Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #21

Video and more pics here: Possible Future Of American Tennis On Display At 2011 Western & Southern Open; Christina McHale Defeats #1 Caroline Wozniacki, Ryan Harrison Loses To #1 Novak Djokovic Fairways And Forehands

Christina McHale

One day after an HBO Real Sports feature on the decline of American tennis, two promising young Americans squared off against the women’s and men’s world #1s. 19 year old New Jersey native Christina McHale shocked the tennis world by knocking top seed Caroline Wozniacki out of the 2011 Western & Southern Open at Cincinnati, 6-4 7-5. Upsets happen in tennis. Furthermore, Caroline has been in the doldrums since Wimbledon. What is shocking is not simply that Christina beat Caroline, but how she did so. At times McHale out-Wozniackied Wozniacki. Caroline talked about all of the unforced errors she made (37), but some of that was due to Christina keeping rallies alive until Caroline made an error. That’s usually Wozniacki’s recipe for success. Christina took it a step further by picking times to attack with her big forehand, a shot that has improved vastly. McHale was actually dictating points against the #1 ranked player in the world. I would not be surprised if Christina had a letdown in her next match against Nadia Petrova, but win or lose in the next round she gets to savor the biggest victory of her life. The American tennis public may have seen a glimpse of a future American champion.

Novak Djokovic

19-year old Ryan Harrison might also one day be a champion, but against Novak Djokovic he learned who is sitting on top of the mountain today. Give the young Harrison credit, he came out gunning, breaking Nole in the first game of the match. But Djokovic won 6 of next 7 games, breaking Ryan on all of his serves to win the first set 6-2. After a quick break for 2-0 in the second set, it was simply a matter of what the final score would be for a Nole win. Ultimately, Novak prevailed 6-2 6-3. If there is one thing I’d advise for Harrison, it would be to better control his emotions. He is not John McEnroe. He is more like Andy Roddick. Here is the difference. McEnroe was able to, at times, play well through his on-court antics. Roddick’s antics usually lead to a meltdown in his game and a loss. Forget tennis decorum and setting an example. I am not chastising Ryan for being emotional. But it doesn’t help his game. It’s a waste of focus and energy.

Ana Ivanovic

Ana Ivanovic. Oh Ana. This is why I celebrate any Ana victory, even early round wins. I get that Nadia Petrova is a good player who can be streaky, but Ana should not have lost to her. Just when I think Ana is about to get on a roll, she has these head-scratching losses. 48% first serve percentage? 11 double faults? And she still had a chance to pull out the second set. This is the kind of day it’s tough to be an Ana fan. At least Jelena Jankovic is still in the draw. These great Serbian champions both make me crazy sometimes with shake my head losses. But I will continue to cheer them both, hoping they can return to form.

Singles – Second Round
(WC) Christina McHale (USA) d. (1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 64 75
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 63 60
(7) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 75 36 64
(9) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. (LL) Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) 62 64
(10) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Serena Williams (USA) w/o (right toe injury aggravation)
(13) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. (Q) Zheng Jie (CHN) 46 63 61
(14) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. (Q) Petra Cetkovska (CZE) 46 63 64
Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (15) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 63 76(4)
(16) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Sara Errani (ITA) 62 64
(Q) Petra Martic (CRO) d. (17) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) 36 62 62
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 63 64
Shahar Peer (ISR) d. (LL) Pauline Parmentier (FRA) 62 63

Christina McHale

Vera Zvonareva

Jelena Jankovic

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #22

Videos and pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova Defeats Svetlana Kuznetsova, Samantha Stosur Outduels Li Na In Third Round Of 2011 Western & Southern Open Fairways And Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2011 Western & Southern Open at Cincinnati with a straight set victory over fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, 6-2 6-3. This was a potentially tough match for Masha, as the last three times she played Sveta, it went 3 sets. In fact, 5 of their 9 prior matches went the full distance. So it’s good for Masha to get through quickly and get some rest before facing Samantha Stosur in the quarterfinals. With the score 2-2, Masha broke Sveta in the fifth game of 1st set. From there, Maria put the foot on the gas with her powerful groundstrokes, closing out the match by winning 10 of the last 13 games. The only thing I didn’t like from Masha’s performance was those 5 double faults. She is 8-0 against Stosur, but she better not give points away to the powerful Australian.

