Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #21

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
BKB
When a call is challenged....do they use GPS or on court laser technology to determine if the ball is in or out.....thx.
Here's a cool video from the Aussie Open about Hawkeye!

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #22

BKB...thx

Have you been to many events or majors?

My sister is a big tennis player and fan. She took me to an event to see the gals in Toronto. I couldn't believe how expensive the tix were....$200/seat and the seats weren't that great.

It's so great you can get up close to any top LPGA pro vs. tennis or other sports.

I was in Paris in June 2008....I could have gone to the French Open....but with only 1 week.....no time.....and the wife is not a tennis fan.

My all time fav is Tracy Austin...I think she's still a hottie ( I haven't seen her commentating much).....I also like Ana Ivanovic, Anna K and Monica S.

I read that Monica is dating a 70 yr old billionaire who founded Paychex...didn't know she is a gold digger...lol.

I also liked Bjorn Borg (the Ice man).

Who are your favs?
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #23

I am a longtime tennis fan, from probably around the age of six to present. My favorite all-time players are Monica Seles and Ivan Lendl. The list of players among my favorites all-time are too numerous to list, but a few of them would be Hana Mandlikova, Kim Clijsters and Novak Djokovic.

Oddly, on the men's side, I really haven't had an on-court American favorite. I latched on to Lendl at the end of 1979 and stayed with him until the early 90s. I was never a big fan of McEnroe, Conners, Agassi, Sampras, etc.

...however...

...that's on-court. Off the court, I am a BIG fan of what Andre Agassi has done with his school and foundation. And John McEnroe I might not have rooted for much during matches (after all, I was pulling for Lendl to take titles) it meant a lot to me that he took Davis Cup very seriously. In my tennis fantasies as a child, the thing I wanted most was for tennis to be a medal sport in the Olympics (which it did eventually become) so that I could compete for my country and to be on the US Davis Cup team. I dreamed of that more than winning Wimbledon. In fact, the US Open was...and still is...my top regular schedule event. The Olympics, for me, is my top event. So I respected McEnroe for prioritizing Davis Cup while lots of other notable Americans have not. I also respected McEnroe for not taking the money, millions offered twice, to play an exhibition in Sun City, South Africa during apartheid. That also meant something to me. Lendl, Connors and others took the money. I understand athletes are not politicians, but McEnroe openly questioned the ethics of playing Sun City and I respect him for doing so. I understand that Arthur Ashe also visited South Africa, but I feel his reasoning for going are more complex than Lendl or Connors.

As for going to events. Yes, I have. Philadelphia, where I grew up, at one time had a WTA event (not anymore). My favorite match was a Seles-Capriati match around 1991-ish. Just looked it up...it was November 1991. But I actually prefer watching sports on television. I am always online or doing 7 things at one time. And I don't like crowds. One of the reasons I am reticent about going to an LPGA event. Maybe if Grace Park were playing an event near me and it might be the only time I had a chance to see her play live, I MIGHT consider going.

As for Majors, I worked for the United States Tennis Association for almost 9 years at their White Plains, NY HQ. Oddly enough, I didn't apply at the USTA. I was temping at the time and my agency gave me an assignment that just happened to be at the USTA! What luck! I was a permanent hire until a company wide downsizing eliminated so many jobs, including mine. I was a little fortunate. The downsizing went department to department and took almost two years to hit mine. But they let go of so many good people who had devoted their lives to the company. Basically, it was triggered by a former CFO who lost a great deal of the company's asset portfolio through mismanagement. Although the USTA has multi-multi-millions in the coffers to offset such a loss, the board of directors wanted to recoup the loss. The easiest way to do that over time is to slash the staff. They did other things in addition to that to recoup assets. But what irks me more than anything is that to this day they brag about record profits. The company didn't NEED to slash jobs. They just wanted MORE profit. Fine. It's business, not personal.

..but I digress...my point about being in the employ of the USTA is that I received free tickets to the US Open during my tenure. So that was a very nice perk. Also, when corporate sponsors had unused tickets to local events they would sometimes give them to us. The company was good about being fair by emailing the entire staff and offering the tickets first come, first serve. The WTA Championships, currently played in Istanbul but having moved around over the years to places including Los Angeles and Doha, at one time was in NYC, dubbed the "Chase Championships." So I've also been to that as well. But again, I actually prefer watching sports at home. But maybe one of these days I'll make it to an LPGA event. If I did, I would most like to go to either the Kraft Nabisco Championship or maybe an event in Asia (probably South Korea or Thailand).

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-26-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #24

BKB
To each their own.

