Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

Smile 15" hole?

I have changed my view of the 15" hole from absolute ridicule into, wait a minute, this might be fun to play on occasion.

Once I understood what TaylorMade is doing, adding to, rather than trying to replace traditional golf, I can see where the 15" hole might serve a good purpose in recreational golf.

Personally I still think if a 15" hole is used then a golf course should be designed around it but until then, if ever, having the 15" hole available as an option on traditional courses is not going to hurt the game of golf.

Xman, are there any courses in your area that are offering the 15" hole option?
If so how about giving it a try and let us know what you think? Now keep an open mind, don't go "Lojo" on us.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
the 15" hole available as an option on traditional courses is not going to hurt the game of golf.

Xman, are there any courses in your area that are offering the 15" hole option?
No.

I never heard of this until mentioned here.

I don't think that this is the problem with golf. Yes putting may determine your score, but I think that the actual hard part and most frustrating part for many beginners and those that do not play a lot is actually getting the ball to the green.

Sculled drives, not able to hit out of rough, not able to hit out of fairway, not being able to hit consistant distances, for 5 hours. That's what frustrates people.

As Robin Williams said you do this once .... no18 %$#&*$ times.

I think that putting is the least of the problems. Look at all the people that give themselves that 3 foot putt.

On thing that I have noticed is that where I have been playing is that pace of play has improved.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

The 15" hole has caused me to start thinking about why I don't play golf anymore. I haven't played in several years but when I did play at least in the years before I decided to put away the clubs I did enjoy playing golf.
So why did I stop?

The fun stopped a couple of years before I quit, that's why. It wasn't the game itself as much as it was other people destroying a day that I had set aside for fun. There was too much crowding on the golf course, leading to on course conflicts, tee times were too close to each other, it took an average 5 1/2 hours to play a round of golf, add to that, time to get to the course early to hit some range balls and putt a bit and I ended up with most of the day shot to hell and going home tense, not relaxed.

So I put away the clubs and while I do miss the actual playing of the game, I don't miss, at all, what you have to put up with to play the game.

Now my point. If the 15" hole can speed up play, reduce congestion and conflict on the golf course, then I might dust the clubs off and give it another chance. After all, hitting the golf ball is fun, putting not so much.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

"What you have to put up with to play the game?" Like other people on the golf course?

You have options.

Join a private club. Many are looking for new members and have made it more affordable by reducing or eliminating initiation fees and by having more flexible and affordable membership options.

Play golf at "off" times. Even municipal or resort courses have days and times that are not busy. Those who want to play on Saturday mornings at 10:30...yeah, they're gonna run into a whole lot of other people wanting those prime times and it's gonna be s-l-o-w. Go on an off time.... something like 8:30 on a Thursday morning.

If courses with 15" cups become popular (I don't see it happening), then they will be over run by beginner golfers or people who are straight off the putt-putt golf circuit. That's fine, but to me that's not necessarily going to speed up play, reduce congestion or eliminate "conflict" (whatever that is) on the course.

I believe the whole premise of making putting "easier" and therefore speeding up the game is flawed. Most of the non-serious golfers I see rarely putt out anyway. They get on the green (finally)...make a quick effort at their first putt...then pick it up.

Your idea of golf is hitting the golf ball, but not putting. Why not just become a driving range golfer? That way you don't have to play golf at all and no one will hold you up
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
"What you have to put up with to play the game?" Like other people on the golf course?

You have options.

Join a private club. Many are looking for new members and have made it more affordable by reducing or eliminating initiation fees and by having more flexible and affordable membership options.

Play golf at "off" times. Even municipal or resort courses have days and times that are not busy. Those who want to play on Saturday mornings at 10:30...yeah, they're gonna run into a whole lot of other people wanting those prime times and it's gonna be s-l-o-w. Go on an off time.... something like 8:30 on a Thursday morning.

If courses with 15" cups become popular (I don't see it happening), then they will be over run by beginner golfers or people who are straight off the putt-putt golf circuit. That's fine, but to me that's not necessarily going to speed up play, reduce congestion or eliminate "conflict" (whatever that is) on the course.

I believe the whole premise of making putting "easier" and therefore speeding up the game is flawed. Most of the non-serious golfers I see rarely putt out anyway. They get on the green (finally)...make a quick effort at their first putt...then pick it up.

Your idea of golf is hitting the golf ball, but not putting. Why not just become a driving range golfer? That way you don't have to play golf at all and no one will hold you up
Lojo,

Just curious, do you belong to a private club?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #6

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Lojo,

Just curious, do you belong to a private club?
Yes, I do.

However, I'm a very active golfer and play events on many other courses, both public and private.

I know public and resort courses can be very crowded during peak times like weekends. It's best to avoid those times, but not easy for someone who works on weekdays.

I don't think enlarging the cup is going to solve that issue unless they build, or more likely "transform", courses specifically for the new idea. Kind of like some have talked about Executive length or Par 3 courses. Though, I'm not sure how many of THOSE still exist.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Smile

Yes, I do.

However, I'm a very active golfer and play events on many other courses, both public and private.

I know public and resort courses can be very crowded during peak times like weekends. It's best to avoid those times, but not easy for someone who works on weekdays.

I don't think enlarging the cup is going to solve that issue unless they build, or more likely "transform", courses specifically for the new idea. Kind of like some have talked about Executive length or Par 3 courses. Though, I'm not sure how many of THOSE still exist.
IMO, playing events on public golf courses is far different than teeing it up informally with the general public on a weekend.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

I agree. And I've tee'd it up hundreds of times in "informal" rounds on public golf courses on weekends and other prime times.

I understand the problem of slow golf rounds. Private courses are not immune to having slow members! It's just there are probably fewer of them, but they're no less annoying.

Another thing....some golfers wish to go out as a twosome and then bitch that they were held up. Hello?

If the course is full of 3somes and 4somes, how can a twosome NOT eventually be held up? Where are they gonna go?....through the entire field ahead of them, causing chaos and inflicting delays on those who let them through? Grrrr.

Many public courses will not let a twosome go out at busy times, but will pair them with another twosome or a single. If they don't want that....too bad.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

I agree. And I've tee'd it up hundreds of times in "informal" rounds on public golf courses on weekends and other prime times.

I understand the problem of slow golf rounds. Private courses are not immune to having slow members! It's just there are probably fewer of them, but they're no less annoying.

Another thing....some golfers wish to go out as a twosome and then bitch that they were held up. Hello?

If the course is full of 3somes and 4somes, how can a twosome NOT eventually be held up? Where are they gonna go?....through the entire field ahead of them, causing chaos and inflicting delays on those who let them through? Grrrr.

Many public courses will not let a twosome go out at busy times, but will pair them with another twosome or a single. If they don't want that....too bad.
Oh man, twosomes in carts, I don't have good memories of the ones who think that they are entitled to play through regardless of course congestion.
Those rude dudes shouldn't be allowed on the golf course but many times they are regulars who gain favor with the starter, therefore, they think they should be able to do as they damn well please.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Contest Statistician

So far this year most of my rounds have been well under 5 hours. More like 4.5. I always walk and carry my clubs. Last round was so fast that I never had time to sit. Groups ahead and behind us. I play at prime time on highly played public courses. I found last year that play times were way down
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote