Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #1

2013 Australian Open (tennis)

...just like last year, I separate the Majors from the regular WTA thread...

more pics on my blog: Victoria Azarenka At 2013 Australian Open Draw Ceremony Fairways and Forehands

Victoria Azarenka

With a few preliminary tournaments played or winding up this Saturday, it’s time to turn towards the first Major of 2013, the Australian Open. Last year, Victoria Azarenka earned her biggest career title, emerging as the women’s singles champion and world #1. If she’s healthy, I don’t see why she wouldn’t make another deep run at least into the semis. And although Serena Williams is the big odds-on favorite, don’t forget that Serena was here last year too and it was still Vika who was standing at the end. In the following video, Vika makes her debut at the 29 minute 10 second mark, so you can forward to that point if you just want to see her. A few minutes after the boat ride in, there are nice interviews with her and Novak Djokovic, the reigning men’s singles champion. That part of the video starts at the 39 and a half minute mark, so you can also forward to that point.

Vika with Nole

Draws: Draws - Australian Open Tennis Championships 2013 - Official Site by IBM

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #2

more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova’s Candy Line, Sugarpova, Turning Into A Sweet Investment; Ready For Australian Open 2013 Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova at launch of Sugarpova at Crowne Entertainment Complex in Melbourne, Australia

Maria Sharapova was already the world’s highest paid female athlete, with Forbes estimating that she made $27.1 million during the last year. Get ready to up those numbers. After investing $500,000 in a line of candies, which she decided to call Sugarpova, it looks like the career grand slam champion is a winner again. Buoyed by her massive social media following (9 million Facebook followers…including me) and her commitment to marketing as she tours on the circuit, the sweets have sold 250,000 bags the first 3 months and are estimated to remain strong sellers as they launch in new markets, reaching 1 million bags sold within a year. Masha receives $1.10 per bag sold. The premium candy sells for $5.99 per bag. Congrats to Masha on the success!

As for her collarbone, which caused her to pull out of both an exhibition in South Korea and the 2013 Brisbane International, Masha says she is fine and is having no problems. I hope not. She’s won in Melbourne before and reached the final last year. Sharapova is certainly capable of winning another Australian Open title.

Masha also sat down with HEAD tennis and answered questions from her Facebook fans prior to this year’s Australian Open. I liked the Q&A especially because I forgot that she does have 2 doubles wins with Thai player, Tamarine Tanasugarn. Masha also has 1 doubles title apiece with Vera Zvonareva and Maria Kirilenko. But those 4 titles came in 2003 and 2004.

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

from my blog: Top Players Come Out For 2013 Australian Open Kids Day Fairways and Forehands

Victoria Azarenka, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic

I always love the Kids Day festivities that big tournaments in tennis put on. At this year’s Australian Open, many of the top stars participated, including Victoria Azarenka, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic. Even former stars Martina Hingis and Alicia Molik came out for the fun. The first video focuses on the kids. The second on the fun exhibition from the players.

Martina Hingis and Alicia Molik came out for the fun

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

more pics on my blog: Stars Shine At Australian Open 2013 IMG Players Party Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Before the action in the main draw gets started, some of the top stars came out for the Australian Open 2013 IMG Players Party at the Crown Towers in Melbourne. Of course, everybody looked fantastic, but you probably already know that. So no more drivel from me. Let’s see the photos!!

Li Na

Heather Watson

Daniela Hantuchova

Sabine Lisicki

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-14-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #5

more pics and video on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams Roll In First Round Matches At 2013 Australian Open Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Well, that was quick. I can’t imagine what it is like to be a player like Olga Puchkova. You’re excited to play in the first Major of 2013, the Australian Open, and do so on Rod Laver Arena. Unfortunately, you get former Australian Open champion, career Grand Slam winner and no doubt about it future Hall of Famer Maria Sharapova. Maybe you think, hey she’s coming in off a collarbone injury. She could be vulnerable. Maybe she will have one of those days where she’s plagued by service yips. All futile hopes. Masha lowered the hammer on Puchkova, dismissing her with a 6-0 6-0 double bagel before Olga knew what hit her.

Venus Williams

Venus Williams was similarly impressive, crushing Galina Voskoboeva, 6-1 6-0. The early round match most want to see is a potential 3rd round match-up between Masha and Venus. That’s not usually a head to head you’d see this early in a Major, but Venus’ health issues have kept her away from the game long enough for her ranking to slip. But if she’s on her game, that’s a potential barn burner if both Williams and Sharapova get by their second round matches.

Masha

Li Na

Ana Ivanovic

Samantha Stosur

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Contest Statistician

Big scare for Serena.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #7

from my blog: Petra Kvitova Survives First Round Of 2013 Australian Open; Injury Scare For Serena Williams Fairways and Forehands

Petra Kvitova

I am always nervous watching Petra Kvitova play. I am a fan and I know she’s capable of brilliant tennis or suffering a head scratching loss. In the opening round of the 2013 Australian Open, my nerves were even more frayed because I knew 2010 Roland Garros winner Francesca Schiavone would not submit easily. And she didn’t, pushing Petra to 3 sets. Eventually, Kvitova triumphed, 6-4 2-6 6-2. Phew! I can relax for a day until her next match.

Serena Williams

The big news of the day on the women’s side was Serena Williams, who won love and love, rolling her ankle. The reverberations from an injury to Serena would be felt throughout the entire women’s draw. Honestly, I would want Serena healthy even if I were rooting for somebody else. In fact, I am rooting for Masha, Li Na and Ana Ivanovic. But I don’t want Serena, Vika, Aga or any other top challenger injured. I would want to be the best by beating the best. But we will see in her next match how much the ankle might affect her.

Victoria Azarenka

Yanina Wickmayer

Sloane Stephens

Laura Robson

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #8

BKB
I didn't know there is a penalty for an extended grunt....the LPGA should employ this too so they can silence Kerr from barking.

Ana played terrible against an inferior Chan. Ana had no confidence, no power and looked out of shape. She's too skinny...needs to eat some sausages.

Masha looked good.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
BKB
I didn't know there is a penalty for an extended grunt....the LPGA should employ this too so they can silence Kerr from barking.

Ana played terrible against an inferior Chan. Ana had no confidence, no power and looked out of shape. She's too skinny...needs to eat some sausages.

Masha looked good.

As Mrs Simpson said :

''No woman can be too rich or too thin''...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #10

SJX
For me, the models in fashion magazines are unattractive....skin and bones.

I read that skinny Anne Hathaway lost an add'l 20 lbs for Les Mis....that's crazy.

Ivanovic looked skinny on TV and TV puts on 10-15 lbs.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote