Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 03:36 AM   #1

2015 Women's World Cup

more pics and video on my blog: United States Women’s National Team Ready For 2015 Women’s World Cup

Alex Morgan

It’s time again for the greatest event in women’s soccer (or football for the non-Yanks), the Women’s World Cup. I’m not terribly happy about the ladies playing on artificial turf, but these days that’s the least of FIFA’s blunders. Of course, my focus is on the United States Women’s National Team. As a big fan of Hope Solo and Abby Wambach, I’d love to see them go out as champions. I suppose Hope could play another World Cup if she made that decision down the line, but for Abby this is it. The key to their chances, however, might just lie in the health of superstar Alex Morgan. A bruised bone in her knee, which has put her on the shelf recently, leaves the American team’s chances in question. Alex says she will be ready. But athletes and their knees are tricky things. We just watched Kyrie Irving of the Cleveland Cavaliers try to push through knee problems in the NBA Finals, only to have his season end. I respect all the players on the USWNT and they can play well without any one person. But without players like Solo, Wambach or Morgan…there might be that one game where they would miss them. If that game comes in the knockout stage, well…that’s the end. For now, I will focus on the beginning and hope for the best. The beginning for the American women is a group stage match against Australia on June 8th. Also in Group D with the Americans and Australians are Sweden and Nigeria. Oh, and yes, Sweden is coached by former USWNT coach, Pia Sundhage, who guided the Americans to the 2011 WWC runner-up, losing to Japan in the championship match. Her knowledge of the United States squad could give Sundhage an advantage over US coach Jillian Ellis. On the other hand, there might be extra motivation for the Americans to best the coach that left them to go home.

HOPE SOLO

ALEX MORGAN

SYDNEY LEROUX

CHRISTEN PRESS

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-07-2015 at 04:11 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

Nisa Romyen

Of course, my first loyalty is to the United States squad. But right behind them for me is Thailand. I am sitting here listening to the Thai National Anthem be played before Thailand's "War Elephants" take on Norway in the first ever Women's World Cup appearance by the Thai Women's National Team. The War Elephants are ranked 29th in the world. More than likely, they will get the brakes beaten off of them by Norway (11th) and Germany (1st) in Group B. Their best chance at a point is against Ivory Coast (67th). But whatever happens, I am so proud that this traditionally underfunded women's squad from Thailand even made it here. The future is what matters most as their appearance in the WWC has prompted better funding from the Royal Thai Football Federation.

Pikul Khueanpat

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

TRINE RONNING

As I suspected, Thailand was rudely welcomed to their first ever Women's World Cup with a 4-0 loss to Norway. But I remain proud of the Thai women no matter how they do. They simply have a lot of work to do in the coming years to hopefully one day be a more competitive team. At least they did better than the Ivory Coast, which was walloped by Germany 10-0 in the second worst Women's World Cup result ever. It was 5-0 at half time. Heck, it was 5-0 by the 35th minute. Thailand has to play Ivory Coast in their group. That is their opportunity to play a winnable game.

NORWAY d. Thailand 4-0

GERMANY d. Ivory Coast 10-0

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #4

more pics on my blog: Hope Solo, Megan Rapinoe, Christen Press Star As United States Wins Opening Match 3-1 Against Australia At 2015 Women’s World Cup

Hope Solo

With controversy and court proceedings swirling around her off the pitch, Hope Solo continues to be as great a goalkeeper as ever on it. Although she gave up a goal, which was on a shot she could have done little about, in the United States Women’s National Team’s 3-1 victory over Australia in their opening match of the 2015 Women’s World Cup, Hope made a couple of brilliant early saves on shot attempts that could have put the Americans in a 2 goal deficit at halftime instead of being tied 1-1. The defense was especially ragged early, often out of position or slow to react. Those saves by Solo gave the U.S. a chance to settle down defensively, which they did. But moving forward, they will need to be a lot better throughout games from beginning to finish if they are to contend for the championship. Meanwhile, as the defense was coming together, the Americans received an offensive punch from Megan Repinoe with 2 goals and Christen Press with her first ever Women’s World Cup goal off a terrific crossing pass from Sydney Leroux. If the U.S. squad only has a limited Alex Morgan, who subbed in late in the 79th minute, then they will need players like Rapinoe, Leroux and Press to step up as they did in the opening game.

USA d. Australia 3-1

MEGAN RAPINOE

HOPE SOLO

CHRISTEN PRESS

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Are many people here watching this? Yet to see any matches myself. Heard there was some controversy surrounding playing the matches on artificial turf.
LPGAIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #6

Originally Posted by LPGAIreland View Post
Are many people here watching this? Yet to see any matches myself. Heard there was some controversy surrounding playing the matches on artificial turf.
There are several issues that players have brought up concerning the Women's World Cup being played on artificial turf. One is the greater chances of "turf burn". Clearly, skinned limbs and injuries happen on grass as well. But players claim with essentially a plastic surface with rubber filler increases those injuries. USA squad member Sydney Leroux posted a picture of how her legs looked after playing a game on turf in 2013.

