Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #1

2010 Winter Olympics Figure Skating: Yu Na Kim

...exhale... :D

...a deep breath...such anticipation...finally it has begun and Yu Na takes the early lead...but still a long way to go...Mao Asada gave a great performance as well...and Joannie...what can you say...an inspirational performance...but Yu Na and her triple-triples will be hard to beat here...we'll see...

video recap of short program: Video | Expert Analysis: Ladies' short program | NBC Olympics

...a really cool head to head video with each jump's point totals...

Yu Na Kim vs. Mao Asada, Short Program: Video | Kim Yu-Na and Mao Asada Head-to-Head | NBC Olympics

w/coach Brian Orser in the kiss and cry

lots more photos posted here:
Seoul Sisters Golf // View topic - Yu Na Kim Olympic Rooter thread

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #2

More Yuna Video...short program by itself...

Video | Kim Yu-Na leads after short | NBC Olympics

---Bruce Lee

Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #3

Man...that girl is pretty and graceful! How come I never heard of her until this Olympics?
Must be busy fooling too much around here!

The danger fooling around too much at MyLPGA.com message board.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Forum Moderator

Can someone explain why Korean names are sometimes stated like in this case as Yu Na Kim and sometimes as Kim Yu Na?

Daily Olympic Briefing, Feb. 25 - Richard Deitsch - SI.com

Yu-Na Kim Official Website

It's Kim Yuna and everyone else in women's figure skating - latimes.com
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Contest Statistician

I think the simple answer is that what we consider the first name they consider the last and vice a versa.

So when said in english it is switched around to fit into the format that we expect in the west. But sometimes they leave in the Korean order.

Thats just presentation. Though first and last are not the best way to explain them.

The names themselves are derived from family and generational rules.
I am sure that someone on here from Korea can explain how that works. Very different from the west.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #6

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I think the simple answer is that what we consider the first name they consider the last and vice a versa.

So when said in english it is switched around to fit into the format that we expect in the west. But sometimes they leave in the Korean order.

Thats just presentation. Though first and last are not the best way to explain them.

The names themselves are derived from family and generational rules.
I am sure that someone on here from Korea can explain how that works. Very different from the west.
That's right...Se Ri Pak or Pak Se-ri...sometimes I refer to Michelle Wie as Wie Sung Mi and Grace Park as Pak Ji Eun (Pak is Park)...

...but I also think that since there has never been a world class Korean figure skater before, the Kim part threw some people off...I heard a male skater talking to Yuna in an interview...he thought her first name was Kim...not knowing that is a very common Korean surname...of course us LPGA diehards know that...Mi Hyun Kim...Song Hee Kim...about a half dozen Kims...so if we saw a name like Kim Mihyun...we would know that Kim is not the first name...

...also...and I think this gets to Blue's question...unlike the LPGA...the skating media doesn't adopt one uniform way to say Yuna's name...in the US golf media, you almost never see Kim Mi-hyun...only in Asian media...we always westernize the names in golf circles...Se Ri Pak...Inbee Park...In Kyung Kim...but in skating media sometimes they do and sometimes they don't...they should probably try to pick one way and stick with it...

---Bruce Lee

Old 02-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #7

...joy...relief..bliss...tears...thank you, Yuna Kim...

...I have spent the better part of a decade plus being disappointed in the women's figure skating results...a huge Michelle Kwan fan, you know...and now to have another heavy rooting favorite...and one that crosses over into my Seoul Sister fandom...I was ready to be heartbroken again...one slip...one fall...combined with a great performance from Yuna's chief rival Asada...and it could end in disaster...there would be no joy in silver...oh, they would say there was...but there was only one mission here...bring gold back to South Korea...

...Mission Accomplished...

...hopefully will have video up in the morning...for now pictures...there are more...a whole heck of a lot more...posted here:

w/coach Brian Orser

...she has a very playful personality...

---Bruce Lee

Old 02-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

I'm not a fan of figure skating, but I have to admit that watching her last night was amazing. A wonderful performance. She was clearly the best.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #9

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
I'm not a fan of figure skating, but I have to admit that watching her last night was amazing. A wonderful performance. She was clearly the best.
Absolutely...she was flawless...of course, so many were pulling for Joannie...and that's completely understandable...but the triples that Yuna pulled off perfectly...and the grace and playfulness she puts into her program...on that night, she was untouchable...that's a remarkable achievement...so much can go wrong when you're skating on two thin strips of metal with the weight of a country on her shoulders...bravo, Yuna!

The Queen is crowned...

The Free Skate and Gold Medal Award

video: Video | Queen Yu-Na crowned: Kim wins gold | NBC Olympics

Figure Skating Recap

video:
Video | Recap: Ladies' figure skating | NBC Olympics

The Experts Talk About the Free Skate

video:
| NBC Olympics

...back in South Korea...

---Bruce Lee

Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #10

more news stories posted here:

Oh, let the celebrations begin in South Korea...when Yuna gets back home, they are going to party like it's 2099!

original link: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...117_61510.html

---Bruce Lee