“No matter what my record is and how much success I’ve had against her, it’s always a new match. She’s clearly playing really good tennis, so I have to treat it as a new match. She’s a good, tough opponent – she has a really good serve, one of the best on the tour.” – Maria Sharapova

Samantha Stosur

While Samantha Stosur has never beaten Maria Sharapova, she has never lost to Li Na. In fact, going into their third round match Samantha had never even lost a set to Li Na in 4 matches. Add that to the fact that Li Na sometimes struggles, as a lot of players do, against big servers, and this had the makings of a quick win for Samantha. I give Li Na credit. She gave Stosur all she could handle and had a shot to win this. It was a tough three set win for Samantha, 6-4 3-6 6-4. This was a very even match that could have gone either way.

“Tennis is a funny game, because you can have a really good match-up against some players then terrible match-ups against others. In the past she has struggled on the return against me and the high-bouncing kicker. She tried to attack it more today – it came off sometimes, it didn’t at other times.” – Samantha Stosur

Singles – Third Round
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. (Q) Petra Martic (CRO) 62 62
(4/WC) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (14) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 62 63
(10) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. (5) Li Na (CHN) 64 36 64
(9) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. (6) Petra Kvitova (CZE) 63 63
(13) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. (7) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 63 57 64
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. (8) Marion Bartoli (FRA) 63 57 63
(16) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Shahar Peer (ISR) 63 62
Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (WC) Christina McHale (USA) 63 63

Maria Sharapova

Vera Zvonareva

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #23

Videos and more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Vera Zvonareva Set For Semifinal Clash At 2011 Western & Southern Open At Cincinnati Fairways And Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Make it 9-0 for Maria Sharapova in her head-to-head matches with Samantha Stosur. Masha played a superb match in once again running through the powerful Stosur, 6-3 6-2. When Masha has a 72% first serve percentage, as she did in this match, she is tough to beat. She was incredibly aggressive, really taking the game to Samantha. After the match, Stosur mentioned some of the players she has struggled to beat. Those players, Victoria Azarenka, Kim Clijsters and Venus Williams, are very similar to Masha. They want you to bring the heat. The power game that Samantha uses to push other players around is welcome by these players. Samantha is a great player, potentially a Major winner one day. She has finished runner-up before. But in head-to-head matches against Kim, Masha, Venus and Vika, she faces players who do what she does, but can take that style a notch higher and are not intimidated by Samantha’s power game.

“There are a few players I’ve never beaten, and they all pretty much play a similar game style. Azarenka, Clijsters, Venus. There are a few players in there that are the best in the world and do that style better than anyone else. I guess it’s back to the drawing board.” – Samantha Stosur

Vera Zvonareva

Awaiting Masha in the semifinals is fellow Russian star, and the top seeded player left in the women’s singles draw, Vera Zvonareva, who had all she could handle in getting by Daniela Hantuchova, 6-3 7-6 (6). Daniela had a set point to extend it to a third set, but Vera was able to fight it off and survive a match that featured a 1-hour and 13 minute second set. With Vera getting stretched by Daniela, even though it was a straight set match, and Masha blitzing through Samantha, I wonder if Sharapova will come out fresher and jump on Zvonareva early. Although Vera is the highest remaining seed, there is a feeling that Masha, with a winning 6-3 record against her foe, is the favorite. But with Masha, Vera, Andrea Petkovic and Jelena Jankovic all in the semifinals, I would say a case could be made that there is no clear favorite. Masha is the biggest name, but all of these players are champions. They also all have holes in their games so there are no guarantees here.

Singles – Quarterfinals
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 63 76(6)
(4/WC) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (10) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 63 62
(9) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. Nadia Petrova (RUS) 75 61
(13) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. (16) Peng Shuai (CHN) w/o (left hip injury)

Samantha Stosur, Maria Sharapova

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-20-2011, 03:11 AM   #24

Videos on my blog: Kim Clijsters Withdraws From 2011 US Open With Abdominal Injury Fairways And Forehands

Kim Clijsters and daughter, Jada, after 2010 win at US Open

Three-time US Open champion and two-time defending champion Kim Clijsters will not have a chance to win her third US Open in a row and fourth overall as she has pulled out of the 2011 US Open with an abdominal injury. Kim was riding high after opening the year by winning her fourth Major at the 2011 Australian Open and a few weeks later regaining the #1 ranking briefly. Since then, it’s has been a lost year full of one injury after another. I wonder if we’ve seen the last of this great champion. If her body won’t cooperate and she misses the rest of the year, will she stick to her plan to play through the 2012 London Summer Olympics or decide her body can no longer take the stress and walk away with her future Hall of Fame induction a lock?

