Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #11

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
She was well ahead of the main wreckage, DB, the two which started it were marginally ahead of her and she was alongside when they went to the right across the track.

It's semantics to argue about car lengths, what happened should never have been allowed to happen and someone died as a result.
Let me explain this to you one more time: The accident happened ahead of Danica Patrick. But because she was traveling at the speed of 210-230 miles an hour, and the accident slowed down, it looks like she was ahead of the wreckage. She over took it, because her speed was faster than the wreckage itself. It's just like "Thunder and Lightning"...you see the flashes of the lightning first before you hear the sound of thunder...but actually it happens at the same time, except that light travels faster than sound! comprende?
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #12

Then you haven't seen the footage from Patrick's car. The airborne car you see is not Wheldon's, his was the second car to get airborne.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...heldon-tragedy

Read what I said, the main shunt was behind her, she had already gone through, it has nothing to do with her speed at that time, and as she said herself she had lifted her foot because she felt the speed wasn't safe. From the footage you yourself posted you can see Patrick's car go through on the inside just after the first two cars clipped each other and as they head across to the outside of the track. The pile up involving Wheldon occurred after that as those two cars came back into the middle of the track.

Of course, you're a man so, of course, you know so much more about these things than a mere woman, so keep believing you are right if it makes you happy.

Whatever way it happened, it shouldn't have and someone died.

Last edited by heddwyn; 10-18-2011 at 10:50 AM.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #13

It has nothing to do with being a man or a woman, but I think we are having a miscommunication. The question is: Did the accident happened in front of Danica Patrick's car or at the back of her car? I say in front. But you are talking about the wreckage, after the accident happened in which as you said, Danica already gone through it. But ask this question: If Danica slammed the brakes and stopped her car as soon as the accident happened, where will all the wreckage would be? The answer is: It will be in front of her car.

The probability of accidents happening in races like the Indy's or NASCAR is greater than driving on the ordinary roads or highways...still many people also die driving on the highways. Like they say, "$hit happens!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #14

Not miscommunication at all, except your first post implied ALL the contact happened in front of Patrick and it didn't. The majority and worst of it happened behind her. As I said before semantics given the outcome.

At least other drivers are now openly saying these cars should not be raced on a circuit such as Las Vegas. I'm sure there'll be a lot more safety aspects built into these cars in the future as a result. Why does it always take a fatality for common sense to prevail.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #15

Here's what I said in my first post: . "It happened in front of Danica Patrick, but she was low...so she was able to avoid the accident and just went through it without any damage to her car."

I was talking about the accident itself, and "was" able to avoid the accident because she "went" through it without damage to her car. She was running fast that she missed all the commotions after the original impact. That's all.
Case closed.

BY THE WAY, WHEN I SAID, HAD DANICA SLAMMED THE BRAKES AND STOPPED, I WAS SPEAKING IN A FIGURATIVE SPEECH FOR THE SAKE OF THE ARGUMENT. OTHERWISE IF SHE DID THAT IN REAL LIFE WITH THE SPEED OF MORE THAN 200 MILES/HR. SHE WOULD HAVE CAUSED ANOTHER ACCIDENT OR PROBABLY ENDED UP ON TOP OF THE GRAND STAND.

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #16

I think we can all agree that something needs to be done....I like Judge Buzzers idea of Heat races to qualify for the big race (but only on the banked ovals).

Hopefully the 2012 Dallara chassis (wish I knew how to attach a picture of it, very sporty looking) will be a huge safety improvement for the drivers we all love.

I was lucky enough to meet and talk with Dan Wheldon a few years back at the Richmond track, very nice man.... He will be truly missed.
JJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #17

Originally Posted by JJfan View Post
I think we can all agree that something needs to be done....I like Judge Buzzers idea of Heat races to qualify for the big race (but only on the banked ovals).

Hopefully the 2012 Dallara chassis (wish I knew how to attach a picture of it, very sporty looking) will be a huge safety improvement for the drivers we all love.

I was lucky enough to meet and talk with Dan Wheldon a few years back at the Richmond track, very nice man.... He will be truly missed.
Here you go, JJfan...

2012 Dallara chassis

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
Contest Statistician

Point of clarity, she was both behind and ahead of the accident. The accident wasn't a singular event. It is more of an 'incident' then and 'accident'.

The initial contact that started the chain of events was ahead of her. She was able to avoid it. As she passed the initial parts of the incident. Those behind her were not able too and that is where the major part of the incident occured.

I did watch the race in between breaks in the Football game and see a lot of the interviews until they annouced he had died (though just missed the crash live). She was also fortunate to be on the low part of the track. In her interview she said basically it was by her design to be lower on the track at that point in the race becuase there was too much potential for trouble.

The main problem is that the cars are too fast for some of these oval tracks. But that is by design. The have positioned themselves in the racing market as the fastest thing on 4 wheels. The racing was too close at that high a speed. There were way too many cars in the field for the track and because of the size of the field there were too many less experienced drivers and part time drivers. The regular drivers in the field knew it, that is why they had concerns before the race which proved correct.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #19

Thank you dangerbob.

Just read today Dallara is naming the new designed chassis in honor of Dan Wheldon.
Danny did the majority of track testing for the 2012 Dallara.
JJfan is offline   Reply With Quote