I always prefer to watch any sporting event live. TV just doesn't capture it for me...the exception might be watching the final groups on the weekend at a men's golf major...the crowds are too big you can't see any of the action.

I likely may only go to the 2015 US Open near Seattle on practice days.....although Chambers Bay might be a course set up for spectator watching on the weekends.

I love the noise and crowds for stadium events.
I lived in Toronto and now Vancouver...I can't believe I have not gone to an NFL game in Buffalo or Seattle.....hopefully the Seahawks soon.

We don't tailgate in Canada...would love to go to an NFL team or college game for tailgating....nothing like drinking and eating BBQ starting at 8am....lol....although Seattle is not known for tailgating.

I believe you live in the NYC area...you had/have a few LPGA events kinda close by......I can't believe you've never seen the gals.

The crowds are very manageable and 99% of the gals are so fan friendly....you can only capture how good they are when you seem them play live...IMO.

I guarantee you'll like it.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #25

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
BKB
To each their own.

I always prefer to watch any sporting event live. TV just doesn't capture it for me...the exception might be watching the final groups on the weekend at a men's golf major...the crowds are too big you can't see any of the action.

I likely may only go to the 2015 US Open near Seattle on practice days.....although Chambers Bay might be a course set up for spectator watching on the weekends.

I love the noise and crowds for stadium events.
I lived in Toronto and now Vancouver...I can't believe I have not gone to an NFL game in Buffalo or Seattle.....hopefully the Seahawks soon.

We don't tailgate in Canada...would love to go to an NFL team or college game for tailgating....nothing like drinking and eating BBQ starting at 8am....lol....although Seattle is not known for tailgating.

I believe you live in the NYC area...you had/have a few LPGA events kinda close by......I can't believe you've never seen the gals.

The crowds are very manageable and 99% of the gals are so fan friendly....you can only capture how good they are when you seem them play live...IMO.

I guarantee you'll like it.
Just not my personality. Here's an example. If I were at the KNC, even if I happened to be in the same hotel and Se Ri Pak, Grace Park, Michelle Wie and Paula Creamer all were in the elevator with me by chance...I wouldn't say anything to them. Not even good luck or even good morning. I wouldn't acknowledge that I had any idea who they were. Nothing.

If I were to go to an LPGA event, I would go, watch the round in silence and then go back to the hotel. I wouldn't be the kind to go up at an event to get an autograph or talk to anybody, even other fans.

And I do understand the difference of seeing events live. Watching Seles and Capriati live, you get a sense of the speed and power they play with that you don't see on television. You can see the speed and power...but live you FEEL it and it seems like the ball is a blur.

...but...

...I am just a loner by nature...the internet is perfect for me...I can be sociable through forums, Facebook, Google+, my blog, etc...without ever having to meet anybody...although some of my FB friends are actually personal friends...

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #26

from my blog: Esther Vergeer Feature At The 2012 Australian Open Fairways and Forehands

Esther Vergeer at 2012 Australian Open

If you need an example of dominance in sports, look no further than wheelchair tennis champion Esther Vergeer. She is the world’s #1 ranked wheelchair player…and has been since April 6, 1999. As of this post, she has not lost a singles match since 2003. Not one. She entered the 2012 Australian Open with 19 Singles Majors, 20 Doubles Majors, 14 year end Masters singles titles, 9 Masters doubles titles, 3 Paralympic Games singles Gold Medals and 2 Paralympic Games doubles gold medals. She has advanced to the final of the 2012 Australian Open where she will take on #2 seed Aniek Van Koot. Can Van Koot end Vergeer’s 434 match singles winning streak?

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-27-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #27

BKB
It's your choice...but you should attend a LPGA event at least once just to take in the atmosphere....see what is happening outside the ropes....

but more importantly.....watch the gals play and see up close how good their shots are.

I'm the opposite....I like to chat with the gals if possible....the pros that don't have a large following are more receptive to chat for a short while if a you start a dialogue that interests them.

The LPGA pros are extremely friendly to grow the fan base.

