Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

View Poll Results: Who Would You Most Like To See Win The Women's Tennis Singles Olympic Gold Medal
Victoria Azarenka 0 0%
Serena Williams 1 12.50%
Venus Williams 1 12.50%
Maria Sharapova 1 12.50%
Kim Clijsters 2 25.00%
Caroline Wozniacki 0 0%
Li Na 0 0%
Samantha Stosur 0 0%
Petra Kvitova 0 0%
Agnieszka Radwanska 0 0%
Other (please name) 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #21

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
On the men's side. it would be nice if Andy Murray makes it to the finals and even better if he wins. Love to see the English go crazy before a packed house.
I also wonder how Caroline Wozniacki would feel were she to win the Olympics. Like Murray, she has been criticized for not being able to win a Major, long before her relationship with Rory. Actually she has been more criticized, since she was also #1 for a long time. If not Kim or Masha, I'd like to see Caroline win.

more pics and video on my blog: Maria Sharapova Dominant In First Match At 2012 Olympics; Agnieszka Radwanska Upset By Julia Goerges | Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova’s 2012 Wimbledon didn’t end the way she envisioned, crashing out in the 4th round courtesy of the big serving Sabine Lisicki. However, Masha didn’t achieve the career Grand Slam by remembering her worst days on court. She always thinks she can win no matter what. And she came out against the potentially tricky Shahar Peer and completely dismissed her, 6-2 6-0. Honestly, it could have been worse, as Masha made a few too many unforced errors even in victory. Still, she just has too many weapons for Peer to deal with. On a day when play was shortened due to inclement weather, Sharapova didn’t need much time to make it through to the 2nd round. I like Shahar a lot and wish she hadn’t drawn Masha in the first round. Unfortunately, she did. Still, she should be happy to represent her country.

Maria talked about how honored she was to be the flag bearer for Russia in the opening ceremony.

“The ceremony is something I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. Growing up, I think I was 10 or so, I was watching the ceremony, and I had this huge dream – I thought I must be really crazy – but I saw the Russian nation walking out, they all had small hats, berets then. I don’t remember who was carrying the flag then but I thought it was so cool, and that maybe one day I could do that. As I was walking there, it hit me, that memory of me watching on my small little TV in my room, just being so proud and hoping one day I could be there. I was waiting for that moment since I was a little girl.” – Maria Sharapova

Agnieszka Radwanska

There were 3 women playing on day 2 who were flag bearers for their country in the Opening Ceremony. Only Masha advanced. That Stephanie Vogt of Liechtenstein didn’t advance is not a huge surprise. That 2012 Wimbledon runner-up and world #2 Agnieszka Radwanska didn’t survive her first match is a huge surprise. Or is it? Those who follow tennis know that Julia Goerges established a reputation as a giant killer last year by twice beating Caroline Wozniacki when Caro was still ranked #1 and playing well. Perhaps, as they say in boxing, styles make fights. Aga and Caro both have a Martina Hingis-esque style of play. Maybe Julia just matches up well against that style. She was just crushing the ball against Aga, with 56 winners, including 20 aces. 20 ACES!! That’s more than Serena hit against Aga in the Wimbledon final. Julia is super-agressive and just pushes players like Aga and Caro back. So while Radwanska is overall the better player on tour, maybe stylistically, Goerges matches up well against her and was the worst player for her to draw in the first round.

Singles – First Round
Julia Goerges (GER) d. (2) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 75 67(5) 64
(3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Shahar Peer (ISR) 62 60
Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) d. Simona Halep (ROU) 64 62
Timea Babos (HUN) d. Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) 64 62
Anna Tatishvili (GEO) d. Stephanie Vogt (LIE) 62 60

Suspended due to rain
Ons Jabeur (TUN) leads (15) Sabine Lisicki (GER) 43
Varvara Lepchenko (USA) is tied with Veronica Cepede Royg (PAR) 75 67(6)

Masha

Julia Goerges

The grass has been very slippery the first two days. Everybody is tumbling, including Sabine Lisicki

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 AM   #22

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
That Stephanie Vogt of Liechtenstein didn’t advance is not a huge surprise.

Useless bit of trivia: the tiny central European principality of Liechtenstein, its population of 36,000 people wedged into a mountainous 160 square kilometers between Austria and Switzerland along the Rhine, is the smallest country in history to have won Olympic medals and is the only country to have won medals at the Olympic Winter Games (nine in total, all in alpine skiing) but never the Summer Olympics.

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImLU31G2o8
IceCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #23

Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
Useless bit of trivia: the tiny central European principality of Liechtenstein, its population of 36,000 people wedged into a mountainous 160 square kilometers between Austria and Switzerland along the Rhine, is the smallest country in history to have won Olympic medals and is the only country to have won medals at the Olympic Winter Games (nine in total, all in alpine skiing) but never the Summer Olympics.

Kevin
This makes me root for them!

Vogt is out already. I see they have 2 more athletes playing. Hope one of them medals. Actually, I should check to see if Vogt is playing doubles. Maybe she's still alive there.

Also, in tennis, there are 3 athletes with a chance at the Career Golden Slam in singles. That is all four traditional Majors (Australia, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open), plus a gold medal at the Olympics. There are 3 players who have done that in singles, Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf and Rafael Nadal. Steffi has both the Career Golden Slam and the calendar year Golden Slam, as she won the Grand Slam in 1988 and the Olympic Gold Medal.

This year, Roger Federer, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova have a shot at the Career Golden Slam in singles. Serena already has the Career Golden Slam in doubles. Go Masha!

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #24

Bangkokbobby and DB, whatever your debates are, I thnk highly of both of you and both of you are my favorite posters.

Bangkokbobby, congratulations to you that Caro won a tough 3-set match from Wickmayer.
18majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #25

Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Bangkokbobby and DB, whatever your debates are, I thnk highly of both of you and both of you are my favorite posters.

Bangkokbobby, congratulations to you that Caro won a tough 3-set match from Wickmayer.
Thanks, 18majors! I'm not really sure why he is so insistent on this. I actually though DB and I were buddies. So we have different (although not terribly different) views on the age issue. So what? Is it really that big a deal? I only ask that we keep that discussion to the appropriate thread.

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #26

more pics on my blog: Ana Ivanovic, Kim Clijsters Advance On Day 3 Of Olympic Tennis; Williams Sisters Move Through, Too | Fairways and Forehands

Ana Ivanovic

Pressed a little for time so I’ll keep this brief. With their 2nd round wins at the 2012 Olympics, I have a difficult task of watching Ana Ivanovic and Kim Clijsters get matched up in round 3. Of course, for me I am going with Kim. I always go with Kim. But still, I feel badly rooting against another top favorite like Ana. And truthfully, while I would be terribly disappointed should Kim lose, I would feel happy if Ana won.

Serena Williams

Serena and Venus Williams moved on. With Serena…well, the best player in the tournament moving on is no surprise. With Venus, a lot of commentators seem to think she’s “back” after beating Sara Errani. I think we need to see more. Yes, Errani was in this year’s Roland Garros final. But that was on her best surface, clay. Last time we saw Errani on grass she was on the wrong side of a Golden Set, getting torched in the first set of her loss to Yaroslava Shvedova, not even winning a point. So I would like to see Venus beat somebody else before saying she’s back.

Singles – Second Round
(4) Serena Williams (USA) d. Urszula Radwanska (POL) 62 63
(6) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. Peng Shuai (CHN) 75 26 61
(8) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) 64 36 63
(11) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Elena Baltacha (GBR) 64 76(5)
(13) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 63 63
Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 75 61
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. Alizé Cornet (FRA) 63 60
Kim Clijsters (BEL) d. Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) 63 63

Singles – First Round
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) 61 36 61
(7) Angelique Kerber (GER) d. Petra Cetkovska (CZE) 61 30 ret. (right ankle injury)
Venus Williams (USA) d. (9) Sara Errani (ITA) 63 61
(14) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Mariana Duque-Mariño (COL) 60 11 ret. (right knee injury)
(15) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. Ons Jabeur (TUN) 46 60 75
(16) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. Zheng Jie (CHN) 64 76(7)
Varvara Lepchenko (USA) d. Verónica Cepede Royg (PAR) 75 67(6) 62
Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) d. Marina Erakovic (NZL) 62 61
Heather Watson (GBR) d. Sílvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) 62 62
María José Martínez Sánchez (ESP) d. Polona Hercog (SLO) 62 64
Laura Robson (GBR) d. Lucie Safarova (CZE) 76(4) 64

Ana Ivanovic

Caroline Wozniacki

Kim Clijsters

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #27

DB, you may not agree, but the "Anything Folder" and a single thread within that folder are two different things. The folder itself is open for any topic. This particular thread was meant to discuss women's tennis in the Olympics. We have a discussion of age requirements in another thread.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #28

All pics are clickable to enlarge

more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Angelique Kerber Lead Russian And German Winners On Day 4 Of 2012 Olympic Tennis | Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

It has been said that the Russian sports federation became serious about developing tennis players when it regained medal status in 1988. They take the Olympics, and winning medals, very seriously. That dedication to tennis culminated in Russians sweeping gold, silver and bronze in the 2008 Beijing Summer Games. The gold medalist from those games, Elena Dementieva, claimed the Olympic medal meant more to her than winning a traditional tennis Major. Even Roger Federer, the greatest of them all, wept like a baby after winning a gold in doubles…R-FED IN DOUBLES…in 2008. A great article about how tennis players feel about the Olympics is here: How Important Is An Olympic Gold Medal.

Angelique Kerber

Another country very serious about Olympic medals is Germany. On Day 4 of the 2012 London Olympics, Russians Maria Sharapova, Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova joined Germans Angelique Kerber, Sabine Lisicki and Julia Goerges in a perfect day of winning tennis. Well, maybe not so perfect. Yes, they all delivered wins for their country but not every match was perfect. Particularly, British hopeful Laura Robson gave Maria Sharapova a little more than she expected, getting pushed in a first set that was 1 minute shy of an hour.

“I think she has a lot of potential, no doubt. I think consistency’s the biggest key, obviously. When you come out on a big stage, the whole crowd behind you, playing someone against whom you have nothing to lose, you play your best tennis. But it’s also a matter of going out and playing on Court 18 and performing at the same level week in, week out. She certainly improved from the last time I played her. You can see the little improvements she’s made. I’m sure she has a bright future ahead of her.” – Maria Sharapova

Sabine Lisicki and Nadia Petrova also were taken to 3 sets in their matches. In Sabine’s case, it’s understandable as she was facing the fast rising Yaroslava Shvedova. That was a potential upset special, so it’s good that Sabine made it through. Of course, it doesn’t get any easier as next up for Lisicki is Sharapova. Sabine knocked Masha out of Wimbledon and you can bet Sharapova will be psyched for that match.

Singles – Second Round
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. María José Martínez Sánchez (ESP) 61 62
(3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Laura Robson (GBR) 76(5) 63
(7) Angelique Kerber (GER) d. Timea Babos (HUN) 61 61
(14) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Heather Watson (GBR) 63 62
(15) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) 46 63 75
(16) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. Anna Tatishvili (GEO) 63 67(5) 62
Julia Goerges (GER) d. Varvara Lepchenko (USA) 63 75
Venus Williams (USA) d. Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 61 63

Maria Kirilenko

Julia Goerges

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #29

more pics on my blog: Kim Clijsters Defeats Ana Ivanovic On Day 5 Of Olympic Tennis, Faces Maria Sharapova In Quarterfinals | Fairways and Forehands

all pics are clickable for larger version

Kim Clijsters

The Kim Clijsters-Ana Ivanovic 3rd round match at the 2012 London Olympics illustrated one of the things that separates Kim from Ana, her mental focus to lift her game in the big moments. It’s why Kim has never lost to Ana. Ana filled up the stat sheet against Kim. She had 6 aces and no double faults to 3 aces and 4 double faults for Kim. Ana had more winners (23 to 13) and fewer errors (9 to 10). Yet somehow, the match was never in doubt for Kim. Kim raised her game in the big moments. For example, when she broke Ana early in the 2nd set, she didn’t sit at the baseline waiting for Ana to make a mistake. Instead Kim charged the net, hitting 3 volleys, the second a backhand volley that spun her around, that reminded us that she was once the #1 doubles player in the world. The point is, when there were big points, Kim sensed and seized the moment, taking it to Ana and turning up the pressure.

Maria Sharapova

Up next for Kim is a player who loves pressure as well, Maria Sharapova. Masha has had a few shaky rounds, but to be fair in her 3rd round match she had the dangerous Sabine Lisicki to deal with, who knocked Masha out of Wimbledon a few weeks ago. What worries me about Masha these days is the same thing that always worries me. She’s hitting tons of winners…and tons of errors. It’s high risk, high reward. She survived against Sabine, but if she wants to come away from the London Games with a singles gold medal, she will have to tightened things up a bit.

Singles - Third Round
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (16) Nadia Petrova (RUS) 76(6) 64
(3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (15) Sabine Lisicki (GER) 67(8) 64 63
(4) Serena Williams (USA) d. (13) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 61 60
(6) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 63 60
(7) Angelique Kerber (GER) d. Venus Williams (USA) 76(5) 76(5)
(8) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 64 62
Kim Clijsters (BEL) d. (11) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 63 64
(14) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Julia Goerges (GER) 76(5) 63

Ana Ivanovic

Kim Clijsters

Maria Sharapova

Serena Williams

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #30

more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka: Three 2012 Major Winners Highlight Olympic Tennis Semifinals | Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

I hate to be brief when one of my favorites and an all-time great Kim Clijsters exits the Olympic stage in her next to last tournament of her career. But I am pressed for time, so I will say the rustiness of not being in match shape showed. When you play as infrequently as she has, no matter who you are, you will have more matches where you have single digit winners and over 20 errors. But nonetheless, Maria Sharapova deserves all the credit for the win. And speaking of Masha, the 2012 Roland Garros winner joins the 2012 Australian Open winner Victoria Azarenka and 2012 Wimbledon winner Serena Williams in the 2012 Olympic semifinals. Rounding out semis is Maria Kirilenko. With Sharapova taking on Kirilenko in one semi, Russia is guaranteed a spot in the final and thus no worse than a silver medal in these games. But knowing the fire these ladies play with, nothing shines like gold.

Singles - Quarterfinals
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (7) Angelique Kerber (GER) 64 75
(3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Kim Clijsters (BEL) 62 75
(4) Serena Williams (USA) d. (8) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 60 63
(14) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. (6) Petra Kvitova (CZE) 76(3) 63

Masha

Serena

Vika

---Bruce Lee