Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #31

Looks like Yani is at the Open, too! The player with her is 2010 Roland Garros (French Open) finalist and 2010 Family Cup champion, Samantha Stosur from Australia.

...oh, by the way, the player with Paula Creamer in the previous pic I posted is Nicole Vaidisova...but that pic is from a few years ago...Vaidisova announced her retirement earlier this year at only 20 years old...she's now 21...so I would not rule out a return at some point if she gets the fire back...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #32

In the beginning of the tournament, the focus was that the top half of the ladies draw would be tougher, with Caroline Wozniacki and Maria Sharapova, two popular picks of the pundits, but there are two very intriguing matchups on the bottom of the draw...the comebacking Ana Ivanovic vs. defending champ Kim Clijsters, and "best to never win a Major" Elena Dementieva vs. "how did she lose Roland Garros" Samantha Stosur...

Can't wait to see these two matchups...any of those four could win the whole tournament...three months ago I would not have said that about Ivanovic, but she seems to be getting the mojo back...

Kim Clijsters

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #33

...just thought you'd like a peek at some of the other fan friendly activities around the grounds of the Open...there's a lot more than even this...concerts and contests...lots of stuff...but here are some interesting activities to keep fans engaged beyond the action on the courts...

SMASH ZONE!

FAMILY DAY

MASTER CHEF CHALLENGE (I have to go for the shrimp/talapia sandwich...but the pulled pork with rum sounds good, too!)

US OPEN 3-D EXPERIENCE

MEMBERSHIP APPRECIATION DAY (USTA Membership is actually pretty low compared to what you get for it, Tennis Magazine, special ticket offers, local league play, appreciation day which also involves a gift bag for members, etc)

AGASSI BOOK SIGNING

MEET THE BLAKES

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #34

The great matchup of former number ones during the day session turned out to be anything but great as Kim Clijsters rolled over Ana Ivanovic 6-2, 6-1.

I saw Ivanovic play over the summer and early in the Open, and she looked a lot better than she looked today. It was as if she reverted to the player whose ranking had plummeted over the last few years. Her serve was terrible, with Kim breaking her nearly at will. When she did manage to get the ball in play, Clijsters had her on her heels the whole match, using quickness to keep Ivanovic out of position.

I think the moment just got to Ivanovic. She is a much better player than she showed today. Don't get me wrong, all players have matches where they don't play to their ability. However, there was more to it than that. When Nadia Petrova was destroying Clijsters 6-0, 6-1 at the Australian Open, Clijsters kept swinging away. Annoyed, yes. Upset, yes. But she never had the look that Ivanovic had today. John McEnroe rightly said it looked like she didn't want to be out there. He also said she wasn't thinking out there. To me, she looked lost on court, like she was looking for the gift shop and somehow wandered onto the court and into a tennis match. I would like to see Ivanovic come back and be the player she once was, but she needs to work on being more confident and assertive on court. And she needs to work on her play on faster courts as well.

For Clijsters, she awaits the winner of Elena Dementieva vs. Samantha Stosur. Regardless of which player wins, Kim will have her hands full in the quarterfinals. Both Stosur and Dementieva are hungry for their first Major title and neither will be intimidated facing Clijsters.

Ivanovic Press Conference (she admits to not feeling ready for this moment but remains upbeat)

Clijsters Press Conference

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-05-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #35

Congrats to Master Chef winner, Jonathan Waxman! The US Open 2010 - Grand Slam Tennis - Official Site by IBM - News The US Open 2010 - Grand Slam Tennis - Official Site by IBM

The USTA announced today that esteemed chef Jonathan Waxman won the 2010 US Open Master Chef Charity Competition on Saturday, September 4. Waxman's Roast Chicken Panini with Basil Aioli and Greens was the best selling dish from the competition, which featured signature dishes from other top chefs including Tony Mantuano, Susan Feniger, Carmen Gonzalez and Rick Moonen. Waxman sold 385 of his paninis yesterday, and has sold 2,200 since the start of the US Open on August 30. For winning the competition, the US Open will donate $5,000 on Waxman's behalf to his chosen charity - Citymeals-on-Wheels.

A revered chef, restaurateur and author, Waxman has helmed venerable kitchens from coast to coast - from Chez Panisse in Berkeley, Calif., and Michael's in Los Angeles to New York's famous Jams in Washington Square Park. He is currently the chef and owner of Barbuto in New York's Meatpacking District, and is working on his second cookbook, which will feature his collection of recipes based on the food of Italy.

"I love to do two things: cook and watch tennis. It was an extreme pleasure to cook with my Top Chef Master pals and to watch the greatest sporting event in the U.S.," said Waxman. "Winning the contest is wonderful, but seeing Federer and Venus, coupled with hanging with the chef buddies and raising money for Citymeals-on-Wheels; that made this year's US Open a perfect event."

Waxman's chosen charity, Citymeals-on-Wheels raises private funds to ensure no homebound elderly New Yorker will ever go a day without food or human company. Last year, contributors helped bring over 2.1 million meals to more than 17,500 elderly individuals in every borough of New York. Additionally, more than 1,500 volunteers collectively spent 62,000 hours visiting and delivering meals to New York's elderly population.

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #36

Caroline Wozniacki made a statement on Labor Day, dispatching Maria Sharapova in straight sets, 6-3 6-4, and moving on to the quarterfinals of the 2010 US Open. This match is serves as a demonstration that reading into stats can be misleading if you didn't see the match. On paper, Sharapova committed 36 errors in two sets. In some matches that would indicate that one player was sloppy and the winner didn't have to play very well to win.

Au contraire.

Normally, an unforced error means that the opponent did not force you into an error by giving you a shot that was difficult to handle. An unforced error occurs when you make an errant shot on a ball that was playable. Basically, the same rule as an error in baseball. Sometimes if it's a hard hit ball or there's an odd bounce or something, the scorekeeper (especially a home scorekeeper) might not give a fielder an error if he misplays the ball. So there were a lot of shots that should have been playable by Maria but went errant.

However...

...Wozniacki was running down so many shots, getting ball after ball back no matter how hard Maria was hitting that it caused Maria to go for more on shots to hit winners. It made Maria try to do more with shots than she normally would because getting the ball past Caroline was such a difficult task. So yes, Maria was mishandling normally easy balls, and thus racking up unforced errors, but a lot of them were caused by Wozniacki's tight defense.

This was a second day of great play from the ladies following an amazing three set thriller between Samantha Stosur and Elena Dementieva. Stosur proved she will be a tough task for Kim Clijsters to deal with in the quarterfinals. Wozniacki proved she will be a tough task for everybody.

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #37
NTB

Wonder if we could get the LPGA players to dress like the tennis players.
HMMMMM,think it would help attendance.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #38

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
Wonder if we could get the LPGA players to dress like the tennis players.
HMMMMM,think it would help attendance.
In fact, after the match, Caroline had to answer a question about whether her dress is too short...there is a video of her answer here:

Caroline Wozniacki does not think her dress is too short - Busted Racquet - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports

When I worked at the USTA, I sometimes had to deal with calls from fans about dresses/skirts being too short, outfits being too revealing and/or inappropriate for tennis.

Now...I don't want to stereotype...but most of the calls were from women. And probably the majority were complaints about the Williams sisters, which I thought was unfair considering how many players wore revealing outfits.

Personally, I understand that many of these ladies have endorsement deals with apparel companies and design or help to design their own outfits. If that's what these ladies want to wear...and what needs to be covered up is covered up...then I don't have a problem with how they dress. Also, the USTA doesn't have the power to set a dress code except for events we/they run, like the US Open. The complaints came throughout the year.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-07-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #39

Fans banned after tennis brawl

Three tennis fans involved in a brawl Thursday night have been banned from attending the U.S. Open through the 2012 event.

Banned from the grounds were Joseph Pedeville, a 27-year-old who was reportedly yelling obscenities which led to an altercation with 49-year-old Tracey Falco and her 75-year-old father Lawrence Burnett. The video of the fight, which included Falco slapping Pedeville and Burnett falling down several rows of seats, was a television and Internet sensation following the Thursday night altercation.

The fight broke out in the upper deck of Arthur Ashe Stadium during a match between Novak Djokovic and Philipp Petzschner. The two stopped playing for a time before order was restored.

The New York Post said it tracked down Burnett at his home in East Stroudsburg, Pa., on Friday, where he said: "I'm in a lot of pain. I was defending my daughter. The guy is a jerk." Following the altercation, the three fans were taken to a police station in Queens, where they were given trespass warnings. The ban through Sept. 30, 2012 came on Friday.

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #40

It wasn't the most artistic tennis match you'll ever see, but Kim Clijsters overcame Sam Stosur and a swirling wind, 6-4 5-7 6-3, to win her 19th straight match at the US Open and move on to the semifinals against Venus Williams.

The third set was especially onerous for both players as neither could hold serve through the first 6 games, going 3-3, all on service breaks, until Clijsters finally held in the seventh game, broke Stosur again, who obviously never held serve the entire third set, and then served the match out at 6-3.

The semifinal matchup of defending champ Kim Clijsters vs. another two-time champ Venus Williams is sure to make the USTA and the networks happy. It is a rematch of last year's Round of 16 matchup which Clijsters won 6-0 0-6 6-4. The swings of momentum in those first two sets was dramatic, with Kim coming out of the gate and throwing down a bagel on Venus in the first set, an almost unheard of occurrence for a player of Venus' ability. But then Venus turned right around and dropped a bagel on Clijsters, equally as uncommon, and seemed to have the momentum going into the third before Kimmie righted the ship to triumph 6-4 and go on to win her second US Open and the first Grand Slam since her comeback.

Both Venus and Kim will need to cut down on unforced errors, regardless of the wind. But so far, I think Stosur, despite what happend at Roland Garros against Francesca Schiavone, whom Venus beat Tuesday, is the best player either Venus or Kim has played in this tournament. Venus has been a little fortunate with the draw to not play somebody of Kim's ability yet, while Stosur is much closer to Venus than Schiavone is to Clijsters. This match could go either way. They have split the previous twelve matches between them. However, Kim has won the last four and in the end, I look for Clijsters to be focused and kiss another opponent goodbye at Flushing Meadows.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-08-2010 at 07:56 AM.