Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

The Championships, Wimbledon 2010

It was really tough waiting until the second week to start this thread, especially with some high drama the first week. Notably, the longest match ever in tennis, the 11 hour 5 minute, 3 day marathon between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut, in which Isner outlasted Mahut 6–4, 3–6, 6–7(7), 7–6(3), 70–68...in case you've not been following...that last set score is not a typo...70-68...there is no tie-break in the fifth set at Wimbledon...and with two powerful servers with weak return games they just held serve over and over and over and....on and on over three days...the match has spawned its own Wikipedia page:

Isner-Mahut match at the 2010 Wimbledon Championships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overall, on the men's side the top names you'd expect are still there, albeit with some serious close calls for Federer and Nadal, but enough of that...let's move on to the ladies!

My four favorite players, male or female, are still in it going into the Round of 16: Kim Clijsters, Jelena Jankovic, Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams. I'll do a separate post on each player. In the meantime, here is the ladies' draw going into the Round of 16.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #2

I'll start with Jelena Jankovic. On paper, she should get by Vera Zvonereva. But the same problem always exists with Jelena. It seems the trainer should just have a seat on court with the players, because Jelena will call for one every match. Can her body hold up? Also, her game can sometimes leave her. At the French against Samantha Stosur (who was ousted early at Wimbledon), Jelena was completely embarrassed by the Aussie. Stosur was playing well, but there is no excuse for a player of Jelena's caliber looking as dazed and lost as she looked. She seemed to have the fight taken out of her. She didn't try mixing things up and coming to the net and trying different spins and slices. Francesca Schiavone (who lost in the first round of Wimbledon) did and beat Stosur in straight sets. Jelena has to keep fighting when adversity hits.

Earlier in the tournament, Queen Elizabeth II made her first visit to Wimbledon since 1977. Jelena had the chance to meet the Queen. She talks about that meeting here.

Here is a video of QE II's visit and meeting the players past and present, such as Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova, Jelena Jankovic, Caroline Wozniacki, Serena Williams and Roger Federer.

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
NTB

Bobby you are the man.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
Bobby you are the man.
Thanks...I have loved tennis basically my whole life...no doubt it shows...

Could Wimbledon be the completion of Maria Sharapova's comeback from injury? The three-time Grand Slam champion, who won Wimbledon in 2004 as a 17 year old, has two tournament victories this year. But a closer look at her record in 2010 reveals something striking about her results:

Although she has 2 tournament victories this year, and that's a great achievement, every win this year has come against a player currently outside the Top 30. Every loss has come against a player currently in the Top 30. Her next match? Definitely against a Top 30 player. Maybe you've heard of her.

A win against the #1 seed and top player on tour would be a true statement of her comeback completion. But that will be tough. Although the media focuses on her Wimbledon victory over Serena in 2004, Serena has had the best of this rivalry. There are some intangibles that give Sharapova a chance, and she is completely fearless, win or lose. But overcoming Serena will be a very tough task. Not impossible, though.

Masha (her nickname) talks to Tennis Channel here:

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #5

Venus is going for her sixth Wimbledon singles championship. On the grass of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, she is a different player. She has 5 titles and 3 runners-up. If not for her sister Serena, the player who beat her in those 3 runners-up finishes, Venus might be threatening the all-time record of 9 singles titles by Martina Navratilova. Venus is helped by being in a weak part of the draw. She shouldn't face a threat until the semis (sorry, Marion Bartoli...I know you are a former finalist at Wimbledon, but if you face Venus in the quarters, you will have your hands full).

Here is a video of Venus hosting a pre-Wimbledon event (co-hosted by Boris Becker) that raised money for the fight against breast cancer.

And speaking of pre-tourney parties, here is one hosted by the Chairman of the Virgin Group, Richard Branson...I love how they treat tennis players like movie stars here...nice to see them in formals...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-27-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

And, of course, my absolute favorite player since Monica Seles, Kim Clijsters! I missed her at Roland Garros as she was rehabbing an injury. Is she 100% back? I don't know...she was bounced out of Eastbourne on grass a week and a half ago. The mowed lawns in London have not been her best surface. She says she feels better on grass now, but while Kimmie has reached two Wimbledon semifinals her Round of 16 opponent is also on a quest for her first Wimbledon title and has had more success by reaching two finals.

Kim has a chance against Justine, a good chance. But despite holding two narrow victories over Justine this year, the combination of Justine's results historically at Wimbledon and the questions surrounding Kim's fitness, I have to make Henin the favorite going into the match. But it could most certainly go either way. The Battle of the Belgians is my match to watch in this round.

Here is Kim talking about her family commitments and her comfort this year at Wimbledon.

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #7

I'm not into tennis like you are, Bobby, but I do enjoy it. I also enjoy your posts, too. Thanx

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I'm not into tennis like you are, Bobby, but I do enjoy it. I also enjoy your posts, too. Thanx

Viva Annika
Thanks...I try to make my posts (unless they are quick replies or answers to other members' questions) as multimedia intensive as I can without going too overboard...

...the beautiful thing about being a longtime tennis fan from my youth is that back in the late 70s into and throughout the 80s there were so many great women stars in the game...Chris Evert (Lloyd, at the time), Martina Navratilova, Evonne Goolagong, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Aranxta Sanchez Vicario, Gabriela Sabatini, etc...that I grew up rooting for women athletes...I didn't see that as any different than rooting for the men...in fact, outside of Ivan Lendl, I rooted more for the women than the men...

...that led to me being a big fan of other women athletes in the 80s, 90s on through to today like Michelle Kwan, Jennifer Azzi, Se Ri Pak, Grace Park, Alison Fisher (billiards is so a sport!), Fu Mingxia (diving), Chamique Holdsclaw, Kim Clijsters, etc...I could fill pages with all the names...the point is, women's sports is a hard sell in the U.S., particularly to men...but growing up rooting for women tennis players laid a foundation for me to see great women athletes as just great athletes...

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #9

Sad news from the tennis world. It is being reported that Jennifer Capriati was rushed to the hospital due to a drug overdose. According to her father, she is ok and in stable condition. What is sad to me is I thought Jennifer had put this behind her. It seems not. If this is true, and I need to hear more detailed reporting on this to make an accurate assessment of where she is in her life, then I hope she can get the help she needs to overcome the issues in her life that lead to self-destructive behavior.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #10

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Sad news from the tennis world. It is being reported that Jennifer Capriati was rushed to the hospital due to a drug overdose. According to her father, she is ok and in stable condition. What is sad to me is I thought Jennifer had put this behind her. It seems not. If this is true, and I need to hear more detailed reporting on this to make an accurate assessment of where she is in her life, then I hope she can get the help she needs to overcome the issues in her life that lead to self-destructive behavior.

Jennifer Capriati recovering from drug overdose

By ANTONIO GONZALEZ, Associated Press Writer Antonio Gonzalez, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 45 mins ago

A spokeswoman for Jennifer Capriati says the former top-ranked tennis player is recovering from an "accidental overdose" of prescribed medication.

Lacey Wickline told The Associated Press on Monday that the 34-year-old Capriati is stable and a full recovery is expected. She declined to identify the medication.

The spokeswoman says Capriati was rushed to a South Florida hospital early Sunday morning. Wickline would not say how Capriati was found or who called emergency services.

Capriati won three majors in a career that was sidetracked by personal troubles.

Celebrity website TMZ first reported that Capriati was hospitalized.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote