Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Black Widow Takes Down The Big Boys

Barely 100 pounds, Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas triumphed over the boys in what has to be a sport greater than all other sports combined! Serena? Tiger? Phelps? Armstrong? All amateurs compared to the brilliant athletes of competitive eating! Behold the passion, the skill, the drama, the heights of joy and the depths of defeat that define this king of all sports!

from Sonya Thomas beats Joey Chestnut in Buffalo chicken wing eating contest - National Young Adult Pop Culture | Examiner.com

Sonya Thomas beats Joey Chestnut in Buffalo chicken wing eating contest -- Some people spend Labor Day weekend boarding up their cottages at the lake or getting in a little last-minute fishing. Others relax by gaming non-stop or catching up on back seasons of Dexter or maybe doing a little back-to-school shopping. Then there are those who see how many Buffalo chicken wings they can stuff in their faces to set a new record. Such was the case with Sonya "Black Widow" Thomas of Virginia who beat out America's #1 competitive eater, Joey "Jaws" Chestnut, Sunday in the ninth annual National Buffalo Wing Festival in, where else but, Buffalo, New York.

Ms. Thomas, who chose her stage name because she says she "wants to make boys" out of bigger male competitive eaters, managed to gobble down 181 chicken wings in just 12 minutes, besting Mr. Chestnut, who came in second with 169 wings. That's 4.86 pounds of chicken meat to 4.55 pounds and a new national record.

Reportedly, it was the Black Widow's hand action rather than her jaw action that won her the prize. She says the skills needed to win these contests (she has entered and won several with different kinds of foods) are: "stomach capacity, jaw strength, and hand speed."

Despite her eating 'ability,' Ms. Thomas remains a normal weight for her petite, Korean-American frame. According to her website, she is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 100 pounds.

Asked whether she ever gets sick after a contest, she replied that she does not. "The cheesecake [contest] was a challenge, however, because I'm not used to eating rich sweets, especially in such large quantities." The eater says that she normally eats a healthy diet and that the contests are the "exception" rather than the rule of her eating regimen.

Asked about her future goals, Ms. Thomas said that she wants to become the world's #1 competitive eater. Other than that, she says that wants to one day open her own fast food restaurant.

Did she really say fast food?

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #2

Well, put me down for the "I don't get it" category. I can't believe they filled a stadium with people to watch this. What am I missing here?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Well, put me down for the "I don't get it" category. I can't believe they filled a stadium with people to watch this. What am I missing here?
Maybe some said the same at the inception of the NFL, or the World Cup, or in ancient Athens at the first Olympics...but now look how big they have become. In time, competitive eating will reach such heights!

But really, I think ESPN giving national coverage to the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest, and it's first present-day (it's been around a long time) superstar, Kobayashi, went a long way to making these popular, along with the tongue in cheek pseudo-serious commentary. Then with fan friendly competitors like Badlands Booker and future superstar Joey Chestnut, along with diminutive Sonya Thomas, people started to get to know the athletes. Imagine that, competitive eating, in a short period of time, has done a pretty good job of marketing their athletes. In fact, here is a mainstream MasterCard ad featuring Sonya Thomas and Kobayashi:

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #4

Maybe it's like car races where people go hoping to see a crash...so in this, they're hoping to see a catastrophic, er....upchuck. Ewwww.

Geez....Asians are even dominating eating contests!
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #5

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post

Maybe it's like car races where people go hoping to see a crash...so in this, they're hoping to see a catastrophic, er....upchuck. Ewwww.

Geez....Asians are even dominating eating contests!
In competitive eating, that is called a "reversal of fortune", which results in an automatic DQ...

...and worry not, Red, White & Blue fans, American Joey Chestnut is currently ranked #1 in the world...yes, they actually have rankings! Although, Sonya is Korean-born American so she's American, too. However, she emigrated to the US in 1997 from South Korea.

Sonya w/Celine Dion

w/Tracy McGrady

w/Andy Dick

Kobayashi, who for many years was ranked #1 by MLE (Major League Eating) and the IFOCE (International Federation of Competitive Eating) had slipped to #3. He is currently unranked due to a contract dispute with MLE. He wants to compete in any eating event he wants while they want him to sign a contract saying he will only compete in events they sanction. I side with Kobayashi. It would be like the LPGA saying to Ai Miyazato that if you play golf on the LPGA tour, you have to sign a contract that stipulates you cannot play on the JLPGA or LET or any other tour.

This all came to a head at the 2010 Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest where Kobayashi was arrested! Yes, that's right...a competitive eater arrested!

How much time do I have on my hands to know all this...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-06-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Barely 100 pounds, Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas triumphed over the boys ...Ms. Thomas, who chose her stage name because she says she "wants to make boys" out of bigger male competitive eaters ...
OMG. Don't tell gxer.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #7

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Then with fan friendly competitors like Badlands Booker and future superstar Joey Chestnut, along with diminutive Sonya Thomas, people started to get to know the athletes.
Athletes? You're kidding right?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

Athletes? You're kidding right?
In fact, so great was the athleticism of Kobayashi in his prime that one had to search deep into the animal kingdom to find a challenge!

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #9

Competitive eating ?

I'll wait for its sister event : the competitive heart attack challenge.

The competitors guzzle down as much crap as they can in an allotted time frame,the first one to keel over and die picks up the trophy.

Or,rather,someone else picks it up for them...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X