Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #11

BKB
What channel does Tracy Austin work for?
I've always liked Tracy and wish she did more commentating.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
BKB
What channel does Tracy Austin work for?
I've always liked Tracy and wish she did more commentating.
I don't know which US broadcaster she works for,but she always works for the BBC during Wimbledon.

You would like the Spanish girl,Garbiñe Muguruza,who is currently playing Serena Williams.She's 5-2 down in the first set,but she's not being embarrassed by her much more illustrious opponent...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I don't know which US broadcaster she works for,but she always works for the BBC during Wimbledon.

You would like the Spanish girl,Garbiñe Muguruza,who is currently playing Serena Williams.She's 5-2 down in the first set,but she's not being embarrassed by her much more illustrious opponent...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
SJX
I think Tracy works for NBC and I think the carry Wimbledon.

I don't really follow tennis much.....so I had to do a Google on the above Spanish pro...no she doesn't compare to the 3 Spanish Killer B''s golf gals.

IF and it's a HUGE IF to accomplish.... IF Aza, Belen & Beatriz could contend for wins weekly....I firmly believe US fans would root for them.

It would be a huge success if 1 became a weekly contender, never mind all 3.
Until this can be met (low probability)...they'll only be attractive gals on tour vs. tour superstars.....PERFORMANCE COUNTS!!!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #14

Yes, she works for the BBC during Wimbledon, and she is employed by Tennis Channel: Tracy Austin ::Tennis Channel

...p.s.-Tracy rocks!

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #15

more pics and video on my blog: Samantha Stosur Stumbles Out Of 2013 Australian Open; Ana Ivanovic Barely Stays In Fairways and Forehands

Samantha Stosur

Pity having the weight of an entire country’s expectations on your shoulders. I really pull a lot for Samantha Stosur. She is a terrific player when she’s on, and seems like a nice person. But under the glare of playing in her homeland of Australia, she has woefully under-performed. She has played three tournaments in 2013, losing in the first round at Brisbane and Sydney, and now being ousted in the 2nd round of the Australian Open. Yes, Zheng Jie has always been a tough match-up for Samantha, beating her at both Sydney and Melbourne, but there is a larger problem here. The loss at Sydney was her 5th straight loss playing in Australia, now up to 6 losses in her last 7 matches down under. This 2nd round Aussie Open exit follows a 1st round dismissal last year. She has never advanced past the 4th round in Melbourne. I watched this match live and even when Stosur served for the match at 5-2 in the third, and then again at 5-4, I knew Zheng Jie wasn’t out of it if she could just stay in it and wait for Stosur’s nerves to doom her. Bottom line, Samantha Stosur is a helluva player, far better than these results suggest. It’s difficult to believe the player who thoroughly outplayed Serena Williams to win the 2011 US Open can’t at least get to the quarters in Melbourne. But maybe she played relaxed in that US Open final, since everybody thought Serena was going to win anyway. So there wasn’t the same degree of pressure and expectation. I don’t know, really. I just hope before her career is over, she experiences the thrill of making a deep run at the Australian Open.

Ana Ivanovic

Ana Ivanovic narrowly avoided following Samantha Stosur out the door, finally outlasting Yung-Jan Chan, 7-5 1-6 6-4. It shouldn’t have been that tough a match, but it’s sports. Anything can happen. Just win. I am also a big fan of Jelena Jankovic, Ana’s countrywoman, whom she will play in the next round. However, for a long time they were not fans of each other. They both say maturity and playing together during Fed Cup has ended those old hard feelings. Oh, and before I forget…smashing play from Maria Sharapova. Two straight double bagel wins. I almost felt sorry for Misaki Doi watching that match.

Masha

Zheng Jie

Li Na

Venus Williams

Heather Watson

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #16

more pics and video on my site: Laura Robson Upsets Petra Kvitova At 2013 Australian Open; Victoria Azarenka Advances Fairways and Forehands

Laura Robson

The last time I saw Laura Robson at a tennis Major, she was ending the singles career of Kim Clijsters, my favorite player since Monica Seles, at the 2012 US Open. It was a difficult moment to watch, but at the same time I had to applaud the young, talented up and coming Robson. Well, she didn’t end the singles career of Petra Kvitova. However, she did end Petra’s 2013 Australian Open, 2-6 6-3 11-9. As I said before, Laura is talented. Still, I wonder how much of this upset was Laura’s talent and how much was Petra’s inconsistency. The quality of play the first two sets was inconsistent. The final set was terrific. Laura is only 18. She is definitely one to watch. No British player has won the Wimbledon singles title since Virginia Wade won in 1977. Robson, who won the junior Wimbledon Girls title when she was 14, just might have the best shot at following in her footsteps.

