Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

View Poll Results: Who Will Win The 2011 Australian Open Women's Singles Title?
Caroline Wozniacki 1 14.29%
Vera Zvonareva 0 0%
Kim Clijsters 5 71.43%
Venus Williams 0 0%
Samantha Stosur 0 0%
Li Na 0 0%
Jarmila Groth 0 0%
Jelena Jankovic 0 0%
Other 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

2011 Australian Open

Ok, I know a lot of people here are not really into tennis (although a few are), but hey, there's no LPGA action for a little while sooooooooooo...why not tune in to the Grand Slam of the Asia-Pacific (as the Aussie Open likes to bill itself)?

Of course, you know I'll be posting about this tournament on my blog. Here are some recent entries just to get you up to speed with some of the pre-tournament events. Most of my tennis postings will be on the WTA. Initially, I thought I would cover both the ATP and WTA, as I follow both. But with the LPGA, KLPGA and JLPGA coming up, I just don't have time to post a lot of ATP entries. But I will pepper some in sporadically through the year. Unlike golf, I follow both tours in tennis. In golf, I only really follow the ladies.

A big, big, big...well, you get the point...story on the men's side is that Rafael Nadal is going for the "Rafa Slam". Not a true calendar year Grand Slam, Rafa is going for his fourth straight Grand Slam win, following the 2010 Roland Garros (French Open), 2010 Wimbledon and 2010 US Open. Will he get it? Will Roger or Novak trip him up? Will Andy Murray or Andy Roddick surge to the title?

Some of the top stars on tour came together to create the Rally For Relief. This was to benefit the victims of the devastating flooding in Queensland.

YOU CAN CLICK EACH PICTURE FOR MY BLOG ENTRIES, MOST OF WHICH INCLUDE VIDEO AND IMAGES.

Rally For Relief

Kim Clijsters Media Conference

Rafael Nadal Media Conference

Maria Sharapova Australian Open Dress Launch

Ana Ivanovic Adidas Tennis Clinic In Melbourne

Caroline Wozniacki Training Session and Taste of Tennis

Maria Sharapova Media Conference

And just some of my thoughts on possible first round upsets

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-16-2011 at 03:09 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Here are a couple more...I didn't realize I post this much!

Ana Ivanovic Filming Special for Australian TV

Venus Williams Reception at the Olsen Hotel in Melbourne

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Ana Ivanovich trying on shoes.

Ana Ivanovich jumping in a swimming pool.

I watched both more than once.

I'll be rooting for her,of course.

I'd like Gael Monfils to win the men's.He doesn't have a great record against the very best,though.He'll be fine until he comes up against the likes of Nadal,Söderling or Murray.

Hugely entertaining to watch...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

Is this "butt scratcher" guy still Numero Uno?

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Is this "butt scratcher" guy still Numero Uno?

He's #1 with the ladies!

video: YouTube - Rafa signing a bra

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Ana Ivanovich trying on shoes.

Ana Ivanovich jumping in a swimming pool.

I watched both more than once.

I'll be rooting for her,of course.

I'd like Gael Monfils to win the men's.He doesn't have a great record against the very best,though.He'll be fine until he comes up against the likes of Nadal,Söderling or Murray.

Hugely entertaining to watch...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Monfils is a tremendous athletic talent...Jim Courier thinks he is the best athlete on tour...a win at Roland Garros would send French fans into heaven...

...Ana...she was playing well at Hopman Cup until she suffered an abdomen injury...she did lose a match to Justine Henin at Hopman, but that's nothing to be ashamed of...

...it wasn't until after I set up the poll that I realized I didn't give Justine Henin her own option...but my guess is that the other vote up there is for Justine maybe...or maybe a hopeful vote for Ana?

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-16-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Monfils is a tremendous athletic talent...Jim Courier thinks he is the best athlete on tour...a win at Roland Garros would send French fans into heaven...
He's the natural heir to Henri Leconte.

...Ana...she was playing well at Hopman Cup until she suffered an abdomen injury...she did lose a match to Justine Henin at Hopman, but that's nothing to be ashamed of...
The alarm bells go off when Ana withdraws due to injury.

She's almost as fragile as she's beautiful.

She's got a tricky opener against a big Russian girl,Ekaterina Makarova,too.

...it wasn't until after I set up the poll that I realized I didn't give Justine Henin her own option...but my guess is that the other vote up there is for Justine maybe...or maybe a hopeful vote for Ana?
You were right with the second guess...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
The alarm bells go off when Ana withdraws due to injury.

She's almost as fragile as she's beautiful.