It's enlightening to see how a popular pro like Natalie interacts with the crowds and no matter how large the group...I've never seen her deny an autograph...she sets the bar for fan friendliness.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #28

more pics on my blog: Vika Victorious! Azarenka Claims #1 Ranking and First Major Title At 2012 Australian Open Fairways and Forehands

Victoria Azarenka

Coming into 2012, there was a feeling that world #1 Caroline Wozniacki was not the true #1; that Petra Kvitova, 2011 Player of the Year, Wimbledon and Tour Championship winner was on top of the women’s tennis world. One month into the 2012 season, it has been proven that there is a new queen of tennis, but her name is Victoria Azarenka. Vika crushed Maria Sharapova in the 2012 Australian Open final, bordering on embarrassing Masha, 6-3 6-0. Sharapova is the name more known to the casual sports fan, but to hardcore tennis fans, it’s no surprise Azarenka won this title. She looked dominant earlier this month taking the crown in Sydney. She’s also owned Masha in recent meetings. Even when Vika lost to Sharapova due to retiring in Rome, she was up a set. What was surprising is how complete and lopsided this victory was, even dropping the dreaded bagel on Masha in the second set. A straight set win for Azarenka is understandable, but winning 12 of the final 13 games of the match? It seems the real final was the rollercoaster semifinal three setter between Vika and Kim Clijsters. Azarenka is the new world #1. Nobody should be arguing that right now.

Azarenka moves to 12-0 on the year, and it’s easy to see why. Even against great opponents like Clijsters and Sharapova, Vika is not giving them anything cheaply. She is making players work and work and work on nearly every rally without giving them any holes to exploit. And she has power to back up that consistency. The way she’s playing right now is going to be a nightmare for anybody challenging her. She has the consistency of Caroline Wozniacki combined with the attack game of Clijsters. That’s scary.

Vika absolutely deserves her #1 ranking and more importantly, wears that ranking with a Major win. However, there are challengers aplenty on her heels. The new rankings following the Australian Open are:

1. Victoria Azarenka
2. Petra Kvitova
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Caroline Wozniacki
5. Samantha Stosur

I have some quibbles with the computer over those rankings. 1 and 2 are fine. I still think I would put Caroline ahead of Maria right now. Samantha Stosur won the 2011 US Open, but she has been way off her game to start 2012, with more losses than wins so far. That said, as well as Vika played to win Sydney and Melbourne, Clijsters had many chances in the semifinal match to get important breaks of serve against Azarenka which Kimmie did not capitalize on. And the ones she did capitalize on, she gave right back on her serve. Also, just as Vika seems to have Masha’s number I think Kvitova matches up better with Vika. As I’ve said here before, styles make fights as the boxing saying goes. Masha’s game gives Vika no problems. Kvitova’s does. But Kvitova needs to tighten up mentally. Petra lost in Sydney to Li Na in a match she should have won. Petra had chances and probably should have beaten Masha in the Australian Open semis. But Kvitova gets these lapses sometimes. If you take everybody in the top 5 and ask me who I think is best IF they play their best game, I would say Petra Kvitova. However, she occassionally has these periods where she will let matches get away from her. Vika is much tighter at this moment. I also think Caroline Wozniacki’s style can give Vika problems. She has losing records against both Kvitova and Wozniacki. Right now, Vika is letting opponents beat themselves with errors. Wozniacki at her best won’t give you a lot of errors. Vika will have to go for more against Caroline. But it’s a long season and there might be lots of musical chairs for the #1 spot this year. For today, it belongs to Vika.

Singles – Final
(3) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) 63 60

Vika

Masha

with Martina Hingis

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #29

more pics on my blog: Esther Vergeer Continues Dominance With Singles and Doubles Wheelchair Titles At 2012 Australian Open Fairways and Forehands

Esther Vergeer

Congratulations to Esther Vergeer on her bazillionth wheelchair singles win in a row (ok not really that much…you can read more about her titles here: Esther Vergeer Feature at the 2012 Australian Open). Esther added the 2012 Australian Open Women’s Wheelchair trophy to her list of accolades. Not only did she win, she emphatically and completely torched 2nd seed Aniek Van Koot, 6-0 6-0.

Esther Vergeer, Sharon Walraven

Esther also teamed with Sharon Walraven to defeat Aniek Van Koot and Marjolein Buis, 4-6 6-2 6-4. I applaude all the men and women participating in the wheelchair division. So many of us are handcuffed by the things we don’t believe we can do. These players won’t let doubt stop them from pursuing their dreams.

Esther Vergeer

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-29-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #30

from my blog: Victoria Azarenka Receives Order of the Motherland From Belarus President Fairways and Forehands

Victoria Azarenka with Australian Open trophy

Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko has bestowed the Order of the Motherland on Belarusian tennis star, and new world #1 and Australian Open champion, Victoria Azarenka. Born in Minsk, Vika is first player from Belarus to win a Major singles crown and the first Belarusian to be ranked #1. President Lukashenko called Vika “the pride of the whole nation.”

Vika with world #1 trophy

---Bruce Lee