Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

View Poll Results: Who Will Win The 2011 Australian Open Women's Singles Title?
Caroline Wozniacki 1 14.29%
Vera Zvonareva 0 0%
Kim Clijsters 5 71.43%
Venus Williams 0 0%
Samantha Stosur 0 0%
Li Na 0 0%
Jarmila Groth 0 0%
Jelena Jankovic 0 0%
Other 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #11

Phew !! Bobby,that's a lot to get one's head around.

I think a player is defined by the number of Majors/Slams they win.I don't think any player,golf or tennis,would trade a Major/Slam victory for a POY award ;at least,I hope they wouldn't.

A golfer could go to their grave haunted by a missed putt that cost them a Major many years' earlier.I doubt anyone goes to their grave regretting only finishing runner-up in the POY rankings.You get a Major on your resumé,you've reached the pinnacle.POY is nice,but in terms of legacy,you'd rather win the Open.

So,if the perception has taken hold that being the LPGA POY is equivalent,has more caché,or is somehow more of a career milestone than winning a Major championship,there's something very wrong with how that perception was allowed to manifest itself.

We separate the best from the next-best by how many titles - in team sports that would be championships,in individual sports it would be majors and slams - they win.

That's how it should be.

And,of course,to throw a contentious bone out there.The xenophobia which is present in women's golf isn't there in tennis.Tennis fans have their favourites,but champions tend to be universally lauded.

That doesn't happen in women's golf.There are plenty in the galleries,the audience and the media who would just as soon forget 'certain types' ever won a Major than celebrate it.That doesn't diminish the achievement,but it can diminish the perception of how great that achievement is.

Couple of unrelated items : Tennis really knows how to make these tournaments stand out,don't they ? You're aware that it's something big.You don't have to be a huge fan to recognise that this event really means something.

Oh,and Kia are all over this,too.They are getting behind sport in a big way.

P.S..Do not,under any circumstances,link to a certain Kia commercial...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
NTB

Fellows I try but can't seem to get my small brain wrapped around tennis.
The wta does have some of the most beautiful ladies you could look at.
They seem to be in much better physical shape then the ladies on the LPGA,
Suzaan Pettersen may be an exception. Wta dress code makes even my old
heart beat quicker still I watch for awhile then move on to something else.
I also have to turn the sound down because of the loud screaming when they
hit.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
...it just feels like when I read about golf, that is sometimes but often not, the first thing they mention...it seems like maybe Player of the Year is just as important in golf as Majors...that the number of POY awards...or if you are the current, reigning POY is just as important as Majors...maybe I'm wrong...tell me if I am...
Majors are the thing in Golf. Especially the US Open and Masters in this country. POY is secondary. Guys like Tiger, Jack, Phil gear their year to the majors.

Problem in the LPGA is that the Majors do not have a major feel like they do in the PGA, Except for the US Open.

Fans also are not that concerned about POY.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #14

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Majors are the thing in Golf. Especially the US Open and Masters in this country. POY is secondary. Guys like Tiger, Jack, Phil gear their year to the majors.

Problem in the LPGA is that the Majors do not have a major feel like they do in the PGA, Except for the US Open.

Fans also are not that concerned about POY.
Interesting replies from all...let me address this comment...so what you are saying is that maybe I just don't feel the importance of Majors for the women because for whatever reason the LPGA Majors don't have that same feel as the PGA and...as SJX said, the tennis Majors...both of which have a lot of pomp and circumstance surrounding them...the LPGA Majors are equally as important as any other organization's Majors...but are conducted in a more low-key fashion in comparison to the PGA...or tennis, where Slams combine men and women and are a huge celebration...

...does it also hurt the perception of LPGA Majors being less immediate than the PGA or tennis that the US Open really stands out while maybe one or two of the others are seen, by some, as weaker...I've even read forum discussions about replacing the British or KNC as Majors...

...speaking of tennis...no Major upsets on Day 3...yes, Bartoli, Kanepi and Wickmayer fell...but I didn't really see any of them as contenders...the big names all advanced...Wozniacki, Venus, Justine, Sharapova, Li, Schiavone...

...here are some Australian Open fans giving their predictions on who will win...two names stand out...

Australian Open Fans Predict Women’s Winner Fairways And Forehands

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-19-2011 at 12:19 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #15

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
Fellows I try but can't seem to get my small brain wrapped around tennis.
The wta does have some of the most beautiful ladies you could look at.
They seem to be in much better physical shape then the ladies on the LPGA,
Suzaan Pettersen may be an exception. Wta dress code makes even my old
heart beat quicker still I watch for awhile then move on to something else.
I also have to turn the sound down because of the loud screaming when they
hit.
The reason they are in better physical shape is because they are athletes.

