Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Meg Mallon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #11

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
They should move the tour championship to the beginning of the year and have it be the first full field event of the season. Then put the ADT back at the end of the season. i don't mind a 120 player field. After all it is the tour championship, not the 1/3 tour championship or 1/2 tour championship,
You can't have a tour championship at the beginning of a season that is not logical.

I do agree with you that the ADT belongs at the end of the season giving a LPGA tour player the chance to earn a PGA TOUR winner's check.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

I agree. A Tour Championship should be at the end of the season. The timing of this event is good. It's the come-one, come-all admission critieria that's flawed.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #13

i disagree, having the tour championship open the season would be very high profile and jump start the season well. there's no rules saying the tour championship has to be at the end of the season. having the ADT at the end is more logical than the tour championship with such a large field. and the field should be trimmed, to the top 80 on the previous year's money list, not to large, not to small. that way all exempt players will get in, without having to go so far down the money list.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

i disagree, having the tour championship open the season would be very high profile and jump start the season well. there's no rules saying the tour championship has to be at the end of the season. having the ADT at the end is more logical than the tour championship with such a large field. and the field should be trimmed, to the top 80 on the previous year's money list, not to large, not to small. that way all exempt players will get in, without having to go so far down the money list.
Who are you crowning? The champion of the year before of the presumptive champion of the coming year? If the former, it doesn't make sense because everyone just came off a two month break. Some players may have even retired. All momentum is lost. If the latter, are the new players on tour or rookies included? Why not?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #15

Well if you don't like the idea, then bring back the ADT and format to close the year, then change the tour championship to a players championship run by the players and have that to open the season. Or move the HSBC Champions up to be the opening event. That way there is a marqee opening and closing to the official season.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Well if you don't like the idea, then bring back the ADT and format to close the year, then change the tour championship to a players championship run by the players and have that to open the season. Or move the HSBC Champions up to be the opening event. That way there is a marqee opening and closing to the official season.
Would love to bring the ADT back, but I don't run the LPGA.

The opening event should be in the U.S. ideally, full field on live US television. I know I'm dreaming. But for 2010 we have a limited field event in Thailand, no domestic television and competing with the winter Olympics.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #17

Well 2010 is a rebuilding year, i think 2011 will be much better.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Forum Moderator

Well 2010 is a rebuilding year, i think 2011 will be much better.
The new commissioner has a big job ahead of him.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Would love to bring the ADT back, but I don't run the LPGA.

The opening event should be in the U.S. ideally, full field on live US television. I know I'm dreaming. But for 2010 we have a limited field event in Thailand, no domestic television and competing with the winter Olympics.
Even the Thai Guy in me must agree with this...the LPGA does not do itself a favor by basically starting their year in the dark...

...I wondered, when the LPGA struck a deal with Golf Channel, that they didn't try to tie in some way to show the Asian swing, even on tape delay...they do that with Evian...I assume the networks that show the LPGA events in Korea, Thailand and Japan have to strike a deal with the LPGA, so why not try to make the TV licensing deal contingent on sharing the event, even if on delay, with the LPGA's US television partner...

...the LPGA just does not currently have enough of a following to go dark for weeks...and to start the year off, even in my birthplace, without the majority of its fans being able to follow the action...not good...

...and yes, I have to agree the Tour Championship should not begin the year...otherwise what year is it representing...and you point out the flaws...

...BUT...BUT...BUT...here's what I would say...if they found a way to start the year with it that attracted tons of media attention that I'd be on board with that...maybe do something to tweak the format...match play...modified stableford scoring...play it on the same prestigious course every year...

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #20

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
Even the Thai Guy in me must agree with this...the LPGA does not do itself a favor by basically starting their year in the dark...
You mean it's dark in Bangkok, Thailand? I thought Bangkok is the City of Lights!

Bangkok, Thailand

Just teasing, Bobbyboy. I knew what you meant!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote