Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #1

2013 Rogers Cup

...I will get back to posting about the LPGA more consistently...just haven't felt the same about the year since Ariya suffered her injury...the Inbee quest for the Slam was the only thing holding me to the tour this year...maybe Solheim Cup will reignite my engine...in the meantime, a nice tennis tournament in Canada this week.

more pics and video on my blog: Ana Ivanovic, Eugenie Bouchard Advance On Day 2 Of 2013 Rogers Cup; Martina Hingis Advances In Doubles | Fairways and Forehands

Ana Ivanovic

Ana Ivanovic opened her 2013 Rogers Cup with a routine 6-1 6-2 win over Hsieh Su-Wei. Ana showed some good form, albeit in a losing effort in the final two sets she played against Victoria Azarenka at the Southern California Open. As is always the case with Ivanovic, if she can control her service toss and make good contact, she is a tough match for anybody. Also advancing in her first round match was Canadian rising star Eugenie Bouchard. Genie was splashed all over the posters advertising this event. Clearly big things are expected from this young 19 year old Québécois. She took out Alisa Kleybanova 3 and 1. Her game will be tested in the next round as she takes on the defending Rogers Cup champion, Petra Kvitova. Petra is so streaky that anything can happen. If Kvitova is on her game, she’ll beat Genie before she knows what hit her. If she’s not, and she hasn’t been consistently for some time, Bouchard has a chance to beat Petra.

Daniela Hantuchova and Martina Hingis

Give Martina Hingis credit. She is adding a lot of buzz to women’s doubles. She and partner Daniela Hantuchova missed a golden opportunity at Carlsbad, where they had the eventual tournament winners Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears down a set and 0-3 before collapsing and losing a super tie break for the match (or a match tie break, if you will). Hingis and Hantuchova took out fellow doubles wild cards Angelique Kerber and Petra Kvitova 4 and 2 in the first round of Rogers Cup. That’s a very impressive win. I’m not going to pick Daniela and Martina to win an event until they show they can finish a tournament. That said, there is no doubles team in the draw that they can’t beat.

Eugenie Bouchard

Agnieszka Radwanska

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #2

more pics and video on my blog: Li Na Advances On Day 3 Of 2013 Rogers Cup; Petra Kvitova Ousts Eugenie Bouchard | Fairways and Forehands

Li Na

I sometime forget what a great year Li Na has had when she hasn’t been injured. She started the year off win a win in Shenzhen and was a finalist in Stuttgart, not to mention also a finalist in the year’s first Major, the Australian Open. Maybe that 7 week stretch when she was out with the left ankle injury she sustained in the Australian Open final against Victoria Azarenka took her out long enough to be out of sight, out of mind. Make no mistake though, since overcoming her slump after winning Roland Garros 2011, Li Na has recaptured her mojo, winning two tournaments and finishing runner up six times. One of those runner-up finishes was at last year’s Rogers Cup, where she lost a tough 3-setter to Petra Kvitova. Li Na took out Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 1 and 4 to open her run to try to get back to the final at the 2013 Rogers Cup. It was the Chinese star’s first match since reaching the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.

Petra Kvitova

Speaking of that final Li Na lost at last year’s Rogers Cup, the defending champion Petra Kvitova defeated Canadian favorite Eugenie Bouchard, 6-3 6-2. Petra wasn’t as sharp as she could be, but she was good enough to fight off the 19-year old up and coming Bouchard. Although it goes down on paper as a routine 3 and 2 victory for Kvitova, there were a lot of deuce games, with a few lengthy drawn out ones. So it was more of a match than the scoreline might suggest. Genie has a bright future. One thing rising players need early on is a favorable draw. Getting defending champion Kvitova in the second round was not favorable. Maybe one day Genie will have the game to take out somebody like Petra without Kvitova having an off day and helping her. But not yet.

Li Na

Martina Hingis (autograph session)

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #3

more pics on my blog: Petra Kvitova Advances On Day 4 Of 2013 Rogers Cup; Li Na Defeats Ana Ivanovic | Fairways and Forehands

Petra Kvitova

The quarterfinals are set at the 2013 Rogers Cup in Toronto. Defending champion Petra Kvitova took her place among the final elite 8 with a 3 and 3 straight set victory over Samantha Stosur. That was a potentially tricky match for Petra, with Samantha coming off a title last week at Carlsbad. It’s a good sign that Kvitova moved through. Up next is Sorana Cirstea. If Petra wins that match, the winner of Li Na vs Dominika Cibulkova would await in the final. All three players could potentially beat Kvitova. However, if Petra plays to the level she is capable of playing, the draw is open for her to reach the final.

Ana Ivanovic and Li Na

Li Na and Ana Ivanovic have some similarities. Both are Roland Garros champions. But also, both are incredibly streaky players. So it’s no surprise to me that their match on Thurday saw Ana come out strongly in the first set, Li Na bounce back to dominate the second set and both players push each other to a tight third set tiebreak eventually won by Li Na. This is one of those matches I dislike. It’s not because of the quality of play. That was good, especially Li Na fighting back from 2-5 down in the final set to win. It’s because I am a big fan of both Li Na and Ana Ivanovic, so I lose one of my rooting interests regardless of what happens. I’d face the same dilemma if Li Na faces Petra Kvitova in the semifinals. But that is still one round away. Sorana Cirstea and Dominika Cibulkova might have something to say about who makes it to the semis on this side of the draw.

