Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #11

"...her rivalry with Asada is now looking as lopsided as a Pyongyang election..."

ouch!

...I will say, I had mixed emotions watching Asada on the medal stand...on the one hand I thought she appeared pouty, like she was on the verge of a temper tantrum...maybe she can go home and give herself a "platinum" medal like Plusenko...although maybe Plusenko did get hosed...a matter of opinion...but on the other hand, one can sympathize with Mao Asada...like Yuna, there was no joy in silver...how crushed would I have felt if Yuna had faltered and dropped to silver...and I'm just a fan...I'm not the one skating...

...and that is the flip side of hyping a rivalry...especially a rivalry that goes beyond two athletes and extends to a rivalry between two countries...especially during a period leading up to the March 1st Korean National Holiday honoring the heroes of the Korean resistance of Japanese colonial rule...it can make an Olympic Silver Medal...an incredible achievement...feel like a failure...

original link: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...136_61499.html

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 02-26-2010 at 10:30 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #12

I thought Kim was fantastic, the best women's free program I've seen in a long, long time. She was clearly better than Asada. Nothing wrong with Asada'a program, a couple of small mistakes is all. However, the choice of music being more dramatic made the whole seem a lot 'heavier' than Kim's - Kim floated, Asada labored.

Re Plushenko, he's a bad loser. 'Ohhh, I can do a quad axel'. So what! He may be athletic, but he has no artistry, he does not skate to the music and never has. The last minute plus of his program contained nothing, prior to that many of his jumps were off centre. After years in the sport he still hasn't realised it's about the whole and not about one jump. Now they are marking every element he's finding that out.

A quad is worth only 0.3 of a point more than a triple, is it worth potentially no points over a more certain 9.5 points?

Congratulations to Kim, I hope she continue to improve and thrill us over the next few years.

Last edited by heddwyn; 02-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #13

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
I thought Kim was fantastic, the best women's free program I've seen in a long, long time. She was clearly better than Asada. Nothing wrong with Asada'a program, a couple of small mistakes is all. However, the choice of music being more dramatic made the whole seem a lot 'heavier' than Kim's - Kim floated, Asada labored.

Re Plushenko, he's a bad loser. 'Ohhh, I can do a quad axel'. So what! He may be athletic, but he has no artistry, he does not skate to the music and never has. The last minute plus of his program contained nothing, prior to that many of his jumps were off centre. After years in the sport he still hasn't realised it's about the whole and not about one jump. Now they are marking every element he's finding that out.

A quad is worth only 0.3 of a point more than a triple, is it worth potentially no points over a more certain 9.5 points?

Congratulations to Kim, I hope she continue to improve and thrill us over the next few years.
Yes...and the one jump explanation for Plushenko also should be applied to a lot of Asada fans online who are complaining that she did a harder jump, the triple axel, than Yuna Kim...and did two of them in the FS...but Yuna's triple lutz-triple toeloop is a more difficult combination (at least graded higher) than Asada's triple axel-double toeloop...the speed that Yuna has to generate to pull off her triple-triple combination fully and cleanly is incredible...Michelle Kwan says Yuna is the fastest skater (among the ladies) that she has ever seen...combined with the height on her jumps she is just technically superior to Asada, despite the triple axel...

...and you bring up another great point...David Wilson and Brian Orser did a wonderful job...particularly in music and choreography...Asada's choice of music did nothing to delight the crowd and judges in the way Yuna's choices did...I talked to people the next day after the SP who couldn't remember Yuna's name but mentioned that they liked that "James Bond girl"...

---Bruce Lee

Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #14

...even at the HSBC event, Korean players like Hee Young Park found time to watch Yuna bring home the gold...

---Bruce Lee

Old 03-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #15

Well, come on...no wonder she's so good - she's got a Canadian coach!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #16

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Gotta love our neighbors to the north (even if they did beat us in that hockey final!)...and it was great to see Brian Orser coach Yuna to a gold after narrowly missing gold himself twice, most notably in the "Battle of the Brians"...here is a clip of Brian and Yuna talking about one another...

---Bruce Lee

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #17

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Congratulations to all those Canadian Athletes for earning the most gold and for the U.S.A for earning the most overall medals.
Those women in the Canadian Hockey Team sure know how to celebrate. It reminds me of Putter's vice ...beer and cigars! I wonder what's inside those cigars!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #18

Welcome to the site, Iceman.