So did Samantha Kerr of Australia:

So that's one issue. Another is that while it's always hotter on the playing surface than in the atmosphere, temperatures on plastic turf can be far higher. Surface temperature of the artificial turf for Canada's opening match was said to be 120 F (49 C).

Also, see that black stuff behind Megan Rapinoe's shoes scraping across the turf? That's not dirt. It's "crumb rubber", basically old ground up tires, that some say are a potenital health hazard for those who play on it long term. They are like small rubber pellets that often get into players' mouths and noses.

Finally, FIFA doesn't have the men play their World Cup on artificial turf, so for many of the women's players it's also a question of gender equity. Here's a surface that almost none of them prefer over grass, many don't want to play on, hurts their limbs when sliding more than grass, could be a health hazard and isn't good enough for the men for their World Cup...yet FIFA forces the women to play on it (and the Canadian Federation is culpable too). And don't be fooled by anything they say as an excuse or whatever they say "experts" claim about artificial turf safety...this is ALL ABOUT MONEY. It's cheaper to maintain artificial fields. And that's sad. FIFA, a cash making, bribe taking, money machine has basically decided to produce the WWC on the cheap.

I have heard FIFA will not have artificial turf WWC in the future. Sounds like either the criticism became loud enough....or maybe they are desperate for some good press right now so they are reversing course. But let me say I heard that as a rumor...I haven't read anywhere that they have pledged going forward to play on natural grass. So we'll see.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-11-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #7

Thailand's Orathai Srimanee scores her second goal of the game vs Ivory Coast

This was the best day watching women's soccer for me since Abby Wambach saved the day for the USA against Brazil in stoppage time (sending the match to a deciding pk stage) at the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup. Thailand earned their first points ever in a Women's World Cup match by edging the Ivory Coast, 3-2. The star of the game for the War Elephants was midfielder Orathai Srimanee, who scored twice including a nice header in first half stoppage time that needed a Hawkeye review for confirmation. Srimanee went out of the game in the 74th minute, appearing to cramp. A minute later her replacement, Thatta Chawong, scored on another header.

Ok, all of that said...I believe in fair play so I have to admit this. On Thailand's first goal, it looked like maybe 3 players were offside. And the goal by Chawong also looked like the referees again missed an offside by Thailand. Ivory Coast also missed a point blank open net in the first half stoppage time. So if someone were to make a case that Ivory Coast should have won, I won't argue with that assertion. I'll just say that in the end, they didn't. Thailand did. And with Germany up next, smarting from a tie with Norway, this was the match the War Elephants needed to get their first ever points...and they did.

THAILAND d. Ivory Coast 3-2

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-11-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
Contest Statistician

Pick your socks up, they do go up to your knees. A lot of soccer is played in the US on turf, it is not a big deal.

I am rooting against the us because I despise Hope Solo. If she were playing in the NFL or the NBA she would have had a long suspension.

Plus she has some insane selfies that were hacked from her phone.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #9

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Pick your socks up, they do go up to your knees. A lot of soccer is played in the US on turf, it is not a big deal.

I am rooting against the us because I despise Hope Solo. If she were playing in the NFL or the NBA she would have had a long suspension.

Plus she has some insane selfies that were hacked from her phone.
Certainly, I cannot blame anybody for having a negative opinion of Hope Solo. She has done little to endear herself to anybody apart from being a great goalkeeper. She clearly has a problem with alcohol and anger management while under the influence.

But let me say this about domestic violence. We need a more nuanced national discussion about what domestic violence is and what, if any, levels there are to domestic violence. One might dismiss what I have to say as the ramblings of a Hope Solo fan, but consider that I was a victim of severe child abuse. I was removed from my home by social services. There are stab wounds, open fire burn wounds and marks from lacerations that I will carry with me until I die. As an 8 year old, I was beaten bloody on a regular basis, both from open wounds and spitting up blood from stomach blunt force. I endured some things I cannot even reveal here as they are far too graphic for a forum board. One thing I know about domestic violence is that it often isn't only about a singular act of violence. Rather, it is often about a pattern of physical and psychological control.

So to me, there are levels. Not everything is apples to apples.So using an umbrella term of domestic violence can paint one incident as the same as another when really there needs to be a more nuanced definition. If two brothers or sisters get into an argument at a family bbq and fight is that the same as a husband smacking his wife to exert physical and psychological dominance? I'm not so sure I would necessarily call those the same thing. What Greg Hardy did, beating his girlfriend and throwing her on a bed of guns threatening to kill her. To me that's not quite the same as two siblings having an argument that gets out of control.