Agnieszka Radwanska (autograph session)

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 08-08-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

more pics and video on my blog: Sorana Cirstea Upsets Petra Kvitova On Day 5 Of 2013 Rogers Cup, Will Face Li Na In Semifinals | Fairways and Forehands

Sorana Cirstea

Petra Kvitova’s quest to defend her title at the Rogers Cup looked favorable, with Victoria Azarenka withdrawing and Serena Williams on the other side of the draw. It seemed her path was opening up, as she jumped to a 6-4 5-4 lead over Sorana Cirstea in the quarterfinals. But Sorana would not quit, fighting back to take out the defending champion 4-6 7-5 6-2. Cirstea has upset Caroline Wozniacki, Jelena Jankovic and now Petra Kvitova in succession. Can she make it yet another seeded player beaten as she goes on to face Li Na in the semis?

Li Na

Li Na shook off a tight first set to down Dominika Cibulkova 7-6 (1) 6-2, maintaining an undefeated record against her Slovakian opponent. Although she hit a lot of winners, Li wasn’t always consistent in this match. She’ll definitely want to tighten things up and not give Cirstea any reason to believe she can pull the upset in the semis. If Li Na is on her game, she should find herself in back to back Roger Cup finals.

The Semifinalists:

Sorana Cirstea

Li Na

Agnieszka Radwanska

Serena Williams

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Contest Statistician

Question.

I caught about 30 secs of the Li-Cirstea match and in between games during the rest Cirstea was getting coaching.

Since when has this been allowed?
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Question.

I caught about 30 secs of the Li-Cirstea match and in between games during the rest Cirstea was getting coaching.

Since when has this been allowed?
I think the WTA went to coaching around 2009 or so. It's not allowed at Majors, though. It was about time, to be honest. Lots of top players were getting hand signals (or other methods of help) from coaches anyway. Plus, no matter what the coach says, it doesn't mean the player can execute it. Sure, a coach can tell a player to do this, this and this against Serena Williams or Victoria Azarenka or Maria Sharapova...whether they can pull it off, though...that's another matter.

Where I think it can help more is with players who have talent but really get emotionally down on themselves and kind of take themselves out of their own game...think Ana Ivanovic, Vera Zvonareva, Sabine Lisicki, Angelique Kerber, etc...a good coach can know what to say or do to help them calm down and center...all four of those players I named I've seen either near tears or in tears during matches...sometimes a visit from a coach can help.

Ana Ivanovic and former coach, Nigel Sears

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Contest Statistician

I guess I am out of step.

It was more emotional support then anything.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #8

more pics and video on my blog: Serena Williams Wins 2013 Rogers Cup | Fairways and Forehands

Serena Williams

The final of the 2013 Rogers Cup (Toronto) was a demonstration of the good and bad of a player going on an upset run. On the one hand Sorana Cirstea, a player with only 1 WTA title, who hadn’t reached a WTA final since 2008 and who’s never advanced past the 3rd round of a Major in singles, had the chance to achieve the biggest win of her career taking on Serena Williams. Sorana earned her place in the final with upsets of Caroline Wozniacki, Jelena Jankovic, Petra Kvitova and Li Na. That’s the good part. Here’s the bad part. Very often when a player has an upset or two and finds herself in a quarter, semi or final against a player like Serena Williams, they often fall apart both with their game and their emotion. Sorana was never in this match. She looked like a deer in headlights. Serena dusted her off 6-2 6-0. Admittedly, Serena has blown away bigger names than Cirstea before, so it’s no guarantee Li, Kvitova, Wozniacki or Jankovic would have fared any better. But win or lose, they would have fought a lot more. They would have shown more emotion (well, other than despair…Sorana showed that). In the semifinals, Agnieszka Radwanska lost to Serena but she went out fighting. She wasn’t overwhelmed by the moment. Sorana seemed completely overwhelmed mentally and emotionally. No amount of visits from coach Darren Cahill was going to change the momentum. Ok, maybe Sorana won her 2 games of the match after Cahill’s first visit. Still, it wasn’t an interesting match to watch. And I agree with Renee Stubbs, Serena didn’t even play her best in this tournament. A healthy Victoria Azarenka could beat this version of Serena (and has done so earlier this year). Don’t misunderstand me, I salute both Serena for her win and Sorana for her amazing week. Cirstea should be very proud of what she accomplished this week. But in the end, if it’s going to be a lopsided Serena win, I’d rather see Li Na yelling at her husband or Jelena Jankovic snipping at Serena on her pace of play…anything that shows her opponent has some fire inside of her. Now, I am not saying Sorana doesn’t have that kind of fire. It’s just that she doesn’t have the experience yet to handle the pressure of facing Serena in a final. I also realize that a tennis tournament has to be taken as a whole. Sometimes the best matches are not the final. Clearly, the highlight of this tournament was the Serena-Aga semifinal. In the end, I congratulate Serena on a great win and Sorana for a great week.

Serena Williams

Katarina Srebotnik and Jelena Jankovic (doubles champions)

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 08-12-2013 at 05:01 AM.