Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Dan Wheldon Dies In Horrific Crash

There are no words to comfort family, friends and fans of reigning Indianapolis 500 champion Dan Wheldon, who died today in a terrible crash at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I hope they can find comfort in each other and the memory of Dan.

Danica Patrick consoled after hearing of Dan's passing.

Ashley Judd consoled.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

A very sad day for Indy cars. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. May he rest in peace.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #3

Terrible news. We all know it's a dangerous sport, but it's still shocking when something like this happens. Crashes...yes....fatalities, no.

I think Danica was pretty close to Dan. Must have been such a shock to all the drivers.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #4

The story said some of the drivers were concerned at the size of the field.
Seems to me that 34 200mph+ cars racing on a closed track was negligence on the part of those in charge of the race.
Racing three qualifying heats of 11, 11 and 12 to get into a final of 11 cars seems a bit more prudent and lots safer. There would still be good racing; safer racing; and a young man would not be going home to his wife and two small children in a box.
Just my opinion.

Viva Life
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #5

If you chose a dangerous profession, you should be ready for its consequences. I watched the coverage of the race on ABC(switching between the Dallas/Patriot game) and I understand he started in the 34th place(last) and if he won the race, he would have gotten five million dollars and a fan will get 2.5 million. The accident happened in the 13th lap and by that time he already overtook 8 cars. He must be driving real fast. I don't know if he caused the accident, but out of the 15 cars involved in the crash he got the worst of it. It happened in front of Danica Patrick, but she was low...so she was able to avoid the accident and just went through it without any damage to her car.
But like I said, it's a dangerous profession and if you chose that kind of job for a living, your life is always on the line. May he rest in peace and my condelences to his family.
But I have more admiration to those young men and women in the military who lost their lives defending our country, but hardly recognized.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #6

Horrific accident, with such a tragic outcome. The more so because Wheldon was actively working with Indy Car to produce a safer vehicle where this very thing might be prevented.

DB, Wheldon didn't cause the accident, it started ahead of him and just multiplied. Danica Patrick was very close to the start of it kind of next to it, but ahead of the wreckage, she admitted to having slowed a fraction and moved to the inside shortly before the incident. They were travelling at 220mph and at those kind of speeds you just don't have time to do too much if something happens in front of you. If it's all over the track there is just nowhere to go.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

I agree, heddwyn. I understand what DB is saying, but at that rate of speed, there wasn't much he could do. As you say, he was actively working to prevent exactly the kind of accident that took his life. I feel for his family and friends.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #8

Rest in peace Danny, you were a true champion and gentleman.
JJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #9

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Horrific accident, with such a tragic outcome. The more so because Wheldon was actively working with Indy Car to produce a safer vehicle where this very thing might be prevented.

DB, Wheldon didn't cause the accident, it started ahead of him and just multiplied. Danica Patrick was very close to the start of it kind of next to it, but ahead of the wreckage, she admitted to having slowed a fraction and moved to the inside shortly before the incident. They were travelling at 220mph and at those kind of speeds you just don't have time to do too much if something happens in front of you. If it's all over the track there is just nowhere to go.
Danica wasn't ahead of the wreckage. It happened in front of her. If you watch the video below...you'll see her "green" car low and she just went through it. Starting at 2:20 into the video:

Indycar Crash at Las Vegas Speedway 2011 ~ R.I.P. Dan Wheldon - YouTube
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #10

She was well ahead of the main wreckage, DB, the two which started it were marginally ahead of her and she was alongside when they went to the right across the track.

It's semantics to argue about car lengths, what happened should never have been allowed to happen and someone died as a result.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote