Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Certainly, I cannot blame anybody for having a negative opinion of Hope Solo. She has done little to endear herself to anybody apart from being a great goalkeeper. She clearly has a problem with alcohol and anger management while under the influence.

But let me say this about domestic violence. We need a more nuanced national discussion about what domestic violence is and what, if any, levels there are to domestic violence. One might dismiss what I have to say as the ramblings of a Hope Solo fan, but consider that I was a victim of severe child abuse. I was removed from my home by social services. There are stab wounds, open fire burn wounds and marks from lacerations that I will carry with me until I die. As an 8 year old, I was beaten bloody on a regular basis, both from open wounds and spitting up blood from stomach blunt force. I endured some things I cannot even reveal here as they are far too graphic for a forum board. One thing I know about domestic violence is that it often isn't only about a singular act of violence. Rather, it is often about a pattern of physical and psychological control.

So to me, there are levels. Not everything is apples to apples.So using an umbrella term of domestic violence can paint one incident as the same as another when really there needs to be a more nuanced definition. If two brothers or sisters get into an argument at a family bbq and fight is that the same as a husband smacking his wife to exert physical and psychological dominance? I'm not so sure I would necessarily call those the same thing. What Greg Hardy did, beating his girlfriend and throwing her on a bed of guns threatening to kill her. To me that's not quite the same as two siblings having an argument that gets out of control.

Also consider that both Hope Solo and her much bigger nephew struck blows. Hope was hit with a blunt stick that could have caused serious damage. Long before any of this happened I always had the sense that her family history and the relationships therein were toxic. I was not at all surprised at this happening when I first heard about it. I know Hope went off on the cops after her arrest. They obviously took the sister and nephew's side. But that doesn't mean the cops got the story right. Cops often show up at domestic disputes and have to make an on the scene decision. They don't always get it right.

All of that said, the truth is only Hope, her sister and her nephew know who the aggressor was. And let's not forget that the sister has changed her story about the details of what occured. But again, for me I question whether every fight should be called domestic violence or at least we should have levels when we talk about it. To use one blanket term for what Greg Hardy did and Ray McDonald seemingly continues to do (classic domestic violence control tactics) to what Ray Rice did to what Hope Solo and her sister/nephew did to me gives a false equivalency.

As far as the selfies. That's private and should never have been leaked. What people do in their free time as it pertains to their bodies and what they like to do with their bodies by themselves or with various partners...so long as all parties are consenting adults and nothing criminal is happening...all good.

But here's where I go against Hope Solo. She needs to be in alcohol treatment and stay there in an ongoing basis. The fight with her sister/nephew...the issue with the team van and her husband...the domestic violence charge with then fiance/now husband all have a common thread of alcohol/drunkenness. Frankly, I worry about her relationship with Jerramy Stevens. He clearly also has an alcohol issue and has a history of DUI. Not only that, he has a rape accusation in his past involving possible use of a date rape drug. Again, violence mixed with control, an insidious level of control in this case where a person is drugged. And he was accused of domestic violence against Hope before they were married.

I said I wasn't surprised, given what I had read and heard about her family situation, that it spilled over into a physical confrontation. Sadly, I hate to say this but I won't be surprised if one day I wake up to the news saying there has been a tragic and fatal automobile accident involving her and Stevens where DUI was involved. I also won't be surprised if there is another domestic violence incident between the two where Hope is more seriously injured.

I have to agree with many of her detractors. Hope Solo is a mess off the pitch. She needs to be in ongoing serious counseling. There are things in her life that could shorten her life if she doesn't get the help she needs...and maybe also if her husband doesn't get the help he needs. But equating what happened with her sister/nephew to an NFL player like Greg Hardy...I'm not sure that's exactly apples to apples.

Let me be clear...nobody should be putting their hands on anybody. But there are a lot of people who grew up with siblings who got into fights over the years with them. Should every fight you have with your brother be called domestic violence? Then again, it's tricky because you might argue that the Ray Rice situation started as an argument that went out of control. Where is that line? Is it man vs woman? Is it size vs size? Is it wife, husband or partner violence? Is it the level of injury resulting from the fight? A fight between brothers at home where it's broken up and nobody is seriously hurt...is that different than if somebody gets seriously hurt? Again, to me there needs to be a discussion about the nuances of domestic violence. But there won't be. People like to have neat, easy to use umbrella terms they don't have to think about critically. In any case, Hope needs professional help. I hope she gets it and her husband gets it.
What a tough childhood for you, BKB. I'm sorry you had to experience all of that.

With regard to the definition of domestic violence, I disagree with the term "domestic violence." Violence is violence. Yes, there are levels of violence -- a one-time slap is not the same as years of torture. But why do we characterize violence between family members or between those sharing a household differently? Is it because for so long this type of abuse was ignored? If so, this definition should be phased out as we begin to recognize that spousal (roommate, girlfiend, boyfriend, relative) abuse is the same as abuse between strangers.

Similarly, I've never agreed with the term "hate crime." Isn't every crime a hate crime? Why do we label crimes differently if the motivation for the crime is the race (gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.) of the victim? If a stranger beats me up on the street because they don't like my skin color, is this somehow worse that someone beating me up because they want my wallet?

About Hope Solo... her off-field behavior is obviously very troubled and filled with incidents of drug and alcohol-fueled violence and misbehvaior. Does this mean she should lose her job? I'm not sure.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
What a tough childhood for you, BKB. I'm sorry you had to experience all of that.

With regard to the definition of domestic violence, I disagree with the term "domestic violence." Violence is violence. Yes, there are levels of violence -- a one-time slap is not the same as years of torture. But why do we characterize violence between family members or between those sharing a household differently? Is it because for so long this type of abuse was ignored? If so, this definition should be phased out as we begin to recognize that spousal (roommate, girlfiend, boyfriend, relative) abuse is the same as abuse between strangers.

Similarly, I've never agreed with the term "hate crime." Isn't every crime a hate crime? Why do we label crimes differently if the motivation for the crime is the race (gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.) of the victim? If a stranger beats me up on the street because they don't like my skin color, is this somehow worse that someone beating me up because they want my wallet?

About Hope Solo... her off-field behavior is obviously very troubled and filled with incidents of drug and alcohol-fueled violence and misbehvaior. Does this mean she should lose her job? I'm not sure.
I'm with you on many points. I've always preferred the term "bias crime" to hate crime...but my feelings on that are a bit too complicated, even for my often longwinded posts. Also, I'm not sure Hope should lose her job either...but I am pretty sure she should seek help with substance abuse...

more pics and video on my blog: Team USA Heads To 2015 Women’s World Cup Round of 16 Vs Colombia

Megan Rapinoe and Abby Wambach

I waited a day after the United States Women’s National Team beat Nigeria 1-0 to post because I wanted to see which squad would oppose the Americans in the round of 16. Well, that and I needed a day to mourn the Cleveland Cavaliers losing the NBA Finals. But…moving on, it will be the USA vs Colombia. There are many reasons to worry about our chances moving forward. Although we should win against Colombia, don’t forget that they pulled off a huge upset during the group stage beating France. What really worries me is the USWNT attack game. 1-0 against Nigeria doesn’t fill me with confidence, especially considering Nigeria played with 10 players for 20 minutes. More importantly, in the last 13 games they’ve played, the US Women’s squad has been shutout 5 times. That can’t happen going forward. I don’t know if they can ride Hope Solo in goal and players like Meghan Klingenberg on defense all the way to a championship. That’s a lot to ask. There’s bound to be a game where the other team gets an early goal, maybe two. Remember that it took a couple of stellar saves by Solo to keep Australia from being up 2-0 early in the first game. If the USA falls behind, do they have the legs to chase down the opposition. It’s not talked about as much as some other issues surrounding the team, but many of the stars of this team, outside of Alex Morgan, are over 30…Abby Wambach is 35. This team is still ranked #2 in the world, an elite squad. But they look a lot more vulnerable than they did in Germany in 2011 when they made the final, finishing runner-up to Japan. Certainly, as a fan of the team…and heck, just as an American…I hope the offense kicks into gear. No matter what happens, lose to Colombia or win the World Cup title, I’ll root for the US Women’s National Team until the final whistle and beyond. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #13

more pics and video on my blog: United States Women’s National Team Defeat Colombia 2-0 In 2015 Women’s World Cup Round of 16

