Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #11

more pics and video on my blog: Ana Ivanovic Wins Third Round Match At 2012 Australian Open, Sets Up Showdown With Petra Kvitova; Can Sabine Lisicki Upset Maria Sharapova? Fairways and Forehands

Ana Ivanovic

Much like the Jelena Jankovic victory over Christina McHale in round three of the 2012 Australian Open, the win by Ana Ivanovic over Vania King, 6-3 6-4, left me conflicted. Ana, like Jelena, is one of my favorite players, but I was rooting for the American Vania as well. With the win, Ana earns a date with 2011 Player of the Year Petra Kvitova. Ana has a 3-0 record against Petra, but you can throw those results out. Those were matches from 2008 and 2009, when Ana was at the top of her game and Petra was far short of what she is now. I think this match will turn on what Kvitova shows up, the player that blows through opponents or the one that self-destructs with errors. Can’t wait to see this one.

Sabine Lisicki

Another fourth round match I’m excited to see is Maria Sharapova vs Sabine Lisicki. Masha dismissed Angelique Kerber 1 and 2 while Sabine fought back to take out Svetlana Kuznetsova, 2-6 6-4 6-2. Masha leads Sabine 2-0 in career match-ups, both wins occuring in 2011, including the semifinals of Wimbledon. But the win in Miami on hardcourt, where Masha torched Sabine 2 and love, really raises my eyebrow. I hope Sabine can play well this time. She has the physical tools. But where she can have some drama is mentally. She was lucky against Svetlana that she was playing someone who can get down on herself as much as Svetlana can at times. That won’t happen against Masha. The former world #1 is one of the most mentally focused players on tour.

Petra Kvitova

Maria Sharapova

Zheng Jie

Singles - Third Round
(2) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. (27) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 60 10 ret. (left leg muscle injury)
(4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (30) Angelique Kerber (GER) 61 62
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) d. (7) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 76(7) 61
Zheng Jie (CHN) d. (9) Marion Bartoli (FRA) 63 63
(12) Serena Williams (USA) d. Greta Arn (HUN) 61 61
(14) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. (18) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 26 64 62
(21) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Vania King (USA) 63 64
Sara Errani (ITA) d. Sorana Cirstea (ROU) 67(6) 60 62

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-21-2012 at 04:07 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #12

Well, Bobby....I think I saw the toughest woman in tennis fight back last night. What a great win for Kim Clijsters.....but I do feel a litle sorry for Li Na.
I would imagine that Kim might be feeling some pretty good soreness in the ankle
today.

Viva Kim

Last edited by Buzzer; 01-22-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: adding
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Well, Bobby....I think I saw the toughest woman in tennis fight back last night. What a great win for Kim Clijsters.....but I do feel a litle sorry for Li Na.
I would imagine that Kim might be feeling some pretty good soreness in the ankle
today.

Viva Kim
That was awesome..but she will have to be 100% or at least close to it to beat Caroline.

more pics and video on my blog: Kim Comeback! Clijsters Fights Off Four Match Points To Defeat Li Na At 2012 Australian Open, Sets Up Quarter With Caroline Wozniacki Fairways and Forehands

Kim Clijsters

There is a commercial that spawned the oft-satirized phrase, ďIíve fallen and I canít get up.Ē In the 2012 Australian Open round of 16 against a spirited and on her game Li Na, Kim Clijsters rolled her ankle at 3-3 in the first set, taking a tumble to scorching Plexicushion Presige court surface. Not only was she physically down briefly, bouncing back up to finish the point, more importantly for the next set and a half as she clearly had trouble moving to her right, not even making plays on balls for which she would normally stretch, she was down mentally, later admitting that the thought of retiring from the match did cross her mind. But Kimmie got up. Physically, at first. Then mentally and emotionally. Boy, did she get up.

Li Na is a player that has recently given Kim problems, even when Clijsters is at full strength. Styles make fights, as the boxing expression goes, and Liís game is very similar to Kimís. With Kim not moving well to her right, and also not being able to get any spring on her serve, Li had Kim on the precipice of defeat, winning the first set 6-4 and with the game score 6-6 in the second up 6-2 in the tiebreak. Thatís four match points for the tournamentís 5th seed. But then, when all looked lost, a clear demonstration of what separates Li and Clijsters was on display. Instead of attacking, Li seemed to be waiting for Clijsters to make a mistake. And Clijsters did. But a tentative Li Na didnít capitalize. Kim fought off the first three match points, but on the fourth had a lapse in judgement hitting a drop shot from the baseline than sat up nearly midcourt for Li. Thatís the ball Li Na has to crush and end the match. She did not. She inexplicably hit a soft shot right back to Clijsters, who like a champion hit the correct shot, beautifully lobbing Li to erase all four match points.