Victoria Azarenka

With all the bagels Maria Sharapova has been dropping on opponents, the resurgence of Venus Williams and Serena’s injury scare, Victoria Azarenka has quitely been her normal dominant self through two rounds. Vika dismissed Eleni Danilidou 1 and love to advance to the 3rd round. The defending champion looks intent on a repeat. But there is a long way to go before that can come to fruition.

Li Na

Maria Sharapova

Laura Robson

Maria Kirilenko

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #17

more pics and video on my blog: Maria Sharapova Ousts Venus Williams At 2013 Australian Open; Ana Ivanovic Advances Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

The hotly anticipated 2013 Australian Open 3rd round showdown between Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams turned quickly into a one-sided affair as Masha raced out to a 4-0 first set lead, cruising to a 6-1 6-3 victory. Is Venus a shadow of her old self? Yes. But don’t forget how good she looked the first two rounds, how good she looked at Hopman Cup and that she won her last event in 2012. Masha has looked even better, dropping double bagels on her first two opponents and then taking out Venus with ease. The real question that needs to be answered this year for Masha is can she get past the other Williams sister? We might find out next week.

Ana Ivanovic

Masha vs Venus was not the only battle between former world #1s, as Ana Ivanovic took on fellow Serbian star, and fellow former world #1, Jelena Jankovic. Ana hasn’t looked her best yet, but she had enough to get by JJ, 7-5 6-3. There was some drama as to what their post-match handshake would be like. For the record, they hugged and kissed. Both say past hard feelings are between them are just that…in the past. Right now, it’s just about the tennis. And I hate to say this, because I like Jelena as much as Ana. But these two are heading in opposite directions. Ana is on the verge of being a top 10 player again. JJ is really sliding back to the pack more and more. She always depended on her speed and court coverage, and she’s a step or two slower than she once was. She’s not like Ana, who can blast away with her power. I hope JJ, at 27 years old, can catch a second wind in her career, but at this point I just don’t know if she can.

Masha

Ana

Li Na

Angelique Kerber

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #18

BKB
I watched Masha dissect Venus, especially the 1st 80% of the match last night.
The female announcers were fighting about how Masha was fist pumping after a 5-1 lead in the 2nd set.

I was very surprised to see both not acknowledge the crowd as the came out of the tunnel...is this common?...seems rude to me.

Seems like the yellow/grey outfits are popular this year.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
BKB
I watched Masha dissect Venus, especially the 1st 80% of the match last night.
The female announcers were fighting about how Masha was fist pumping after a 5-1 lead in the 2nd set.

I was very surprised to see both not acknowledge the crowd as the came out of the tunnel...is this common?...seems rude to me.

Seems like the yellow/grey outfits are popular this year.
I think the media likes to have it both ways. They pump up this 3rd round match-up as though it were a semi or final...between 2 of the biggest names in women's tennis...everybody makes this seem like a marquee match-up, which it was regardless of how the match turned out...some even saying if the "real" Venus shows up she has a chance to win...but then when Masha shows emotion like it was a final, the media wants to say, oh why is she making such a fuss over beating a fading star...maybe because Masha also knew this was a match of importance for her...maybe she felt the pressure of facing so dangerous an opponent so early in the tournament and let out some tension...generally, Masha doesn't show much emotion during matches...if you didn't know the score, at times you wouldn't be able to tell if she was winning or losing just by looking at her...

...as for the yellow dresses...Pam Shriver joked that she was so tired of seeing yellow that she was rooting for anybody wearing yellow to lose!

more pics and video on my blog: Caroline Wozniacki Looking Good Through 3rd Round Of 2013 Australian Open; Sloane Stephens Wins Battle of Rising Stars With Laura Robson Fairways and Forehands