Team USA Celebrates Goal By Alex Morgan

The most important thing is to win and advance. The United States Women’s National Team did just that…some might argue only just that…with a 2-0 victory over Colombia in the 2015 Women’s World Cup round of 16. Focusing on the good first: Alex Morgan, the biggest gun we have on this squad, scored the initial goal that put the Americans up 1-0 in the 53rd minute. Carli Lloyd would add the finishing touch with a penalty kick goal in the 66th minute. Speaking of penalty kicks, Abby Wambach missed one earlier when a red card was issued to Colombian goalkeeper Catalina Perez after she fouled Alex Morgan charging alone into the box, behind the defense. So while the USA did score twice, which is an improvement from the last couple of games, both goals were scored with Colombia having 10 players on the field. I will say that Morgan looked a lot better moving around in this match, getting taken down and bouncing back up while going the distance in minutes played. Although Hope Solo and the the American defenders have not surrendered a goal since an early score by Australia in their first match, I don’t know if they can just ride Solo and the D to victory. Defense might win championships but you still have to score to win games. I’d like to see more of Cristen Press out there in the next game against China. Press has the talent to put pressure on an opposing defense. Our Ladies will need it as Megan Rapinoe will miss the next game after receiving her second yellow card (as will Lauren Holiday). I do have to give credit to Colombia for making things difficult for the USWNT. Don’t forget that Colombia beat world #3 France in Group play, the same French team that looked very impressive against South Korea in the round of 16 knockout stage. So Colombia is a team on the rise. They did a lot of talking before the match. As they grow as a team, perhaps they should concentrate on doing their talking with their play during the match instead. It’s takes more than bulletin board material to beat teams like the USA.

ALEX MORGAN

CARLI LLOYD

HOPE SOLO

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
Contest Statistician

I actually did watch a good portion of the match. Not really impressed by this US team. A win is a win. I also did watch a little of the French match. I like that team.

Bad break for the US losing 2 starters in the next game so you will be getting your wish to see Press.

While I am not really that impressed with Rapinoe, I think that she over plays everything, she does provide that spark that the team needs. At times they let the other team dictate pass and that is something they can not do. Rapinoe supplies the energy to get them going.

Should be a good match with China.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I actually did watch a good portion of the match. Not really impressed by this US team. A win is a win. I also did watch a little of the French match. I like that team.

Bad break for the US losing 2 starters in the next game so you will be getting your wish to see Press.

While I am not really that impressed with Rapinoe, I think that she over plays everything, she does provide that spark that the team needs. At times they let the other team dictate pass and that is something they can not do. Rapinoe supplies the energy to get them going.

Should be a good match with China.
Yes, the French team looked good. I sometimes root for France in both World Cups...I'm a bit of a Francophile, but not against the USA, Thailand or in this case South Korea.

My fandom of Grace, Se Ri and the rest of the Seoul Sisters of women's golf has affected my rooting interests even outside of golf. It's why I became a big fan of Olympic gold medalist figure skaters Kim Yeon-A (Yuna Kim).

But France dismissed the South Koreans pretty effectively. It's terrible draw construction, I don't care what FIFA's excuse is, to have #1 Germany and #3 France meet in a quarterfinal.

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #16

I was hoping Norway and Las Cafeteras would prevail.

Ah,well.

England and the Yanks play a tedious brand of hoofball,bereft of any creativity or imagination. It's almost painful to watch.

Colombia have been one of the two surprise packages at this tournament (alongside the wonderful Matildas) but their lack of firepower upfront ultimately was their undoing.

Nice team to watch,though.

I think the Yanks will miss Megan Rapinoe in the quarter-final ;she does offer something a little different to the 'hoof it forward and hope Wambach sticks her head on it' brand of football we've been seeing.

I think whoever wins the Germany/France game should go on to win the tournament.They look like the best two teams in the competiton.

I've got a fondness for Japan,but it might be a tournament too far for them...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I was hoping Norway and Las Cafeteras would prevail.

Ah,well.

England and the Yanks play a tedious brand of hoofball,bereft of any creativity or imagination. It's almost painful to watch.

Colombia have been one of the two surprise packages at this tournament (alongside the wonderful Matildas) but their lack of firepower upfront ultimately was their undoing.

Nice team to watch,though.

I think the Yanks will miss Megan Rapinoe in the quarter-final ;she does offer something a little different to the 'hoof it forward and hope Wambach sticks her head on it' brand of football we've been seeing.

I think whoever wins the Germany/France game should go on to win the tournament.They look like the best two teams in the competiton.

I've got a fondness for Japan,but it might be a tournament too far for them...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I assume you will be backing England, right? Or will it be Japan that has your heart this World Cup?

more pics and video on my blog: United States Advances To 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup Semifinals With 1-0 Victory Over China

Carli Lloyd Scores Winning Goal

Maybe United States Women’s National Team coach Jill Ellis knows exactly what she’s doing. After all, entering the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup the American squad’s top threat, Alex Morgan, wasn’t 100 percent and their all-time scoring leader, Abby Wambach, is past her prime. Our ladies have the deepest team, perhaps, but that depth is built on an aging foundation. Maybe coach Ellis knows this team isn’t built to overwhelm anybody with their attack game. If the Americans are to win the title, it will be with their defense. Following a 1-0 victory over China in the quarterfinals, it’s that defense that has extended the American’s scoreless streak in this World Cup to 423 minutes since an early goal in their first game. It the longest scoreless streak in Women’s World Cup play by any American team and the third longest streak in Women’s World Cup play by any team. I will say that on this night, the USA looked a lot sharper offensively than in recent games. They’re just not finishing opportunities. This game was not as close as 1-0 might suggest. The performance was impressive, especially devoid of the services of the suspended Megan Rapinoe. Carli Lloyd stepped up to score the game winner for our ladies. But we will need everybody to step up and play their game in the next match against world #1 Germany. As an aside, I continue to wonder who set up this draw…FIFA…where #1 Germany faces #3 France in the quarterfinals and then #2 USA in the semifinals. So #1, #2 and #3 in the world are on the same side of the knockout stage draw while #4 Japan, #6 England, #8 Canada and #10 Australia on the other side. That’s like having #1 Novak Djokovic and #2 Roger Federer on the same side of the draw at Wimbledon, preventing a #1 vs #2 potential final…then throw in #3 Andy Murray as a quarterfinal opponent on the same side of the draw so that at best the final could be #1 vs #4. Okay, FIFA. Whatever.

CARLI LLOYD

HOPE SOLO

JULIE JOHNSTON

---Bruce Lee

Old 06-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #18

I assume you will be backing England, right? Or will it be Japan that has your heart this World Cup?
It's the Nadeshiko for me,Bobby.

They have played really well in spells,without looking dominating,but I do worry that they might not have enough to combat the physicality of either the Yanks or the Germans.

The hysterical over-reaction to England beating Norway -apparently it was 'historical' as they had never won a knockout tie in the WC - has me hoping that Canada dump them out tonight.

Really sad to see France eliminated.They are what women's football should aspire to : their technique,their movement,their passing,it's like watching a men's team.

They also have the best footballer on the planet in Louisa Necib.

The Germans didn't play well but,like your lot,they are incredibly difficult to beat.

Maybe United States Women’s National Team coach Jill Ellis knows exactly what she’s doing. After all, entering the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup the American squad’s top threat, Alex Morgan, wasn’t 100 percent and their all-time scoring leader, Abby Wambach, is past her prime. Our ladies have the deepest team, perhaps, but that depth is built on an aging foundation. Maybe coach Ellis knows this team isn’t built to overwhelm anybody with their attack game. If the Americans are to win the title, it will be with their defense. Following a 1-0 victory over China in the quarterfinals, it’s that defense that has extended the American’s scoreless streak in this World Cup to 423 minutes since an early goal in their first game. It the longest scoreless streak in Women’s World Cup play by any American team and the third longest streak in Women’s World Cup play by any team. I will say that on this night, the USA looked a lot sharper offensively than in recent games. They’re just not finishing opportunities. This game was not as close as 1-0 might suggest. The performance was impressive, especially devoid of the services of the suspended Megan Rapinoe. Carli Lloyd stepped up to score the game winner for our ladies. But we will need everybody to step up and play their game in the next match against world #1 Germany.
It was a well-deserved win,last night,and you're right,you did look much sharper.