She's got a tricky opener against a big Russian girl,Ekaterina Makarova,too.

You were right with the second guess...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X

Indeed, it was not to be...she fought valiantly...I give her credit...but missing training time due to that injury might have had an effect on her preparation...nonetheless...she's gone already...3-6 6-4 10-8...

...in a shocker of a different sort...Kim Clijsters opened her title quest by embarrassing former #1 Dinara Safina 6-0 6-0...it was the first time a former #1 has suffered a double bagel in a Grand Slam during the Open era...but still...as I warn on my blog...I've seen Kim be brilliant and then throw in a clunker...like last year when Petrova nearly dropped a double bagel on Kim...

Australian Open Day 2: Clijsters Obliterates Safina; Zvonareva, Stosur, Jankovic Advance; Ivanovic Upset In Heartbreaker Fairways And Forehands

---Bruce Lee

Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #9

Indeed, it was not to be...she fought valiantly...I give her credit...but missing training time due to that injury might have had an effect on her preparation...nonetheless...she's gone already...3-6 6-4 10-8...

...in a shocker of a different sort...Kim Clijsters opened her title quest by embarrassing former #1 Dinara Safina 6-0 6-0...it was the first time a former #1 has suffered a double bagel in a Grand Slam during the Open era...but still...as I warn on my blog...I've seen Kim be brilliant and then throw in a clunker...like last year when Petrova nearly dropped a double bagel on Kim...

Australian Open Day 2: Clijsters Obliterates Safina; Zvonareva, Stosur, Jankovic Advance; Ivanovic Upset In Heartbreaker Fairways And Forehands
If a top seed (-ish) was going home after the first round,all the smart money would be on the fragrant Serb.

Her preparation was,no doubt,hindered by the recent abdominal injury,but these early exits happen all too often with Ana.

I'm not shocked,Makarova is no mug ;but going out first time up,however valiantly,is just piss-poor.

Damn,who can I root for now ?

Kim Clijsters made a pretty emphatic statement.I thought Safina might give her a good game,perhaps even steal a set.

Yep,that didn't quite happen...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #10

Got a question for you SJX...actually anybody can answer, of course...I'm just curious about a golf fan's perspective...I was thinking about a blog entry I'll probably do tomorrow laying out why Grand Slam titles means so much in tennis...and why the fact that Dinara Safina, Jelena Jankovic and now Caroline Wozniacki being ranked #1 without one is such a huge hole in their resumes...

...obviously Majors matter in golf...and Tiger's quest to break Jack's record has received more publicity than I can measure...but it seems to me, Slams/Majors attach themselves to tennis players more than golfers in most cases...not all, but most...but is that just my tennis persepective talking...

...here's what I mean...in media articles...and even when I blog...references to players are often attached to Slam/Major titles...for example, today I was reading about Clijsters' whitewash of Safina and articles would refer to Clijsters as US Open champion Clijsters or three-time US Open champion Clijsters...if you are a great tennis champion it seems that the first thing mentioned in your resume is the specific number of Slams, or specific number of an individual Slam...

...it just feels like when I read about golf, that is sometimes but often not, the first thing they mention...it seems like maybe Player of the Year is just as important in golf as Majors...that the number of POY awards...or if you are the current, reigning POY is just as important as Majors...maybe I'm wrong...tell me if I am...

...I have a theory about it...I think even if you are the best or one of the best players in the world...it is tougher to win Majors in golf...this year in the LPGA we were spoiled by having top of the heap players win...Tseng, Kerr, Creamer...all aces...but golf gets a lot of good...maybe even great...players win Majors but not always best of the best types like we had in 2010 on the LPGA...but tennis...the Williams sisters have dominated Wimbledon...Serena was the two-time Aussie champ...Clijsters is the two-time defending US Open champ and has won it the last three times she played...occassionally you get a Francesca Schiavone winning the French...but the French can be a guessing game some years, but even there dominant players like Justin Henin and Rafael Nadal have locked the title down at times...

...but in LPGA Majors you get a lot of Inbee Parks and Eun Hee Jis...even Anna Nordqvist...all great players...not the very best of the best...while Paula took a long time to win a Major...Ai Miyazato is still waiting...Na Yeon Choi is great but who knows when a Major will come her way...an all-time great like Judy Rankin never won a Major...Yani Tseng already has as many Majors as Nancy Lopez who had an amazing career...

...so would I be correct in saying that in golf, POY is just as important...maybe even more important...than Major totals when separating the best players from the best of the best players?

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-19-2011 at 12:22 AM.