Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Donating Member

Advice on volunteering

I am considering volunteering for a Senior event coming up. They ask you work 4 shifts of 4 hours. You get to select what you want to volunteer to do.

Those with experience I would appreciate your advice.

What do you think of the various jobs?

Marshalling a hole. Whats that like for 4 hours? Seems about my pace. I think I have seen these people and they seem to move around once in a while. Maybe allow you to move down the hole so you see more stuff and don't get bored?

Helping out at the driving range or putting green. This might be fun as you see the players up close.

Scoring a hole - this person enters information into Shotlink Palm pilot device and walks along with the group. I am fairly technical but seems you would be so involved in entering data you might not see much.

Manual scoreboard keeping?

Scorer walking with the group holding the placard. Does this get tiring to hold?

Servicing the tents and skyboxes. Not sure what this is about.

Handing out information booklets (programs?).

Helping with communications. Again don't know what they are talking about.

I may have missed some of the categories in my list above. Are there other enjoyable jobs?
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

CT - I've volunteered at 3 CN Canadian Women's Open tournaments (doing it again in Vancouver in 2012 - hope there's no riots!) and I've always been a driver for player transportation. You get to meet a lot of the players (and a lot of "execs" that you haven't a clue who they are) and if time permits, - ie: distance you're travelling -you can have some pretty good conversations with them. Only stipulation there is, YOU don't start the conversation, ie: don't ask questions, etc.) If they start to talk about something other than "nice day" then have at it. Some players are very talkative and others don't say a word - they may be checking their blackberry, listing to music on their IPod or just chilling. Usually when you pick up more than one player or a couple of players and their caddies, they all discuss the tournament and you just basically eavesdrop.

Walking scorer, from what I've heard, can be tough, especially if it's a long course, or if it's scorching hot. Most of the time you aren't just sauntering along, you have to keep up to the players. Don't know how heavy those things are but I can't imagine they'd be too bad.

Servicing the skyboxes and tents translates into keeping the area clean, picking up empty bottles, cans, plates, etc. and throwing them in the garbage, and things like that. You'd meet a long of strangers, but no players and if the areas are full of people, you'd likely be too busy to watch any golf. Wouldn't be something I'd choose.

I've known people that have worked the driving range and they like it - like you said, you get to see a lot of the players. If you're only working for 4 hours/day, you still have lots of time to see some golf action after or before your shift.

Helping with communications might be different at different tournaments but the ones I've been to here has you working in a little room behind the scenes and getting the hole results from the folks keeping score at each green. B-O-R-I-N-G!

Hope that helps you a bit.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #3

My experience has been solely as a marshall or hole captain. Depending on where you are on the hole, there can be a lot of opportunities to meet and get to know the players. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Donating Member

Thanks for the thoughts.

I decided to not even mention driving the players. The course (and presumably where ever the players want to go) is on a side of town I do not know at all. I could use my Garmin but I suspect they would want people more familiar with the area. I can barely make it to the course each year I go.

MarinePaul - what does a hole captain do? I assume that this is reserved for the returning volunteers. But still wonder what that entails?
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
Thanks for the thoughts.

I decided to not even mention driving the players. The course (and presumably where ever the players want to go) is on a side of town I do not know at all. I could use my Garmin but I suspect they would want people more familiar with the area. I can barely make it to the course each year I go.

MarinePaul - what does a hole captain do? I assume that this is reserved for the returning volunteers. But still wonder what that entails?
CT, all I did was assign the marshals to their positions on the hole we were working. I actually had the position the first year I volunteered, so you don't necessarily need experience to do it. It's really just a glorified marshal. They basically gave me the job because I was the oldest person on the crew, I think.

Our hole was a dogleg left and had a bridge that crossed a creek about 150 yards down the fairway. We usually had two marshals at the green, one at the turn, one at the bridge and one at the tee box. I tried to alternate where the marshals worked from day to day, but some preferred a certain area. Personally, I worked the tee box every day.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

Are you kidding me, MP? They gave you the Captain's job because you are a UNITED STATES MARINE!
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #7

Didn't he say he got that job because he was old?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Didn't he say he got that job because he was old?

I'm not saying I'm old, but I remember when dirt was clean.