Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #11

Alarming story from the US Open today. This is perhaps heat related. Temperatures are in the 90s heading to 100, but the surface heat from the court has been recorded near 130 already this tournament. And although she was in the first set, players typically have practice sessions as well so who knows how long she has been on the court the last few days. But again, this could be food poisoning or a host of other reasons, so we don't really know yet.

from: The Associated Press: Azarenka collapses, wheeled off court at US Open

Azarenka collapses, wheeled off court at US Open
(AP) – 17 minutes ago

NEW YORK — Victoria Azarenka collapsed and had to be taken off the court in a wheelchair a half-hour into her second-round match against Gisela Dulko at the U.S. Open.
It was 90 degrees with 42 percent humidity when the 10th-seeded Azarenka took to the court Wednesday morning for a second straight steamy day of play at Flushing Meadows.
Azarenka was trailing 5-1 in the first set and not moving well when she fell to the ground, not appearing to twist or strain anything.
Medical personnel rushed out and yelled to the sideline to bring water. After a few minutes on the ground, Azarenka was helped into the wheelchair and moved off the court, with a trainer placing his hand on her neck to check her pulse.
There was no immediate update on her condition.

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-14-2010 at 11:31 AM.
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #12

Another news brief:

from: Tennis-Azarenka collapses on court in U.S. Open heat - Yahoo! Eurosport

Number ten seed Victoria Azarenka collapsed on court in the searing heat at the U.S. Open on Wednesday during her second-round match against Gisela Dulko.

Azarenka slumped to the ground while 1-5 15-30 down on the Grandstand court and, after receiving medical treatment, was taken off in a wheelchair.

The Belarussian appeared to struggle as early as the third game when the trainer was called. She received treatment for an apparent arm injury but also complained of blurred vision.

It became increasingly clear that the 21-year-old was in difficulty as she took time out between every subsequent point and was ill at ease on her feet.

Then, while serving for the fourth time in the match, she collapsed on the baseline, leading to gasps from the crowd, and forcing her retirement from the tournament.

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #13

All the media outlets are focusing on the heat. The temperature on court is already over 100 before 1PM. But I would stress that while it could be the heat, we need to hear more before jumping to that conclusion.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-01-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #14

It was pretty scary.

She went a bit 'jelly-legged' and then crumpled to the ground in a heap.

No such problems for the immaculately cool Ana Ivanovic,who cruised into the third round with a straight sets victory over Zheng Jie...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #15

Preliminary good news on Azarenka...

from: US Open Day 3 Preview And Victoria Azarenka Update | Execte News

In what was certainly a hot atmosphere at the US Open, Victoria Azarenka fainted and had to be taken to the hospital on Tuesday.

About an hour later, it was reported that Victoria Azarenka was conscious and responsive, a positive sign for the US Open superstar.

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #16

So many negative posts by me today about Azarenka, here is a positive video honoring American Military Personnel at the US Open.

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #17

Althought the focus was on the heat, as I mentioned it was good to get more information before rushing to conclusions...

from: Victoria Azarenka's on-court collapse due to concussion - Busted Racquet - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports

Following her release, Azarenka released a statement about her collapse:

"I was warming up in the gym prior to my match against Gisela Dulko when I fell while running a sprint. I fell forward and hit my arm and head. I was checked by the medial team before I went on court, and they were courtside for monitoring.

I felt worse as the match went on, having a headache and feeling dizzy. I also started having trouble seeing and felt weak before I fell. I was taken to the hospital for some medical tests and have been diagnosed with a mild concussion."

Azarenka looked wobbly from the beginning of the match. She called for a trainer at 0-3, but was allowed to continue play. Two points before her collapse, she fell to one knee.

Temperatures in New York had reached 110 degrees on the court during Azarenka's match, but the heat was not said to be a factor in the collapse. During a hot day at the Australian Open two years ago, Azarenka withdrew from a match in similar circumstances.

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #18

For SJX...Ana Ivanovic, who has experienced a precipitous fall from once being ranked #1, has been showing signs that the spark is back...which is good...because her success is good for tennis...

---Bruce Lee

Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #19

Damn,she's magnificent.

Thanks BKB,I hadn't seen that one.That's a great way to start the day.

One never knows when Ana is going to implode,so I'll just enjoy it as far as it goes.I was expecting her next match to be against Marion Bartoli,but the 13th seed was knocked out by a less well-known Frenchwoman,Virginie Razzano.

Do you notice the perfectly positioned Evian bottle at the press conferences ?

Does anyone ever drink from them ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #20

Oh...it's perfectly positioned for a reason...

The US Open 2010 - Grand Slam Tennis - Official Site by IBM

One thing I know from being a former USTA employee is that they do not miss a chance to get a sponsor in the media, being it ads or even video of press conferences. Even the nets on the court have the a corporate logo. This year it's Mercedes, but it's been others in the past, notably Chase. Interesting that you would point out Evian after I just read this:

6-outrageously-overpriced-products: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I had never heard the "naive" spelled backwards joke!

...although I admit it, I like Evian and Poland Spring (I do actually believe I can tell the taste quality between those two and other water...but maybe I'm just "naive"!)

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 09-02-2010 at 10:21 AM.