Also consider that both Hope Solo and her much bigger nephew struck blows. Hope was hit with a blunt stick that could have caused serious damage. Long before any of this happened I always had the sense that her family history and the relationships therein were toxic. I was not at all surprised at this happening when I first heard about it. I know Hope went off on the cops after her arrest. They obviously took the sister and nephew's side. But that doesn't mean the cops got the story right. Cops often show up at domestic disputes and have to make an on the scene decision. They don't always get it right.

All of that said, the truth is only Hope, her sister and her nephew know who the aggressor was. And let's not forget that the sister has changed her story about the details of what occured. But again, for me I question whether every fight should be called domestic violence or at least we should have levels when we talk about it. To use one blanket term for what Greg Hardy did and Ray McDonald seemingly continues to do (classic domestic violence control tactics) to what Ray Rice did to what Hope Solo and her sister/nephew did to me gives a false equivalency.

As far as the selfies. That's private and should never have been leaked. What people do in their free time as it pertains to their bodies and what they like to do with their bodies by themselves or with various partners...so long as all parties are consenting adults and nothing criminal is happening...all good.

But here's where I go against Hope Solo. She needs to be in alcohol treatment and stay there in an ongoing basis. The fight with her sister/nephew...the issue with the team van and her husband...the domestic violence charge with then fiance/now husband all have a common thread of alcohol/drunkenness. Frankly, I worry about her relationship with Jerramy Stevens. He clearly also has an alcohol issue and has a history of DUI. Not only that, he has a rape accusation in his past involving possible use of a date rape drug. Again, violence mixed with control, an insidious level of control in this case where a person is drugged. And he was accused of domestic violence against Hope before they were married.

I said I wasn't surprised, given what I had read and heard about her family situation, that it spilled over into a physical confrontation. Sadly, I hate to say this but I won't be surprised if one day I wake up to the news saying there has been a tragic and fatal automobile accident involving her and Stevens where DUI was involved. I also won't be surprised if there is another domestic violence incident between the two where Hope is more seriously injured.

I have to agree with many of her detractors. Hope Solo is a mess off the pitch. She needs to be in ongoing serious counseling. There are things in her life that could shorten her life if she doesn't get the help she needs...and maybe also if her husband doesn't get the help he needs. But equating what happened with her sister/nephew to an NFL player like Greg Hardy...I'm not sure that's exactly apples to apples.

Let me be clear...nobody should be putting their hands on anybody. But there are a lot of people who grew up with siblings who got into fights over the years with them. Should every fight you have with your brother be called domestic violence? Then again, it's tricky because you might argue that the Ray Rice situation started as an argument that went out of control. Where is that line? Is it man vs woman? Is it size vs size? Is it wife, husband or partner violence? Is it the level of injury resulting from the fight? A fight between brothers at home where it's broken up and nobody is seriously hurt...is that different than if somebody gets seriously hurt? Again, to me there needs to be a discussion about the nuances of domestic violence. But there won't be. People like to have neat, easy to use umbrella terms they don't have to think about critically. In any case, Hope needs professional help. I hope she gets it and her husband gets it.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-12-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

more pics and video on my blog: Team USA Plays To 0-0 Tie Against Sweden In Group D Match At 2015 Women’s World Cup

Hedvig Lindahl of Sweden denies Team USA

In a grudge match against former USWNT coach Pia Sundhage, Team USA was forced to settle for a 0-0 tie in Group D play at the 2015 Women’s World Cup. After giving up 3 goals to Nigeria, Swedish goalkeeper Hedvig Lindahl bounced back with a strong effort to deny the American squad on several goal opportunities. Coach Sundhage doesn’t hold her tongue, giving the USA some extra motivation with comments this past year about Carli Lloyd, Abby Wambach and controversial goalkeeper Hope Solo. Once again, Solo was solid in goal (with a little assistance) and Wambach did give a spark when she subbed in for emerging star Cristen Press late in the second half. However, the best save of the game for the Americans was by Meghan Klingenberg, heading off a shot that would have won the match for Sweden. It was a good move by Solo to hold Klingenberg in position in goal on that play with a crowded box. Swedish goalkeeper Lindahl was named Player of the Match, but that save by Klingenberg to me was the play of the match. It kept Team USA in the lead in Group D at 4 points. But there is all to play for against Nigeria (1 pt) on Tuesday. Australia (3 pts) will take on Sweden (2 pts) in the other Group D match. The USA, thanks to their defense with Hope Solo (and Klingenberg) does have the only positive goal differential in Group D.

UNITED STATES ties Sweden, 0-0

---Bruce Lee