You're a better team sans Wambach,but when it comes to the crunch will the coach have the stones to leave her on the bench again.

I've got no idea what China's gameplan was : sit back for 120 minutes and hope for penalties?

It's funny,other than the opening half against the Matildas,Hope Solo has had so little to do she could have stayed back in the hotel and watched it on tv.

Or gone out looking for a fight.

As an aside, I continue to wonder who set up this draw…FIFA…where #1 Germany faces #3 France in the quarterfinals and then #2 USA in the semifinals. So #1, #2 and #3 in the world are on the same side of the knockout stage draw while #4 Japan, #6 England, #8 Canada and #10 Australia on the other side. That’s like having #1 Novak Djokovic and #2 Roger Federer on the same side of the draw at Wimbledon, preventing a #1 vs #2 potential final…then throw in #3 Andy Murray as a quarterfinal opponent on the same side of the draw so that at best the final could be #1 vs #4. Okay, FIFA. Whatever..
It's FIFA,Bobby,so it usually involves large amounts of untraceable money in brown envelopes,high class prostitutes and cocaine ;with a side dish of blatant stupidity thrown in for good measure.

One,two and three should never be in the same side of the draw.Germany and Japan should have been in one half ; the Yanks and France in the other.

It's not like a series of odd results culminated in France and Germany meeting in the quarters.They did everything they were supposed to do by winning their groups. With hindsight,France should have 'thrown' their group and finished second.

It's beyond stupid how they set this tournament up.

But,hey,it's FIFA...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 06-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #19

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
It's the Nadeshiko for me,Bobby.

They have played really well in spells,without looking dominating,but I do worry that they might not have enough to combat the physicality of either the Yanks or the Germans.

The hysterical over-reaction to England beating Norway -apparently it was 'historical' as they had never won a knockout tie in the WC - has me hoping that Canada dump them out tonight.

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I was quite bummed by Canada and the Matildas losing. Canada, oh my goodness, what a horrendous start! And the goal by Japan against Australia was probably offsides. However, I can't complain too much about that as somehow I think fate was with Nadeshiko Japan (and they played better, to boot). So I bid fond farewell to the Matildas.

Engalnd vs Japan, wow...I have reasons to root for both....my growing fondness for Japan from watching so much JLPGA and my fondness for England, partially from a lifetime of watching tennis...and movies (is it wrong for me to think Helen Mirren, the English/Russian actress decades older than I am, is quite fetching?). Hmmm, is it possible to be a true Francophile and Anglophile? It feels like those two things could be at odds at times!

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-29-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #20

I was quite bummed by Canada and the Matildas losing. Canada, oh my goodness, what a horrendous start! And the goal by Japan against Australia was probably offsides. However, I can't complain too much about that as somehow I think fate was with Nadeshiko Japan (and they played better, to boot). So I bid fond farewell to the Matildas.
Canada were pretty awful and went out with a whimper.That sitter Tancredi missed early in the game will probably haunt her for years.I liked Sophie Schmidt in their midfield (very intelligent player with a fair bit of creativity) and their young full back,Kadeisha Buchanan,is going to be a star,but overall they were poor.

Iwabuchi was definitely onside when she scored against Australia.There was a point earlier in the move when she was in an offside position,but when the pass was made to her,even though she was beyond the keeper,there were two Matildas behind her playing her onside.

Getting to the last eight was a good performance by Australia,and I would think they will be an even better team when the next World Cup comes around.

Engalnd vs Japan, wow...I have reasons to root for both....my growing fondness for Japan from watching so much JLPGA and my fondness for England, partially from a lifetime of watching tennis...and movies (is it wrong for me to think Helen Mirren, the English/Russian actress decades older than I am, is quite fetching?). Hmmm, is it possible to be a true Francophile and Anglophile? It feels like those two things could be at odds at times!
Helen Mirren is an incredibly sexy woman.Age means nothing with Ms Mirren ; she is magnificent. Men of all ages adore her.

Even so,you still should be rooting for Japan in the semi-final...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X