Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #11

I doubt I'll be disappointed since I'll be too busy celebrating the U.S. win!

Goaltender Hope Solo on the far left

Along with tennis players Li Na (center) and Maria Sharapova (second from right), also featured are my favorite soccer player, goaltender Hope Solo, USA track and field Olympian Allyson Felix, Algerian- French dancer Sofia Boutella, British hurdler Perri Shakes-Drayton and Australian surfer Laura Enever.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 06-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #12

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
For anyone who bothered to watch the entire sad display, YES, that was the death of the Canadian Women's team for a generation.
In all seriousness, I was hoping for the Canadian team to advance...if not a U.S. win, I would pull for Canada...

Get to know the youngest player on the U.S. Squad...Alex Morgan...

Alex Morgan

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #13

...very serious that I would have rooted for Canada if the USA had faltered early...although I joke about already celebrating a USA World Cup championship victory...but now, I guess it's USA or nothing...but for now...Team USA moves on to the quarterfinals...

Heather O'Reilly

Megan Rapinoe

Carli Lloyd

Hope Solo

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #14
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
You did it again BKB. You got me hooked on the Women s World Cup. I watched the USA yesterday and indeed they have a powerful team. Colombia was no match against them, they made costly defensive errors and have a terrible goalie.

As in most sports competitions the Cup includes the "elite" teams (about 8 teams) with the USA at the top and the weak teams that are included in the competition to fill in the 16 spots.

Unlike the LPGA, there is no one in FIFA stupid enough to think of reducing the number of teams to showcase only the best.

The top teams are France, Germany, Japan (very strong), England (just so-so), Sweden, Brazil, Norway and the USA.

The USA plays Sweden next and has to win to avoid Brazil in the first game of the second stage. I will be rooting for the USA (The other teams from North America: Canada is out and Mexico needs a miracle to qualify for the second stage) and the very impressive goalie Hope Solo.
Please, keep coming with your comments, photos and videos.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #15

We certainly don't want Brazil up next after Sweden...but then again, if we do what we have to do and they do what they have to do...we will meet soon enough...of course, anything can happen in the single elimination rounds...might not be the USA or Brazil standing at the end...

...here are the three goal scorers for the USA in the Colombia match discussing the game...

...Brazil handles Norway...sorry, Suzann...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 07-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #16

Team USA arrives in Wolfsburg ahead of their match with Sweden

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
Elf

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby
Team USA arrives in Wolfsburg ahead of their match with Sweden
The game is tomorrow at 2.45 PM EST. If the USA wins or ties, they will play the next game (quater final) against either Australia or Norway. If they lose they go against Brazil, which would mean one of the top teams in the Cup would be out early. If the USA wins or ties, Brazil and the USA can only play at the finals if both teams make it. Good game to watch tomorrow. Huge crowd that is always fun to watch because the clothing, make up, and cheering.

Last edited by Elf; 07-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #18

Start a new scorless streak against Brazil, Hope!

OK, we do this the hard way then. No worries about Sweden...would love to face them down the line again...no fear there...we made some mistakes and had chances...unfortunately the guy who was posting highlight videos of gameplay was terminated on YouTube due to FIFA complaints...my experience with YouTube is that some organizations, like the WTA, don't have a problem with video footage...others, like FIFA, do...no problem...ussoccer.com is still posting videos so as soon as they have reaction videos from the players I will post them here...those come right from our national team...

---Bruce Lee

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #19
Elf

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Start a new scoreless streak against Brazil, Hope!
Today the USA, ranked first in the world, had a bad day and lost 2-1: Very limited and weak defense that made many mistakes and a disorganized front group. Sweden contolled the game and had opportunity to show their abilites at dancing "Moussier Tombola’s Logobitombo" to celebrate two goals that where mostly due to USA errors and not to Sweden's ability.

Next game is against Brazil who used the first stage as practice (the team had very limited pre tournament games). They can be beaten, but the USA has to play much better and find a way to control Marta, probably the best player in the world, who BTW plays in the USA.

England and Germany are stronger every game and the Cup finals could be decided between European teams.

FIFA.com - FIFA Women's World Cup: Sweden - USA
Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #20

I definitely know Brazil will be tough, but possible, to get by...I guess I'm still focused on Sweden because they celebrated like they won the Cup...especially considering they scored on a penalty kick and free kick, the latter of which bounced off a USA player and redirected into the net after Hope Solo was heading toward the initially trajectory...

...they also spoke of Hope being "afraid"...I doubt that...so I would LOVE to get another crack at them...I bet most of the Team USA players would...but that's all moot if we don't handle our business...

...I know this is a cliche...but if want to win the Cup there was a strong likelihood we would have to take on Brazil at some point...I feel like Team USA is not there to finish second...it's win or nothing...so bring 'em on...if we play well enough to win, great...if not, we don't deserve to win...I wish the Brazil game was right now as I'm typing...let's go...bring it...that's my feeling...following a loss I want to get right back in there...when you get knocked down...you gotta get back up...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 07-07-2011 at 01:14 AM.