Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #31

Man...she looks good with her long blonde hair down! She is turning me into a big horny toad!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!

Last edited by dangerbob; 01-30-2012 at 10:34 AM.
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #32

Notice: I edited my entry a little bit!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
BKB...thx

Have you been to many events or majors?

My sister is a big tennis player and fan. She took me to an event to see the gals in Toronto. I couldn't believe how expensive the tix were....$200/seat and the seats weren't that great.

It's so great you can get up close to any top LPGA pro vs. tennis or other sports.
$200 Wow. Thats more then a grounds pass to the US Open. Been to the Open plenty of times. Usually get a grounds pass, best during the first week when there is action everywhere. You can get into everything except Ash Stadium. But as I said during the first week there is action all over and you can get into Louis Amstrong and the Grandstand.

Quick story a few years ago. I was sitting on one of the outer courts watching 2 women play just minding my own business. Then suddenly Martina Navratilova sits in front of me next to some guy. I say hello, she says hello, she starts eating sushi for lunch. I thought was strange because she was scheduled to play a doubles match later in the afternoon. This was her last year playing doubles. Turns out this was the match of her playing partner and the guy was there coach.

Any way thats one of my US Open stories. If you are a big Tennis fan you need to go at least once.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #34

I am not certain what event to which he's referring but my guess is Rogers Cup, which alternates between Toronto and Montreal with the men and women swapping each year. So if the men are playing one year in Toronto, the women play the same week in Montreal and then they switch the following year.

I agree with xman that if you enjoy tennis and can make it to the US Open, you should go once. As he said, grounds passes are the best bet the first week to keep the costs down and see a lot of action. Even Arthur Ashe tickets are not bad if you want to see the feature match (although they do play it on a large screen monitor outside AA Stadium, too). Even though I prefer watching sports on television, I've been to many, many pro matches and the US Open obviously since for a time I received free tickets as a USTA staff member. You really get to see the athleticism of top tier players. You see why Jessica Korda and Shanshan Feng said no to all that running. And you'll see why Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal could barely stand during the trophy ceremony after their 5 hour, 53 minute war.

What LPGA players do I think would be good on the tennis court? Its hard to say. Just looking at a top tennis player like Kim Clijsters, she doesn't look like a super athlete until you see her move and watch her power. She has really strong legs, which transfers a lot of power. So I would look for LPGA players who are in decent shape but also have power.

Suzann Pettersen is an obvious choice. In shape, especially through her core. Very powerful. I think Sophie Gustafson and Melissa Reid also would make great players. Se Ri Pak has strong legs, but I don't know what kind of shape she would need to be in. Alexis Thompson has potential. Big, strong. A lot to work with there. And I think Florentyna Parker (of the LET) was a junior player. She's still in terrific shape. Don't know if she's strong enough to hit with six-feet and over players like Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova and Victoria Azarenka. Even a "finesse" player like Caroline Wozniacki has some pop in her racquet when she lets loose.

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-30-2012 at 10:14 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #35

BKB
Ya, Rogers Cup.

IMO...it's night and day in power, strength, speed and fitness of a tennis pro vs. a golfer.

You don't need to be in great shape to be a great golfer....but it's a prerequisite for tennis and many others sports.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #36

more pics on my blog: Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal: Thoughts The New Big Rivalry In Tennis Following the 2012 Australian Open Fairways and Forehands

Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal

So much has been said about the epic 5 hour 53 minute final between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal at the 2012 Australian Open. Every accolade is deserved. Both players went beyond skill and will, entering the realm of guts and glory. These two great champions lifted themselves and the game of tennis. In the end, Djokovic outlasted Nadal to successfully defend his 2011 crown. It’s really too bad there couldn’t have been two winners in a match like this, the longest final in Major history during the Open era.

Rafael Nadal

For Rafael Nadal, the bad news is that although he still has a slight edge over Nole in total career head-to-head match-ups, he has now lost 7 straight matches to Djokovic. Those are all finals and now 3 straight Major finals; Wimbledon, US Open and Australian Open. At the moment, it’s all Novak. However, Rafa played Djokovic better in Melbourne than he did in New York or London. Rafa was even up in the 5th set and had a chance to put Novak away. However, to be fair, Novak also blew a triple break point against Rafa in the 4th that probably would have ended it in 4 for Djokovic. Still, I think Nadal has to be encouraged that on hardcourts, arguably Nole’s best surface, he took Djokovic to the edge. Rafa went 0 for 6 against Nole in 2011. If Nadal is healthy this year, he will not go winless against Novak again unless Djokovic somehow manages to go to even another plateau.

Novak Djokovic

And that brings us to Novak Djokovic. Will this war of a win elevate his game and confidence to an even higher level? If it does, the rest of the field better look out. I think he also finally has a signature match on his record now. As great as he was last year, I think his signature moment was the forehand return he cracked against Roger Federer at the US Open on the first of two match points against him. He came back to beat Federer that day, but it was nothing like this match against Nadal. This is his Thrilla in Manila. And like Ali and Frazier in that fight, this match doesn’t highlight Nole’s highest show of skill, but rather the time he had to dig deepest and show he isn’t just the world’s #1 player, he is tough. He could not have beaten Rafa in this kind of match 2 years ago. He has matured so much since leading Serbia to the Davis Cup title at the end of 2010. He got a gut check in this match. Both players did. And both passed the test. Again, it’s too bad there couldn’t have been two winners. If there is one thing Nole should do this year that he didn’t do last year it is to be more careful with his schedule. When you are winning nearly every tournament you enter, it’s great. But it also means you play more matches than everybody else. So maybe he should skip some of the events he played last year, even if it means not defending those points. He really ran himself into the ground by the end of the year.

Nole

with Rod Laver

Rafa

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #37

from my blog: Victoria Azarenka Gives Away Tickets To Indian Wells 2012 On Ellen Show Fairways and Forehands

Victoria Azarenka and Ellen Degeneres

Fresh off her win at the 2012 Australian Open and ascension to world #1, Victoria Azarenka was a guest on the Ellen show, hosted by Ellen Degeneres. While on the show, she received a REALLY big teddy bear (Vika apparently collects them). The show gave away tickets to everybody in the audience to the 2012 BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, California March 5th thru 18th. Indian Wells is one of the events, along with the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami, considered a “mini-Major” by some tennis fans. In the immediate future, Vika will lead Team Belarus against Team USA in Fed Cup play February 4th and 5th. The match will take place in Worcester, Massachusetts. Although neither team is in the World Group at the moment, it is significant in that both Serena and Venus Williams will play for Team USA. A lot of eyes will be on the Vika-Serena singles match.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/