Li Na

Suddenly, a burst of emotion Iíve never seen from Kim at this point of a match erupted. She quickly won the next two points of the tie-break to even the match a one set each. Clearly deflated, Li Na did the opposite of Kim, mentally going away at the beginning of the third set, resulting in Kim being able to go up two breaks at 4-0. Ah, but these Clijsters-Li matches always seem to have extra drama. Li seemed to get revitalized, winning 4 of the next 5 games to close to 5-4 Clijsters from 4-0. Might we see the tremendous second set comeback from Clijsters trumped by a third set comeback from Li? Not on this day. Clijsters pulled it together to finish off Li 6-4 in the final set to cap a tremendous comeback from the edge of disaster.

I donít want to rain on Kimís parade today. She showed guts fighting back. But Caroline Wozniacki, Kimís next opponent, plays a far different style than Li. As I said, styles make fights. You can be a little hobbled and come back against a high risk player like Li Na who can mentally go away at times. Against Caroline, who is a human backboard, Kim will have to hit a lot of shots and chase down a lot of balls. You can bet that right now Caroline and her father have already decided to run Kim all over the court and test that ankle. If Kim, who has never lost to Caroline, canít move well she wonít be able to defeat Caroline. If she can move well, Clijsters can win. It all comes down to that ankle and how close it is to recovered. As a final thought, while I am thrilled by Kimís comeback against Li, the Chinese star is also one of my favorite players. This one really hurt. I definitely feel for her. I hope she can recover mentally from this. It will hurt for some time, though.

Singles - Fourth Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. (13) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 60 75
(3) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Iveta Benesova (CZE) 62 62
(11) Kim Clijsters (BEL) d. (5) Li Na (CHN) 46 76(6) 64
(8) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. (22) Julia Goerges (GER) 61 61

Kim Clijsters

Caroline Wozniacki

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #14

note: Tennis Australia, of all the Majors, doesn't like YouTube videos from their events from others. That's fine. It's their right. But most of the other events don't care after the match is over. So these videos work for a day or two before they get yanked in most cases.

more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova Outduels Sabine Lisicki To Advance To Quarterfinals Of 2012 Australian Open; Serena Williams Upset By Ekaterina Makarova Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Don’t look now, but Maria Sharapova’s path to a possible 2nd Australian Open title just became a wee bit smoother than she might have thought. Masha outdueled the game Sabine Lisicki in the fourth round, 3-6 6-2 6-3. What that was suppose to do, when the draw was made over a week ago, was presumably set up a showdown with Serena Williams. But this is sports and anything can, and often does, happen. Instead of Serena, Masha will face streaky lefty Ekaterina Makarova, who upset the 5-time Australian Open champion Williams. Now, we cannot just assume Masha will win. She will be the favorite, for sure. However, Sharapova has a history of having service yips. If she serves reasonably well, she should win. If not, Makarova could score her third straight upset, after having taken out Vera Zvonareva and then Serena.

Serena Williams

Speaking of Serena, she was the last American standing. Now, there are none in the men’s or women’s singles draws. I can’t say if this was the worst I’ve ever seen Serena or not, as Chris Evert said it was. But I know that she just looked physically listless from the first game of the match on. It looked like she started the match physically and emotionally drained. It didn’t seem that her ankle was that much of a factor, although obviously I am in no position to say. It just appeared ok. She just had a look like she would rather be anywhere but on the court. Maybe, she’s just on the other side of 30 now and had a bad day. Maybe, she’s at an age where she can’t just show up with minimal match play and expect to win a Major, as she has done in the past.

Singles – Fourth Round
(2) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. (21) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 62 76(2)
(4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (14) Sabine Lisicki (GER) 36 62 63
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) d. (12) Serena Williams (USA) 62 63
Sara Errani (ITA) d. Zheng Jie (CHN) 62 61

Maria Sharapova

Ana Ivanovic

Ekaterina Makarova

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #15

I've got just one word, Bobby......WOW...

Viva Kim
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #16

Hi bobby,
Great threat on 2012 Australian open and found many interesting videos with awesome pictures so thanks for starting 2012 Australian open threat. I will keep check this threat to get more pictures and videos.
Gabrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I've got just one word, Bobby......WOW...

Viva Kim
...yes...but now she takes on the player with the most momentum, Victoria Azarenka...a potential #1...

...thanks, Gabrial...

more pics and video on my blog: Kim Clijsters Ends Caroline Wozniacki’s Reign At #1, Sets Up Semifinal With Victoria Azarenka At 2012 Australian Open Fairways and Forehands

Kim Clijsters

With all due respect to Caroline Wozniacki, a supremely talented player, I wonder if Kim Clijsters or Serena Williams had not been injured or part-time players over the last year or so would Carolineís reign as the world #1 have ended sooner. As it is, Kim Clijsters showed no signs of discomfort from her injured ankle to oust Caroline from the 2012 Australian Open, 6-4 7-6 (4). With the loss, Wozniacki will lose her #1 ranking at the end of the Australian Open. As of this blog post, that could mean either Petra Kvitova, Maria Sharapova or Victoria Azarenka could ascend to the #1 ranking. But donít think this means Caroline is permanently dismissed from the #1 ranking. She lost the top spot for one week last year to Kim Clijsters before coming back to immediately regain it.

