Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > Other Discussions > Anything

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
Contest Statistician

For some reason they have applied a syndrome to him. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him. Just a very smart nerd, nothing wrong with that.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Does it say his parent pushed and tried to make a buck out of him? Not in this report. I think most parents of a child with this syndrome and ability are somewhat baffled by their talent.

Why is everyone always so scathing about this kind of report? The kid might just do it, we don't know! Equally he might not, we don't know! Haven't most of the theoretical physicists or students of that kind of thing been relatively young when they made their discovery? Einstein was 26, John Nash Jr also 20's.

Given most of us are 'normal' (whatever that means), I'd say we don't understand 'different from normal'.
I'm critical because it started by his mom thinking he was so special she had to videotape him and post him on YouTube to try to get media attention for him. I don't have a lot of respect for that. It usually harms the kid more than helps.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #13

Sheer coincidence, today on Radio 4 in the UK they had a program featuring two guys both with Asperger's syndrome. It was quite interesting to listen following on from this thread.

Something Asperger himself said in describing people with the condition is that they are all 'little professors'. While often being extremely intelligent in one field, they are able to pursue that field 'without emotion'. Perhaps when it comes to any of the 'deeper' sciences it helps not to get emotionally involved. Anyhow, it was interesting.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #14

Sheer coincidence, today on Radio 4 in the UK they had a program featuring two guys both with Asperger's syndrome. It was quite interesting to listen following on from this thread.

Something Asperger himself said in describing people with the condition is that they are all 'little professors'. While often being extremely intelligent in one field, they are able to pursue that field 'without emotion'. Perhaps when it comes to any of the 'deeper' sciences it helps not to get emotionally involved. Anyhow, it was interesting.
Good coincidental report, heddwyn. There are many brilliant people throughout history who it's been suggested now to possibly have had Asperger's. Many scientists, and particularly many in the arts.

Just throwing out some names I've heard suggested.... Mozart, Michaelangelo, Einstein, ...even Bill Gates!

I have a friend whose teenage grandson has a mild case of Asperger's. He's brilliant academically...in the top 1% in his state, in all fields...and is a brilliant musician. But, socially...he's very challenged. As you said...looking at everything without emotion.

What some of us in previous generations knew in our classes as "geeks" and "nerds" and "twerps" and "brainiacs" were likely suffering from such ailments as Asperger Syndrome....many of whom have gone on to be very successful in their fields.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #15

Speaking of genius...how about his old man? I think he is genius.

The IRS decides to audit Grandpa, and summoned him to the IRS office.
The IRS auditor was not surprised when Grandpa showed up with his
attorney.

The auditor said, "Well, sir, you have an above-average lifestyle and no full-time employment, which you explain by saying
that you win money gambling. I'm not sure the IRS finds that
believable."

"I'm a great gambler, and I can prove it," says Grandpa. "How about a demonstration?"

The auditor thinks for a moment and said, "Okay. Go ahead."

Grandpa says, "I'll bet you a thousand dollars that I can bite my own eye."

The auditor thinks a moment and says, "It's a bet."

Grandpa removes his glass eye and bites it. The auditor's jaw drops. Grandpa says, "Now, I'll bet you two thousand dollars that I can bite my other eye."

Now the auditor can tell Grandpa isn't blind, so he takes the bet.

Grandpa removes his dentures and bites his good eye.

The stunned auditor now realizes he has wagered and lost $three grand, with Grandpa's attorney as a witness. He starts to get nervous.

"Want to go double or nothing?" Grandpa asks. "I'll bet you six thousand dollars that I can stand on one side of your desk, and pee into that wastebasket on the other side, and never get a drop anywhere in between."

The auditor, twice burned, is cautious now, but he looks carefully and decides there's no way this old guy could possibly manage that stunt, so he agrees again.

Grandpa stands beside the desk and unzips his pants, but although he strains
mightily, he can't make the stream reach the wastebasket on the other
side, so he pretty much urinates all over the auditor's desk. The
auditor leaps with joy, realizing that he has just turned a major loss
into a huge win.

But Grandpa's own attorney begins to moan and puts his head in
his hands. "Are you okay?" the auditor asks.

"Not really," says the attorney. "This morning, when my client told me he'd been summoned for an audit, he bet me twenty-five thousand dollars that he could come in to your office and pi$$ all over your desk and that you'd be happy about it!"

Don't Mess with Old People!!!

To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
A kid who is not even a teenager. Smart, probably a genius (college level at his age), and the posters have just about decided on the prognosis: Asperger's syndrome. I am amazed, posters are not only experts in Golf but in medicine. The poor mother has also been criticized for not keep the freak in the closet.
Asperger's syndrome includes "repetitive routines or rituals; peculiarities in speech and language; socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior and the inability to interact successfully with peers; problems with non-verbal communication; and clumsy and uncoordinated motor movements". I was suprised that our posters could distinguish such characteristics from a short video.

As for proving or disproving Einstein. Give the kid a chance. It took hundred of mathematicians and about 350 years to work on "Fermat's Last Theorem" At least give this kid ten years to work on Einstein.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #17

Elf, the report says he was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was around 3 years, nothing to do with people here deciding from the video. I had read the report before, didn't even look at the video.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Elf View Post
A kid who is not even a teenager. Smart, probably a genius (college level at his age), and the posters have just about decided on the prognosis: Asperger's syndrome. I am amazed, posters are not only experts in Golf but in medicine. The poor mother has also been criticized for not keep the freak in the closet.
Asperger's syndrome includes "repetitive routines or rituals; peculiarities in speech and language; socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior and the inability to interact successfully with peers; problems with non-verbal communication; and clumsy and uncoordinated motor movements". I was suprised that our posters could distinguish such characteristics from a short video.

As for proving or disproving Einstein. Give the kid a chance. It took hundred of mathematicians and about 350 years to work on "Fermat's Last Theorem" At least give this kid ten years to work on Einstein.
Elf...no one suggested that the young man is an Asperger's syndrome person. It was just an interesting sideline brought up by heddwyn as it related to 'genius' level people. No one "diagnosed" him as such.

Disproving Einstein has been tried for decades with the most brilliant minds working on it. OK, yep....it could happen, but I don't think so.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #19

Elf, the report says he was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was around 3 years, nothing to do with people here deciding from the video. I had read the report before, didn't even look at the video.
I never looked at the video either. Whatever.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #20
Elf

Send a message via MSN to Elf
Good point heddwyn. He supposedly was diagnosed with AD 9 years ago. Was it conclusive? Is it an irreversible chronical disease? Should the word "genius" be thrown out of our dictionary just as "idiot", "retarded", "imbecile", "idiot savant" and restrain our words to those of the new trend psychiatrists?
Kind of boring.
I just can not see me playing dominoes at the Cantina and calling my partner: You autistic, special needs guy screwed everything up. Or when he makes a great move: You Asparager diseased partner did great.

Last edited by Elf; 04-05-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote