Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

2010 WTA Tour Championships

I will get to the matches in a bit...but first I salute Elena Dementieva, who at 29, has decided to retire from the WTA...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

The Final Four

Caroline Wozniacki, Samantha Stosur, Kim Clijsters, Vera Zvonareva

The first part of the WTA Tour Championship is a round robin type format, so you can lose and make the semifinals depending on how others do...the above four have advanced to the semifinals...

Even if she loses, Caroline Wozniacki has guaranteed, despite never winning a Major (and not even reaching any of the Major finals this year), to finish the year as the #1 player. It's a great accomplishment, and she did win a lot this year, but she is not better than the injured Serena Williams, who won two of the three Majors she played. If Clijsters wins the Tour Championship, she will have won the US Open and the Tour Championship, which for me would also put her above Wozniacki. If Zvonareva wins, she will have reached the finals of both Wimbledon (losing to Serena) and the US Open (losing to Clijsters) plus have the Tour Championship title. That probably is not enough to put her ahead of Caroline...but the fact that it even crossed my mind is a sign of how weak I think Caroline's claim to a computer generated #1 ranking is.

However, if Caroline wins Doha (the Tour Championship site), then I will grudgingly acknowledge her as #1, even though in my mind when Serena's injuries heal it's just a matter of time before she's back at #1. I also think the streaky Kim Clijsters, who can be unbeatable one moment and an error-machine the next, if she is playing her best beats Wozniacki at her best...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 10-30-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Ah...the list no professional tennis or golf player wants to be on...

article: Elena Dementieva retires as the best player to never win a Slam - Busted Racquet - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports

Is Elena Dementieva the best female player ever without a Major? Well, she's on the list for sure...but you know, we have to put some historical perspective on this and not get too caught up in the latest person being the best to do or not do something...for example, the writer of the article mentions her flawless groundstrokes...but not her less-than-flawless serve...and for the style she plays, she needs some free points here and there, especially in a Major where eventually you will run into somebody named Williams, Henin, Clijsters, Hingis, etc over the course of her playing days...

---Bruce Lee

Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #4

...Elena jokes, "If I were a man, I'd never stop playing!"...she was being facetious but I do think she wants to start a family, even though she never says it explicitly...she is being interviewed by former Austrian tennis player Barbara Schett...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 10-30-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Caroline Wozniacki will get her chance to quiet some of the naysayers (like me) after dispatching Vera Zvonareva in the semi-finals of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Championship in Doha, 7-5 6-0. Caroline has heard the voices of those who question if she is really deserving of the #1 ranking without a Major and with Serena Williams injured. She has said all of the right things about all the matches she has won and all the titles she has in 2010. By how the computer measures rankings, she is #1. But without a Major, winning the tour championship would go a long way in muting the doubters.

I expected more from Vera Zvonareva, who beat Clijster in round robin play (although Clijsters had already guaranteed a spot in the semis and would get a better matchup by losing...I'm not saying she lost to Vera on purpose...but I'm just saying...it gave her an easier semifinal opponent). And speaking of Kim's semifinal against Samantha Stosur...

Kim went into her semi-final in a shaken state after her courtesy car was run into on the right side by a truck. Her trainer sustained minor cuts in the accident. Kim says she was still pale white before warmups for her match, still shaken.

article: Kim Clijsters in car accident at WTA Championships | WTA Womens Tennis Blog

"We just had a car accident on our way to the courts! So scary... Bob, my manager took the hit.."-Kim Clijsters, Kim Clijsters (Clijsterskim) on Twitter

...you can see the dent, the shattered passenger window and broken side mirror here: http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg529/sca...=640&ysize=640

Kimmie shook off the incident to give Stosur a crash course in championship tennis, rolling to victory after a tight first set, 7-6 6-1. This will leave us with the Wozniacki-Clijsters final many thought would happen at Flushing Meadows in the US Open until Zvonareva derailed Caroline before losing to Clijsters. So if Caroline wins, it helps her claim to the #1 ranking. If Clijsters wins, it would give her the US Open and Tour Championship titles, and many would wonder why is she ranked behind Wozniacki at the end of the year (because she doesn't play enough and the computer values quantity over quality in some scenarios). It's more important for Wozniacki to win. She has more to lose in terms of what it would mean if Clijsters beats her, has a Major and the tour championship and the most wins on tour but somehow is ranked behind her. If Clijsters loses then she can just say she lost to the #1-ranked player.

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SEMIFINALS

---Bruce Lee

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #6

Just thought I'd stick this in here...even though it's general tennis info and not pertaining to the WTA Championship...on Tuesday, the Final Jeopardy question was pertaining to Sports Venues...here is the question...

In 2000, the Center Court Arena in Melbourne, Australia was renamed for him.

here is video of the correct answer: Video: Jeopardy's final clue was about tennis stadiums - Busted Racquet - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports

I thought it was pretty easy...but then again, if you are from a younger generation and don't follow tennis, you might miss it...in fact, one of the Jeopardy players did miss it, picking a player far too young and still active...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 10-31-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #7

SECOND TO NONE!

Caroline Wozniacki will finish the year as the #1 ranked player in the world with six tournament victories, but for my money, Kim Clijsters' 5 victories which include a Major win, the US Open, and a "5th Major" win, the Tour Championship, gives her the edge over Wozniacki regardless of how the computer rewards Wozniacki's higher tournament activity. Kimmie had not played since winning the US Open the first week of September due to a foot infection. The Belgian showed her championship mettle by overcoming some shaky second set play to defeat Wozniacki, 6-3 5-7 6-3, in Doha, denying Caroline the chance to bolster her claim to the #1 ranking. Kimmie's game is naturally much, much more aggressive than Caroline's human backboard style, but it comes with high risk, high reward, and it showed in this match as Kimmie had many opportunities to win this in straight sets but had a bit of a rollercoaster ride in her level of play. Even at the end, she double faulted on her first match point. In the end, the veteran Belgian finished of the rising star to win one of the biggest tournaments of the year and continue a remarkable comeback.

Let me be clear about one thing, though. Caroline Wozniacki had a tremendous year. She is one of the best players on the WTA Tour. I just think her #1 ranking is not simply a case of her record, no matter what she, Clijsters or the fans and commentators who love her (and are not as fond of Serena) say. But even with Serena, her two Majors won this year before she was injured and missed most of the the second half of the year aside, Caroline's 2010 resume in my mind doesn't match Kim Clijsters either, who has one less victory but a Major and a "5th Major". Kim also has missed a lot of time due to injury. Even without that injury, Kim is being judicious in her playing schedule since coming back from retirement, and it shows in her results. Wozniacki has a 15-24 record against top 10 players and has never beaten Clijsters, Serena, Venus or Justine. She might want to consider not playing every little tournament on the schedule and form her schedule around preparing for the Majors and other big tournaments like the Tour Championship. But make no mistake, I think very highly of Caroline Wozniacki. She is a tremendous player, but I would rank her currently as the #3 player in the world. She is also the immediate future of the tour, as Clijsters has stated repeatedly that she will not be playing many more years and the Williams sisters head to the other side of thirty. As far as #1 for 2010, I have it a toss up between Serena and Clijsters. Some forget that Clijsters beat Serena last year en route to the US Open title and I think would have beaten her again had Serena played the event. Clijsters has won the US Open the last three times she played it and is a different animal on the blue courts of Flushing Meadow. That would have made the year come down to Doha, and I think we would have had a Serena-Kim final. The winner would have had the bragging rights for 2010...but we'll never know how that might have played out...maybe next year. Of course, Justine Henin might have something to say about it next year, too.

Let me also say that not winning a Major and being #1 is a bigger deal in tennis than golf. That Ai Miyazato was ranked #1 with no Major is far less consequential. In golf, it is so difficult to win tournaments, much less Majors. Some of the best players in LPGA history have only won a couple of Majors (Nancy Lopez-3, Joann Carner-2, Dottie Pepper-2). Judy Rankin, a great Hall of Fame player, didn't win any. But in tennis, if you are the #1 ranked player, it is expected that you should win Majors, as the best players tend to win tournaments and Majors more often than in golf, Tiger Woods not withstanding.

