LPGA Golf Forum

LPGA Golf Forum (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/)
-   Anything (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f24/)
-   -   Alligator hole (http://www.mylpga.com/forum/f24/alligator-hole-7639.html)

Buzzer 04-14-2012 09:02 PM

Alligator hole

I don't know if anyone saw the RBC Heritage PGA event on TV yesterday (Friday), but Brian Gay was stymied by an alligator. His ball was just a few feet from the snout of a gator estimated to be 10 foot long. His caddy used a rake to annoy the gator into the pond, but the gator wouldn't leave the area. Finally the gator was pushed off by the caddy and his rake....just long enough for Gay to make his shot.
You can see a vid of it by going to www.cnn.com then click on sports and golf.
I was there, but didn't see the incident until viewing the vid.
Today, another big gator was walking along a paved area going from one lagoon (pond) to another. This one I saw.
Gators are all over this island. I have one in a lagoon about thirty yards outside my back door. I use the front door after dark.:ani_yes:

Viva Annika

Mr3putt 04-14-2012 09:57 PM

The track looks great.

Very strategic....it's got everything you'd want...trees, sand, waste areas, water and wild life.

I miss seeing the gators on the tracks in MB and Fla.
That gator in the vid was a baby compared to one I saw in MB...but also saw a baby one about 3 ft too.
I also saw a lot of 'man eaters' at the bars in MB too.

We have black bears, deer and bald eagles.

Have fun tomorrow, Buzz.

cougar 04-14-2012 10:15 PM

On TV, they showed a gator crossing the road, then stopping to rest right in the middle of the road. I saw several gators there when I played the course about 25 years ago. Definitely an incentive to keep the ball in play.

dangerbob 04-14-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzer (Post 127043)
I don't know if anyone saw the RBC Heritage PGA event on TV yesterday (Friday), but Brian Gay was stymied by an alligator. His ball was just a few feet from the snout of a gator estimated to be 10 foot long. His caddy used a rake to annoy the gator into the pond, but the gator wouldn't leave the area. Finally the gator was pushed off by the caddy and his rake....just long enough for Gay to make his shot.
You can see a vid of it by going to www.cnn.com then click on sports and golf.
I was there, but didn't see the incident until viewing the vid.
Today, another big gator was walking along a paved area going from one lagoon (pond) to another. This one I saw.
Gators are all over this island. I have one in a lagoon about thirty yards outside my back door. I use the front door after dark.:ani_yes:

Viva Annika

I'm glad his caddy has the balls to push off that gator with his rake.:ani_yahoo:

ctmurray 04-16-2012 09:31 PM

I played that course and had a gator behind me (not that close) but I could not concentrate and topped the ball and RAN after it.

Buzzer 04-16-2012 10:32 PM

All of the courses on this island (and most off near us) have lagoons on them and most have gators in them. They lie on the banks every morning but seldom move too far away from their pond. When, or if, they move from one pond to another you can see them easily....they won't chase you if you keep your distance.
Once they reach 11 feet (I think) Critter Control gets them and has to destroy them.
Unfortunately, quite often vacationers that spend a week or two down here go home without the family dog. If you live near a gator pond, as I do, you never let your dog out at night without him being on a leash.....always gotta be somebody learn the hard way.
I bought a 40 ft. length of nylon rope for my pooch. At night we walk the dark road in front of the house. Just him, me and a big flashlight.
No gators at night. Just little critters, snakes and deer.

Viva Annika

Blue 04-17-2012 07:06 AM

No alligators where I live. Did see a couple of moose recently.

benchjockey 04-17-2012 09:01 AM

I saw a fox at a high school baseball game yesterday.
Note to self: Lock up the chickens.

Buzzer 04-17-2012 09:37 AM

If you have never been to Hilton Head go to www.cnn.com and click on sports and then golf. There is a gallery of pix taken by a SI photographer that is away from the tournament site....some really nice pix.

Hey DangerBoob....my kayak is in there....

Viva Annika

dangerbob 04-17-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzer (Post 127088)
If you have never been to Hilton Head go to www.cnn.com and click on sports and then golf. There is a gallery of pix taken by a SI photographer that is away from the tournament site....some really nice pix.

Hey DangerBoob....my kayak is in there....

Viva Annika

You mean the one with the GPS in it?

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/a...race/kayak.jpg
So he doesn't get lost while navigating the pond looking for gators.