Golfers,of both sexes,with a few exceptions,aren't.

Fat people can play golf competitively.

It was amusing during the season opening event on the PGA Tour when the commentators were talking up the fitness levels of the modern player.The two names at the top of the leaderboard were Robert Garrigus and Carl Petterson.

I lol'd.

I quite like the grunting,too...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #16

Another cool topic to discuss...this board is amazing with such awesome people who are in touch womens sports...LPGA in particular. Being a conservative 51-year-old male, my inclination is to agree that the LPGA just doesn't seem to have the rich heritage steeped in the game like mens pro golf. The majors are predicated on history and tradition and what does the LPGA have to offer? - various women jumping in a pond!

Also, referencing the womens tennis majors on tv, quite often we see the historical footage of Suzanne Lenglen, or the great Billie Jean King or Virginia Wade, etc.. This lends true historical point-of-reference for the viewers. Now, would we see this kind of coverage if these events weren't combined with the men's play?
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #17

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
The reason they are in better physical shape is because they are athletes.

Golfers,of both sexes,with a few exceptions,aren't.

Fat people can play golf competitively.

It was amusing during the season opening event on the PGA Tour when the commentators were talking up the fitness levels of the modern player.The two names at the top of the leaderboard were Robert Garrigus and Carl Petterson.

I lol'd.

I quite like the grunting,too...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Agreed. What strikes me as impressive about professional golfers is their ability to mentally focus on their technique for hours on three or four consecutive days. What I mean is...let's say Paula Creamer wins a tournament by four strokes...and she starts Sunday with a four stroke lead and is never challenged...let's say she finishes 4-under par overall and second place Suzann Pettersen is at even par...you would read headlines and stories on Monday about how Creamer cruised to a 4 shot win...but really the difference between 1st and 2nd is so small...you're talking 284 strokes over four days against 288...so little divides players in golf...you can't blink on one hole or your chances of winning might be over...of course, everybody has bogeys and loose shots...but looking back, I have to think the top players curse 1 missed putt here...a pulled drive there...because the margin between winning and losing is sometimes less than 1%...if you're talking about a one stroke victory over four days...that ability to focus mentally is what impresses me most about golfers who are consistently able to be top 20-30 type players year after year...because the drop from 30th to Q-school...to club pro...can happen...

...I'm not sure who would be a good professional tennis player...not somebody who just likes to play...Suzann is in shape and is strong...but the one thing I don't know is can she run...you have to be able to move in tennis today...really since the early 80s, I'd say...maybe before the 80s Martina Navratilova could be a little pudgy...but not since she and others, like Ivan Lendl, took fitness seriously...that also coincided with advancements in racket technology which has made the combination of speed and power in the game unlike anything the historical greats dealt with...all of the great players today can move quickly on court...Serena, Venus, Justine, Wozniacki, Clijsters...no matter how big and strong you are, if you can't move over the course of three sets or potentially five for men in Slams, then you can't win...but you can't be a 100 meter dash type...you need to be a 400 meter type...with a mix of speed and endurance...Steffi Graf actually ran the 400 meter...and she had that great movement...using her speed to continually run around her backhand and set up that devastating forehand...once a player starts to lose a step, whether due to injury or age, you generally start to see them drop down the rankings...so I'm not sure which players have the speed, endurance and movement on the LPGA that would translate to tennis...maybe Suzann...but I also think maybe Yani...strong, athletic...maybe Michelle, too...a lot of the tennis stars now are getting taller and stronger...Venus is 6'1"...Sharapova is 6'2"...Safina is 6'1"...there are a lot of players hovering in the 5'11" area like Victoria Azarenka and the retired Elena Dementieva...but it's not enough to be tall and strong...Anna Nordqvist is tall and strong...but no offense, she's not in the kind of shape Elena Dementieva was in as a player...you have to be a complete athlete today in tennis...the pro game has too much speed and power not to be...which is what makes how Roger Federer at times makes it look so easy an impressive feat...it's not easy...he has trained his you know what off to make it look that easy...

...you also have to be flexible and able to play shots on different planes...to play shots over your head...at shoulder height...at your knees or off your ankles...a lot of the players, like Clijsters and Jankovic, employ split type slides to handle shots on low planes that they have to chase down...

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
Sorry I am late to this party but most of my points have been made. The one new one is there is no legacy for womens' golf majors like PGA and tennis. The Masters doesn't move. Augusta National is known for one event. Same for the treacherous surface of Roland Garros. Berries and cream at Wimbledon. The spectacle in Flushing. That, IMO, is the lineage that ties all the performances at those events together.

Yes the British Open and US Open move venues but they are always storied courses. But so do the Ricoh and USWO you say? True, but the mens' Opens have one thing that creates a universal interest that the womens' do not. Big, big money. A seven-figure winner's purse will always draw a buzz, no matter where it is. Last year's USWO at Oakmont was a step in the right direction. That place would give me nightmares. A British Open winner, male or female, is always remembered and mentioned. But none more than when they win at St. Andrews.

It is the venue that makes the true majors so big.
Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Yes, even with moving sites...anybody who knows golf knows what event I'm talking about if I talk about Lorena's win on the Old Course at St Andrews...or how they might have tried to Tiger-proof Augusta...

...similarly...anybody who knows tennis...well...Wimbledon...I mean, come on...everybody who knows tennis...and many who don't...knows what Wimbledon references...

Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
Another cool topic to discuss...this board is amazing with such awesome people who are in touch womens sports...LPGA in particular. Being a conservative 51-year-old male, my inclination is to agree that the LPGA just doesn't seem to have the rich heritage steeped in the game like mens pro golf. The majors are predicated on history and tradition and what does the LPGA have to offer? - various women jumping in a pond!

Also, referencing the womens tennis majors on tv, quite often we see the historical footage of Suzanne Lenglen, or the great Billie Jean King or Virginia Wade, etc.. This lends true historical point-of-reference for the viewers. Now, would we see this kind of coverage if these events weren't combined with the men's play?
Interesting...so is the Founder's Cup a good idea in terms of trying to have the LPGA be more in touch with its history...if it had a regular tournament compensation structure?

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-20-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #18
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
There are many sports and they may require differnet types of bodies, training, and mentalities. Female gym world champions have nothing do to with tennis players or swimming champions. Great horse jockeys have nothing to do with Polo players and horse jumping Champions. Comparing Tennis players and golfers is farfetched. It sound like comparing Ali (the great boxing grreatchampion at 220 plus pounds) with Maradona (The great soccer start at 5"7 and 155 pounds). Tennis and Golf require very different qualities. Perhaps the only that had both for tennis and golf was the great Althea Gibson.

Last edited by Elf; 01-20-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #19

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
There are many sports and they may require differnet types of bodies, training, and mentalities. Female gym world champions had nothing do to with tennis players or swimming champions. Great horse jockeys
That's true...but the genesis of my comparison was the statement SJX made that golfers are, with some exceptions, not athletes...when compared by NTB to tennis players...but the same is true for gymnasts or swimmers...don't know how many LPGA players are in world class shape enough to be top gymnasts or swimmers, based on what is needed to be an elite champion in those sports...but LPGA players are incredibly strong mentally...

...but really it's not a question of body type for this discussion...what I'm talking about is are they in shape enough...do they have the speed, endurance, flexibilty and power to translate to any sport that requires those attributes...tennis was just this specific comparison...some might be able to translate their athleticism to other sports...Annika...Suzann...Yani...Michelle...

...could Ai Miyazato's athleticism translate to figure skating? Maybe.

...but since NTB made the comparison between LPGA players and WTA players...that's who I compared...and as a whole I think WTA players are in better athletic shape...but I do think players on the LPGA take fitness training more seriously now than maybe some generations before...gosh, I hate mentioning any specific names...but Jiyai Shin, whom I LOVE...is ranked #1 in the world...no way she'd be able to be an elite pro tennis player...Laura Davies, whom I also LOVE...went into the Dubai tournament with an outside shot at catching Lee-Ann Pace for the money title...Laura Davies could not make any money as a pro tennis player...Sun Ju Ahn of Korea was JLPGA POY...she's overweight as well, but dominated that tour this year, in her first year on the Japanese tour...but in golf they can be out of shape and still hugely successful...I'm glad that comparison is over...I really adore all of those players...I just was trying to illustrate what I and SJX mean...presuming that SJX would agree with that comparison...

...but I think at the end of the day, SJX is right...there are golfers, male and female, who are not in great shape, with some who are plain out of shape, who can compete in golf on a world class level but would have problems in any sport at a world class level where you have to be a true athlete...

...that doesn't make tennis or any other sport better than golf...that's a matter of personal preference...I love the LPGA...it's wonderful and the players are wonderful...and most are in shape when compared to most of us...it's only when I compare them to other elite athletes that they might come up short...but most are in good shape...don't take my posts to mean ALL LPGA players are out of shape...that's simply false...most are in good shape...but there are some on just about every golf tour I can think of that demonstrate that you can be out of shape and still have success in pro golf...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 01-20-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #20

One last athleticism post...I almost want to go back and delete my posts...just because I love the LPGA, KLPGA, JLPGA and am starting to follow the LET more closely...I have tremendous respect for pro golfers on those tours...I know it's sounds like I came down on them...but I was just expressing my honest opinion...doesn't mean I'm right...and even if I am, it doesn't mean I don't have great respect for those great players on those tours...

---Bruce Lee