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FINALS

article: Clijsters tops No. 1 Wozniacki in WTA final - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports

Clijsters wins WTA Championships title

DOHA, Qatar (AP)—U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters defeated top-ranked Caroline Wozniacki 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 to win the WTA Championships final Sunday.

It is a third victory at the season-ending tournament for the 27-year-old Belgian, who was playing her first event since winning her third Grand Slam title at Flushing Meadows in September.

“It was a tough match,” Clijsters said. “It is disappointing for Caroline but she has a great future ahead. I’m glad I won and it must be disappointing for Caroline, but I don’t know how many more years I’m going to keep doing this.”

Wozniacki, 20, took over the No. 1 ranking from the injured Serena Williams this month, but was unable to back it up with a win in Doha and is also still without a Grand Slam title.

She has won the most tournaments this year—six—but seemed to crumbled in big tournaments and has a dismal career record of 15-24 against top 10 players. She has never beaten Clijsters, Justine Henin, Venus or Serena Williams.

“I’ve had a fantastic year,” Wozniacki said on Sunday. “I won six tournaments. I’ve beaten so many good players. You know, you cannot win every match. I’ve made the finals of the Championships, and I lost one match today. You know, I cannot do anything about it now. I will come back in the off season and train, but right now I’m proud of my season.”

Clijsters came to her defense, advising Wozniacki not to listen the doubters when she takes to the court in 2011.

“She will win a Grand Slam. She is too good of a player not to,” Clijsters said. “She’s young. She’s No. 1. I mean, you know, she’s too good of a player … She just has to keep working the way that she has been working. She’s been doing really good things, and the good things will keep coming then.”

Wozniacki’s shortcomings were on display Sunday when the 27-year-old Clijsters took a 2-0 lead on her way winning the first set, using a powerful forehand, well-timed backhands and her vast experience to overwhelm Wozniacki. She closed out the set by breaking Wozniacki for the third time.

The Belgian mother of one, who won the title in 2002 and 2003, went up 4-1 in the second, feasting on Wozniacki’s weak second serve and her inability to hit forehand winners. But Wozniacki fought back to tie the match at 5-5 and broke Clijsters to go up 6-5 on her way to winning the set when Clijsters hit long.

“Yeah, I think I just went behind the baseline a little bit too far. I think I let her dominate the rallies, and that was something I was doing well leading up to that point,” Clijsters said of her struggles in the second set.

“I felt that I was cutting the corners, being very aggressive, you know, making her move from side to side. And then I felt after a couple rallies, yeah, felt my legs just a little bit tired. Then you automatically become a little bit too defensive. I think that’s something that I realized, luckily, in time.”

Wozniacki came out strong in the third set, forcing No. 4-ranked Clijsters to make four unforced errors to win the first game. But Clijsters didn’t panic, settling down to go up 2-1. That prompted Wozniacki’s coach, her father Piotr, to come out and give his daughter a courtside pep talk as she rested a bag of ice on her head. It didn’t do much good.

Clijsters kept the pressure on, moving Wozniacki around the court and hitting several powerful forehands to go up 5-2. Wozniacki grabbed a game back before Clijsters won it when Wozniacki hit a return into the net.

“In the third set, you know, it was very close,” Wozniacki said. “She played really well, especially in the important moments. Definitely, the experience, you know, mattered a little bit today.”

Clijsters’ victory in the WTA’s most lucrative tournament ends a topsy-turvy week in which she arrived with lingering doubts about her physical fitness. After her second successive U.S. Open victory, she suffered a foot infection which kept her out of action for six weeks.

She didn’t show any signs of rust when she swept aside an ailing Jelena Jankovic in her opening match. But fatigue seemed to get the best of Clijsters in her loss to No. 2-ranked Vera Zvonareva Friday, after she had seen off Victoria Azarenka in a three-set match the night before that lasted well past midnight.

Then on Saturday, the car taking Clijsters to the stadium was involved in what she described as a “scary” accident. She was unhurt, while her manager suffered minor cuts, but the Belgian still came out and beat Australian Sam Stosur in her semifinal match.

---Bruce Lee