“Unfortunately, I will not be able to defend my US Open title this year because of a stomach muscle injury. Two weeks of rehab was not enough to heal this injury. Obviously I’m very disappointed. I trained very hard this summer and felt in a good shape to play the US Open. Now there is nothing else I can do than to rest and have treatment every day. If a gradual approach is not taken, I will relapse in the same injury, and therefore I have also no other possibility than to withdraw from Tokyo and Beijing.” – Kim Clijsters

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #25

Video and more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova, Jelena Jankovic Reach 2011 Western & Southern Women’s Final Fairways And Forehands

Maria Sharapova

Former world #1 Maria Sharapova reached her third final of the year by overcoming a slow start and outlasting Vera Zvonareva in the semifinal of the 2011 Western & Southern Open, 2-6 6-3 6-3. Dropping serve twice in the opening set, Masha fell behind early, losing the first set. Sharapova stormed back to overtake Vera the final two sets and give herself a chance to add a second 2011 title to the one she won in Rome. Masha will take on another former #1, Jelena Jankovic, who beat Andrea Petkovic, 7-6 (4) 6-1. Petkovic’s right knee was heavily bandaged due to an injury. Jelena is my 2nd favorite player (behind Kim Clijsters) but to be honest, she has had a royal road to the final. JJ had a walkover win againts Peng Shuai, not even having to play. Then she beat an injured Petkovic. Although Sharapova was sloppy at times against Zvonareva (they were both sloppy at times), I have to make her the favorite going in against Jankovic, whom she has beaten in 5 out of 6 career matches. On the other hand, Jelena might have an advantage in that few people expect her to win and most think Masha should win. Maybe JJ goes out and plays loose and free while Masha is a bit stiff, as she was in the 2011 Wimbledon final.

“I haven’t played Jelena in quite a while. It’s going to be more about what I do out there. So I really need to focus on doing the right things in order to win the match. But it’s the final, so Jelena has obviously been playing well to get there. We’ve known each other since we were very young. We grew up in Florida in the same sort of group. In the juniors we played a lot of matches against each other and had many battles. Here we are now at the professional level. We know each other’s games quite well. It’s good to see her back at this stage. She’s a great player. She was No.1 in the world, so it’s no joke.” – Maria Sharapova

Singles – Semifinals
(4/WC) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 26 63 63
(13) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. (9) Andrea Petkovic (GER) 76(4) 61

Maria Sharapova

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #26

Videos and more pics on my blog: Maria Sharapova Wins 2011 Western & Southern Open At Cincinnati Fairways And Forehands

Maria Sharapova, 2011 Western & Southern Champion

10-0. That was the 2011 third set record Maria Sharapova brought with her into the final of the 2011 Western & Southern Open at Cincinnati. This year, if a player is to beat Masha, they better do it in straight sets. If she takes you to a third, she has been automatic. In the Cincinnati final, Jelena Jankovic had Masha down a set and an early break but couldn’t finish her. JJ had Masha in a second set tiebreak to win it, and still couldn’t finish her. JJ even had Masha down a break three times in the third set and couldn’t close the show. Showing grit, fitness and mental toughness, Masha rallied back every time she was in danger of letting this match slip away to finally capture the championship, 4-6 7-6 (3) 6-3. Make that 11-0 in third sets this year.

With the win, Masha takes her second title of the year, to go along with her victory in Rome on clay. The former world #1 also climbs back to #4 in rankings. It wasn’t the prettiest of wins, as both players were streaky. For the first 6 games of the final set, neither player could hold serve. Jelena would break first. Masha would break back. Neither player seemed able to protect their serve. Finally, Masha held serve at love in the 7th game of the set to go up 4-3. It was now up to Jelena to try to hold serve for the first time in the set. She didn’t. After going up 30-0, JJ was passed by a beautiful crosscourt angled forehand by Masha. An unforced backhand error later, and it was 30-30. You could sense trouble for JJ. And she was indeed in jeopardy. She missed another backhand up the line to give Masha a break point. JJ battled back to deuce. At deuce, it appeared that JJ hit an ace, but Masha challenged the call. The replay showed the ball was out. Masha would win the point on JJ’s second serve for another break point but missed long on the next point to go back to deuce. This was the game to decide the match, even if it wasn’t the final game of the match. Both players knew it, and it turned into a marathon. Unfortunately, it ended the way you don’t want to see a decisive game end, with JJ double faulting twice in a row to hand the game to Masha. Up 5-3, Masha wouldn’t let JJ off the hook, finishing her at 30 in the final game.

The commentators made a great point about this match. It was a great win for Masha, another step in her potential return to the top of the game, but the kind of tennis played in this match cannot win a Major. Both ladies will need to step up their games to take the title in Flushing Meadow at the 2011 US Open. Masha is the clearer candidate to make a run, but JJ is a darkhorse. Still, over 60 errors and 11 double faults, which Masha had in this match, won’t get it done if Masha is facing Serena Williams or Caroline Wozniacki on the other side of the net in the Big Apple. In the end, a win is a win. It doesn’t have to be aesthetically pleasing.

