ticket sales, corporate sponsorship and alumni donations. Please trust me on this.

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
One other question. Of the top American LPGA stars under say, 25-ish, who comes from affluent, upper middle class, middle class, or below? Who comes from a sports background. Isn't Morgan related to tennis player Aaron Krickstein? Of course, Jessica Korda's dad is Petr Korda. Her mom was a tennis player too I think. What is the yearly expense to develop a top junior golfer going through whatever is considered the traditional path?
Is there a single traditional path to develop a top junior golfer? Maybe that's the issue and maybe that's the difference between golf and tennis right now, and the problem.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
The vast majority of schools lose money on their entire athletic program even with ticket sales, corporate sponsorship and alumni donations. Please trust me on this.
They do not "lose money". Schools "invest" money on the future of America. Same as in other countries. Unfortunately, a good part of our taxes get lost in the way to common good.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #13

Aaron Krickstein and Morgan's mother were brother and sister.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
They do not "lose money". Schools "invest" money on the future of America. Same as in other countries. Unfortunately, a good part of our taxes get lost in the way to common good.
That's one way of putting it if you believe that building a strong football team is an investment in the future of America.

Anyway, the point is that high school sports teams, even football, even in places like Texas and Florida, do not make money. They cost money. 95%+ of college sports teams are not profitable either and, contrary to myth, those that make money don't make enough to support the other sports on their campuses like tennis or golf or women's basketball, let alone contribute to the academic side of the campus.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
That's one way of putting it if you believe that building a strong football team is an investment in the future of America.
Ask O.J.

Edit: just kidding. Sports helps create spirit and health. Just as an example: How many USA Presidents participated in College sports? Is there a correlation between success (what ever that means) as an adult and participation in sports in HS or college?
I believe I know the answers, but xman5 will always have a better one, or at least demonstrate that I am BS.

Last edited by Elf; 08-16-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #16
NTB

Anyway, the point is that high school sports teams, even football, even in places like Texas and Florida, do not make money. They cost money. 95%+ of college sports teams are not profitable either and, contrary to myth, those that make money don't make enough to support the other sports on their campuses like tennis or golf or women's basketball, let alone contribute to the academic side of the campus.
University of Arkansas Football makes loads of money.. If we ever get basketball back on course it will also..
Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #17

Excellent thread and lo and behold my favorite poster, BKB, is the mastermind! Thanks again for stimulating thought and opinion BKB.

I have an ongoing perplexity between the popularity, or lack thereof, of today's tennis game in comparison to the 70's and 80's. I always tend to either give credit or blame to television coverage but nowadays we have a Tennis Channel which far surpasses the tennis challenge coverage for which we were exposed to in the 70's and 80's. On the other hand, the tennis challenges were aired on the major networks and our other options here in the U.S. were two other networks, one of which aired a baseball game and the other a "wide world of sports". So wasn't some of the popularity due to the fact there were so few options and more proportionate advertising dollars dedicated to tennis?

Now I have the option of watching Womens Pro Beach Volleyball, or Womens Billiards, or the LPGA or a million other options so what would compel me to watch womens tennis? My own opinion is that "popularity" of a sport translates to how many people are watching it on tv and tv being its own worst enemy by providing so many different options. So is this not how we are judging popularity? Tv exposure=popularity=magazines= "buzz" and more tv exposure. We just don't have that equation anymore so lack of interest or "buzz" may only be a perception versus the reality of the fact that women tennis players are getting much more exposure and pay than they ever did before and more sponsors are pouring in more dollars than Billie Jean King could ever imagine. Bringing up the question...would any women's pro tennis player have half the popularity now than she did 20 years ago? One could speculate endlessly on defining popular appeal and whether lessor or greater in comparison to the past. More dollars from more advertisiers will compensate for the "buzz" of 30 years ago!
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #18
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by NTB View Post
University of Arkansas Football makes loads of money.. If we ever get basketball back on course it will also..
I'm sure it does. That doesn't mean that most other college sports teams make money or that high school teams make money.

Last edited by Blue; 08-17-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #19
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Elf View Post

Edit: just kidding. Sports helps create spirit and health. Just as an example: How many USA Presidents participated in College sports? Is there a correlation between success (what ever that means) as an adult and participation in sports in HS or college?
I believe I know the answers, but xman5 will always have a better one, or at least demonstrate that I am BS.
Gotta agree with you this time. Most HS and College sports is not about the money. It is about spirit and competition, mind and body. The majority are not money makers.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Forum Moderator

Of course sports is great for kids and builds excellent skills like teamwork, learning a work ethic, etc. The tough choices come in when schools have to decide whether to fund a football team or a music department. Increasingly, they're cutting the music department and asking the parents and tax payers to pay more to fund the football team for their kids.

I'm not saying this is wrong or right. It's just what it is.