Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Brandel is the best

Great to see a knowledgeable take on the LPGA:

LPGA Titleholders event needs to go a step further

Published: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 | 07:31:24 PM

John Raoux/AP
Hee Young Park won the Titleholders on Sunday.

From 1937 through 1966 the Titleholders was held in Augusta and brought together the best in women's golf. Now it has been rejuvenated—with a twist. In 2011 the top three finishers in each LPGA event qualified for the Titleholders, which caps the season. That's a cool way to assemble a field, but what truly sets the Titleholders apart is its purse distribution. Most events award the winner 15% of the purse, but the Titleholders' winner ( Hee Young Park) received one third. The $500,000 payout makes it the LPGA's second-largest winner's check, topped only by the U.S. Women's Open ($585,000).
The Titleholders is as much about the memories as the format. Patty Berg won the first edition and went on to win it six more times. Declared a major by the LPGA in 1950, the Titleholders grew in prestige exponentially, and the list of winners includes Louise Suggs, Babe Zaharias, Mickey Wright and Kathy Whitworth. I think commissioner Mike Whan is clever to try to harken back to the legends, especially Whitworth and Wright, who have a mystique that is along the lines of Bob Jones and Ben Hogan. Whan should go a step further, though.
In keeping with the event's traditions and recognizing the global nature of the game, every significant winner in women's golf should be invited—from the Japanese tour to the Asian and European tours. And since the event was originally made up of mostly amateurs, invite them, too. This event could celebrate the past and introduce us to the world of golf the way the World Golf Championships do on the men's tour.
Brandel Chamblee is a 15-year PGA Tour vet and a Golf Channel analyst.

Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

Buzzer,

I want you to know that I had a perfect replacement name for the CME Group Titleholders which would more accurately describe what it actually is but in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will not post it.

By the way, speaking of sponsors, there is a Walmart commercial running on TV now that, although short, contains a big message and is also very cute.

Walmart Black Friday 2011- Shopping List - YouTube
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
NTB

I have always liked Brandel.always considered him the best.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

Originally Posted by NTB View Post
I have always liked Brandel.always considered him the best.
The best what?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #5

Winners of KLPGA,JLPGA and LET events,who aren't regulars at LPGA events,are highly unlikely to fly across the globe,in the middle of November,for one tournament to honour (or brown nose) the LPGA's sponsors and/or historical traditions.

Particularly as the prize money tapers off quickly with such a large chunk going to the winner.

It also coincides with tour championship events in both Japan and South Korea.

If Chamblee wants this to be some kind of global celebration of women's golf,akin to the men's World Golf Championship events,it would have to move to a more convenient spot on the calendar.

Anyway,I'm not sure that Chamblee and Whan have the same views as to what this tournament should be...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #6

Ironically, every "significant" winner on the LET was present in the Titleholders....they just happen to be LPGA members as well...Yani (winner of the most LET tournaments & 1 LET major) and Ai Miyazato (winner of the Evian...the LET's other major and official money leader).

Thankfully, the best of the KLPGA already plays in the LPGA. I have a feeling that Na Yeon Choi and Amy Yang would probably dominate the KLPGA if they were to go back. Hee Yong Park, Jiyai Shin (even with her injuries), I.K. Kim, Inbee Park, & Song-Hee Kim would all grab wins in bunches if any of them were to go back.

As for the JLPGA...the truth is their players (in general) just aren't at the LPGA's level. Look no further than Sun Ju Anh (their 2011 money leader). She hasn't played well in any of the LPGA events. In my opinion, she is ranked way too high on the Rolex Rankings. Also consider Shan-shan Feng who has zero LPGA wins yet has already won twice on the JLPGA (playing part-time) and regularly contends in JLPGA tournaments. What's scary is Feng may decide to leap to the JLPGA because of her success there.
prime007 is offline   Reply With Quote