Singles – Final
(4/WC) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (13) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 46 76(3) 63

Maria Sharapova

Jelena Jankovic

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #27

Expanded Rankings and Video tribute from a fan (not me) linked here: WTA Rankings (8/22/2011) and US Open Series Standings: Maria Sharapova On The Move Fairways And Forehands

Maria Sharapova

With her second title of the year at the 2011 Western & Southern Open at Cincinnati, former world #1 Maria Sharapova jumps from #7 to #4 in the WTA Rankings. She also moved into 2nd place in the US Open Series. She will not play in the New Haven Open at Yale, opting instead to rest the week before Flushing Meadow. Serena Williams also will not play. The only player who can overtake Serena for the lead in the US Open Series is Agnieszka Radwanska, who will play. Masha could have overtaken Serena had she played and won.

US Open Series

1. Serena Williams 170
2. Maria Sharapova 130
2. Agnieszka Radwanska 130
4. Vera Zvonareva 105
5. Andrea Petkovic 95
5. Samantha Stosur 95
7. Jelena Jankovic 70
8. Marion Bartoli 60
9. Victoria Azarenka 45
10. Daniela Hantuchova 40
10. Ana Ivanovic 40
10. Sabine Lisicki 40
10. Peng Shuai 40

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #28

Video of Christina on my blog: Christina McHale Set For Rematch With Caroline Wozniacki At 2011 New Haven Open At Yale Fairways And Forehands

Christina McHale

Christina McHale has shown, in the past couple of weeks, that she just might have the game to be a future…and maybe not too distant future…American champion. In Cincinnati, she knocked off the #1 ranked player in the world, Caroline Wozniacki. She then followed that up this week by knocking two-time Major winner Svetlana Kuznetsova out of the 2011 New Haven Open at Yale. After following her victory over Sveta with another over Carla Suarez Navarro, Christina will get another chance to face world #1 Caroline Wozniacki. Do I expect Christina to beat Caroline again? Honestly, no. But what is more important is that I would not be surprised if she does. Caroline should win this match. If she is serious about winning the US Open, and removing the albatross of being #1 without a Slam from around her neck, then Caroline must get her confidence up going into New York. Losing early in three straight summer hardcourt events won’t do that. If Christina wins, she would have a real chance to win the New Haven event. Considering where she is ranked now and at the beginning of the year, that would be tremendous.

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #29

Christina McHale was featured on the local New Haven news...video is here: Rising American Star Christina McHale Climbing WTA Rankings Fairways And Forehands

Hope this is the start of something big

---Bruce Lee

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #30

videos of my blog (including Rory McIlroy, Caroline's boyfriend): Li Na Reaches Semifinals Of 2011 New Haven Open At Yale; Caroline Wozniacki Wins Rematch With Christina McHale Fairways And Forehands

Li Na

Two players who need to tune up their games going into the US Open continue to build momentum at the 2011 New Haven Open at Yale. Li Na hasn’t quite been the same player since her win at Roland Garros. In some ways that is understandable considering all the media and sponsor obligations since her historic Major triumph. That said, she really needs to be on her game at this moment because she is at her best on hardcourts. She can win the US Open, if her game is rolling. She had quite a tussle in the New Haven quarterfinals with Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova. Although she won the first set 6-4, Li was spraying unforced errors, which eventually cost her in the second set. But Li Na pulled things together to finally close out Anastasia, 6-4 3-6 6-2.

Caroline Wozniacki participating in Pink Ribbon Run at New Haven

Caroline Wozniacki also could use a hardcourt win going into the US Open. This is the place to get it. Caroline has yet to lose a match in her career at New Haven. Maybe if they moved the US Open to Yale Caroline would be a shoe-in to win her first Major. You have to think Wozniacki heard the talk about her rematch with Christina McHale, the rising young American star. But if she was looking to roll through Christina, that didn’t happen in the first set, a tough 7-5 win for Caroline. McHale made her work for it. But once that first set was in the bag, as happens often the lower ranked player lost her way a bit. McHale went from 68% first serve percentage in the opening set to a paltry 35% in what would be the final set as Caroline prevailed 6-3. You can’t beat Wozniacki serving like that. Still, McHale is a player to watch. Her future is bright.

Singles – Quarterfinals
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. (WC) Christina McHale (USA) 75 63
(2/WC) Li Na (CHN) d. (8) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) 64 36 62
(3) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) w/o (right knee injury)
(Q) Petra Cetkovska (CZE) d. (4/WC) Marion Bartoli (FRA) 75 75

---Bruce Lee