Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #31

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
Amazing coverage BKB...thank you very much. I started following the team earlier this summer and my buddies at work were giving me crap for being such a geek, talking about Hope Solo, etc.,. You better believe I'll be in some people's faces when I get to work Monday morning!
Something tells me they'll be hopping on the bandwagon Monday morning!

By the way...in the interest of giving a nod to another team...congratulations also to Japan for knocking out Germany the day before the USA-Brazil game. I don't know who to root for in the Japan-Sweden semifinal. I guess it depends on what the USA does in its game against France. If we win, I want another crack at Sweden in the final. If we lose, then I want Japan to win it all. Plus, we would get Sweden in the third place game. But we didn't come here for that.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 07-10-2011 at 11:17 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #32

Interviews with Abby and Coach Pia Sundhage

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #33

Great performance by the Yanks.

Deserved win,too,as neither Brazilian goal was (particularly) legitimate.The re-taken penalty for encroachment was incredibly harsh,the American defender was only a step or two inside the area when the original kick was taken.Technically,it was the correct decision,but it happens on every penalty kick and rarely gets punished.

Brazil's second goal was offside,too.

Terrible goalkeeping for your late equaliser,though.The keeper saw it coming all the way,and instead of being decisive,and punching it clear,even if it meant taking out her own defender and the American forward,she flaps at it like a big tart and completely misses it.

Great win.

Of course,I'll be rooting for France,and cute,black girl with dreadlocks,in the semi...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #34

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
Good points, SJX. Particularly agree with the abysmal keeping on USA second goal. Nowhere near the ball, maybe trying for a foul?

IMO, usually there are multiple players encroaching the area at the corners of the box on penalties. Perhaps the appearance of the lone defender breaking the plane made it easier to see.

Also agree France should not be discounted. Les bleues femmes have played very well and will not be in awe of their opponents. Can Japan strike a huge blow for national pride which is surely deserved?
I don't know what the Brazilian goalie was thinking.It was a very timid attempt at a clearance ;her own defender might have put her off a bit,but she should have just gone straight through her to clear that ball.

Mind you,I'm surprised that referee didn't award a goal-kick...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #35

bkb - great photos from you. really enjoy all your postings. is it work or hobby?
asitlies
asitlies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #36

Originally Posted by asitlies3 View Post
bkb - great photos from you. really enjoy all your postings. is it work or hobby?
asitlies
Thanks! Just a hobby...and blogging primarily about tennis and the LPGA, in addition to some extra subjects like the World Cup, is a really fun hobby...at least to me...

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #37

Ok...time for the USA WNT to put the Brazil game behind them and concentrate on France.

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #38

After such a stirring victory over Brazil, the United States Women’s National Team cannot let up. Just as the 1980 USA Hockey team still had to beat Finland in the gold medal game after beating the Russians, this team has to still play after their signature win.

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #39

more pics here: United States Beats France, Moves On To Women’s World Cup Final Fairways And Forehands

Abby Wambach

The United States Women’s National Team came to Germany with one goal – win the Women’s World Cup. Nothing less will be seen as success. After beating France 3-1, the American team will get their chance to realize their ambition against Japan in the final. In the wake of their breathtaking victory against Brazil in the quarterfinals, backing it up by rising to the challenge when needed against France, the Women’s National Team has morphed from a niche interest to national heroes.

Lauren Cheney scores first goal

There was some concern that Team USA might either have an emotional letdown after their stirring win against Brazil or simply be exhausted from the long match. While fatigue was likely to show late in the match, any notion of an emotional letdown was dispelled early when Carli Lloyd sent a deft back heel pass to Heather O’Reilly down the left side. O’Reilly centered to Lauren Cheney who sent a left footed shot to the far post and in for quick goal in the 9th minute to give the American side a 1-0 early advantage.

Sonia Bompastor

France was getting chances on goal in the first half, but USA goaltender Hope Solo was up to the challenge. The star American net-minder had several good saves, including a tip over the crossbar on an attempt by France’s Louisa Necib in the 7th minute and deflecting a shot from just outside the box on the near post side by Gaetane Thiney. But in the second half, the usually sure footed Solo had a few lapses. In the 55th minute, Sonia Bompastor, who had been unlucky in the first half on a shot that hit the crossbar, floated in a long range shot past the American goaltender to level the score 1-1. There was a crossing player for France that looked to have a shot at a header on Bompastor’s shot. That might have been why Solo had to hold her line. By the time she moved left to the far post, it was too late.

France had tasted success and they wanted more. They attacked and outplayed Team USA for the first two thirds of the second half. The pressure was on the Americans and their goaltender. Hope Solo even gave the ball up in her own box and nearly paid for it. But she is now 94-6 in 100 caps, with 55 shutouts. That didn’t happen by accident. The US defense stiffened and Solo was good enough for long enough until the magic struck again.

Wambach scores...US leads 2-1

It would be their superstar Abby Wambach, the hero of the Brazil game, that again would shine brightly for the US squad. On a corner kick in the 79th minute, Lauren Cheney floated a ball to the back post where Wambach soared over the French defenders to score on a header, electrifying American fans around the world and shocking Les Bleus.

Alex Morgan

Stunned and reeling after dominating most of the second half, the French team let young American star Alex Morgan charge the box on the left side right past four French defenders to score another goal just three minutes after Wambach’s to seal the deal in the 82nd minute for the United States at 3-1. The 22 year old Morgan looks to be a star for a couple more World Cups. But that is a discussion for the future. Today, the United States is on their way to their third Women’s World Cup final with only one goal. Win it all.

Hope Solo

Abby Wambach

Alex Morgan

Lauren Cheney

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #40

Probably most were unknown to the non-soccer world prior to their match against Brazil, even Hope Solo. Now they are growing stars. Everybody loves a winner. If they defeat Japan in the final of the 2011 Women’s World Cup, the will be icons.

---Bruce Lee