Caroline Wozniacki

I admit that a week ago I was really worried about Caroline Wozniacki. That her results the last year and a half were not up to the standard she once set was obvious. But then she opened 2013 by being dismissed in the first round of Brisbane and in her second match at Sydney. I thought, oh no she’s heading for disaster in Melbourne. One week later and Caro is looking pretty good, certainly much stronger than in Brisbane and Sydney. That’s especially true when you consider she had potentially the toughest first round opponent of any seeded player in Sabine Lisicki. Caroline defeated Lesia Tsurenko 4 and 3 to advanced to the 4th round against Svetlana Kuznetsova. Sveta is the player who beat Caro in Sydney, and is a multiple Major winner, but Caro has to still be the favorite at this point in their careers. If Wozniacki gets by Kuznetsova, she potentially could face Victoria Azarenka. Vika didn’t look so invincible against American Jamie Hampton. If Caro and Vika get by their next opponents, it would set up a very interesting match-up of the current #1 ranked player and a former #1 ranked player. This is, if Sveta doesn’t spoil the party!

Sloane Stephens and Laura Robson

When I saw the Sloane Stephens vs Laura Robson contest in the 3rd round, I was disappointed. Wait, you say, haven’t I written about how much I like watching these two up and coming players? Absolutely, which is exactly why I didn’t want to see them playing each other so early in the tournament. I wanted to possibly see them both make it to the second week. As it turned out, Sloane was able to gut out a 7-5 6-3 tough fought win. No excuses allowed in a Major, but Robson did have neck/shoulder issues. Nonetheless, Sloane has looked brilliant so far in 2013 as she matures as a player. This time, I had to settle for a 3rd round match between these two. In the future, maybe not so distant future, I expect to see them play each other in semis and finals.

Elena Vesnina

Novak Djokovic

Maria Kirilenko

Caroline Wozniacki

Sloane Stephens

Laura Robson

Yanina Wickmayer

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #20

more videos and pics on my blog: Novak Djokovic Taken To The Edge In 4th Round Of 2013 Australian Open; Maria Sharapova Continues To Dominate Fairways and Forehands

Novak Djokovic

2-time defending champion, and 3 time champion overall, Novak Djokovic played one of the most epic Major finals in history at the 2012 Australian Open, outlasting Rafael Nadal in a 5-set, 5 hour and 53 minute marathon. Nobody thought his 4th round opponent at the 2013 Australian Open, Stanislas Wawrinka, would evoke memories of that match. But that’s exactly what happened. Early on, it looked like Stan would blow Nole off the court and out of the Aussie Open as at one point he broke Djokovic’s serve 5 times in a row to put Nole in a 1-6 2-5 hole. Nole would not quit. A change of shoes later and a change of fortune, Djokovic fought back to win 5 games in a row to take the 2nd set 7-5.

Novak Djokovic

It looked like order was restored when the Djoker won the 3rd set 6-4. Wawrinka has been known in the past for wilting when the heat gets turned up. Not this time. Stan battled to a 4th set tiebreak win, setting up an scintillating final set. There is not final set tiebreak at the Australian Open, so they would play into the night and early morning if they had to. And they did. With Stan’s offense and Nole’s defense clashing, it seemed neither would submit. Eventually, after Stan escaped a few match points, Nole would finally end the affair at 12-10 in the 5th with probably the point of the match, maybe the point of the tournament.

Stanislas Wawrinka and Novak Djokovic

Sure, it’s a cliché, but neither man was a loser this night. However, only one can move on and it’s the world #1, Novak Djokovic. The question is, how much will Nole have in the tank for his next match against the tough Tomas Berdych? And did this match show that Djokovic is ripe for an upset. Remember that he was beaten by Bernard Tomic at Hopman Cup. Tomic was handled easily by Roger Federer at the Aussie Open. Novak is still the favorite to win the tournament, but I would guess by not as wide a margin as at the beginning of the tournament.

Maria Sharapova

Showing no sign of weakness so far is Maria Sharapova, who has been ruthless in her destruction of her opponents. She had no letdown after her lopsided victory over Venus Williams, crushing an overmatched Kirsten Flipkens 1 and love. Through 4 matches, Masha has only lost a total of 5 games and has dropped 5 bagel sets along the way. Can anybody slow her down? Ekaterina Makarova, who upset Angelique Kerber (and Serena last year) gets to try next.

MARIA SHARAPOVA def Kirsten Flipkens, 6-1 6-0

LI NA def. Julia Goerges, 7-6 (6) 6-1

AGNIESZKA RADWANSKA def. Ana Ivanovic, 6-2 6-4

EKATERINA MAKAROVA def. Angelique Kerber, 7-5 6-4

ANA IVANOVIC

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.