Victoria Azarenka

Kim will take on potential #1 Victoria Azarenka in the semifinals, who overcame a first set tiebreak whitewash to overwhelm Agnieszka Radwanska over the final two sets, 6-7 (0) 6-0 6-2. Victoria has been white hot to start 2012, winning in Sydney and advancing with relative ease to the semifinals here. Although Kim has a 4-2 career record against Vika, most of those matches were before Azarenka was what she is now. The last time these two played, in Miami 2011-a tournament Vika won, Azarenka beat Clijsters in straight sets. I think Vika goes in as the favorite this time, despite Kimís career record. Right now, Azarenka is the hotter player. That said, if Kim can play the way she did in the first set against Caroline, and not so much the way she did coming down the stretch of the second set, she can beat anybody.

Singles Ė Quarterfinals
(11) Kim Clijsters (BEL) d. (1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 63 76(4)
(3) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (8) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 67(0) 60 62

Kim Clijsters

Victoria Azarenka

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #18

more pics and video on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova Advance To Semifinals Of 2012 Australian Open Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova and Petra Kvitova joined Kim Clijsters and Victoria Azarenka in the final four of the 2012 Australian Open. Like Azarenka, Masha and Petra are playing for both a spot in the Australian Open final and a chance to ascend to the world #1 ranking, relinquished by Caroline Wozniacki with her loss to Clijsters in the quarterfinals. Masha was in total control against Ekaterina Makarova, winning 6-2 6-3. Coming off her upset of Serena Williams, Makarova did not get the truckload of free points on errors from Masha that she did from Serena. Still, Ekaterina is a player to keep an eye on this year. She has a lot of potential.

Petra Kvitova

Masha will have her hands full in the semifinals with Petra Kvitova, a winner over Sara Errani, 6-4 6-4. This is a rematch of the 2011 Wimbledon final, won in straight sets by Petra. Sharapova must serve reasonably well to win. If she has service yips in this match, Petra will beat her again. However, if Masha is focused and playing well Petra must avoid those mental lapses that still creep into her game during matches or Sharapova will win. Itís a tough one to call. Petra at her best is probably a step better than Masha at this moment. But Masha looks so hungry to win another Major, itís tough to pick against her.

Singles Ė Quarterfinals
(2) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. Sara Errani (ITA) 64 64
(4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 62 63

Masha

Petra

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #19

more pics and video on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka Set To Battle For #1 In 2012 Australian Open Final Fairways and Forehands

Maria Sharapova

In life, when opportunity knocks you have to be ready to answer. Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka both enter the 2012 Australian Open Women’s Singles Final with an opportunity to claim the world #1 ranking. We will see who answers the call. Maria Sharapova seized the moment in her semifinal with 2011 WTA Player of the Year Petra Kvitova by maximizing her chances. While Masha was 5 for 5 on her break point opportunities, Petra Kvitova was 4 for 13. Kvitova had Sharapova in trouble on serve many times, but the 2008 Australian Open winner Masha escaped often enough to post a 6-2 3-6 6-4 victory.

Victoria Azarenka overwhelmed after defeating Kim Clijsters

Like Petra Kvitova, Kim Clijsters did not capitalize on break chances, four in one game she squandered early in the match. But let me give all credit to Victoria Azarenka. She was clearly the better, sharper player on this day. Yes, Kimmie made a comeback in the second set, but she was aided by 16 unforced errors by Vika. When Vika cleaned up her errors, she was outplaying Kim. As a Kimmie fan, it was difficult to watch her last Australian Open end before the final but on this day Vika deserved the win.

The head-to-head between Vika and Masha is a bit misleading at 3-3. The 2011 Rome win for Sharapova was due to Vika retiring. Vika won the first set. Some of the older matches are a bit sketchy too, as Azarenka wasn’t what she is now. Still, It seems even when Masha won, she was stretched by Vika. Sharapova will have to serve well. If she gives away points on double faults or has to rely on second serves, she won’t win. On the other hand, Vika needs to avoid letting Masha into the match at all. For all of her great play in the semifinals, Clijsters had a chance to escape. If Vika allows Masha to gain confidence and get on a roll, the pressure of a final might get to Azarenka.

Singles - Semifinals
(4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (2) Petra Kvitova (CZE) 62 36 64
(3) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (11) Kim Clijsters (BEL) 64 16 63

Masha

Vika

Petra

Kim

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-26-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #20

BKB
When a call is challenged....do they use GPS or on court laser technology to determine if the ball is in or out.....thx.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote