Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Meg Mallon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Mallon...ruined careers?

If Meg did say this she is full of it. How on earth could a Solheim Cup appearance ruin a player's career? How about a couple of names so that they can be interviewed to verify, that yes, Meg is correct, my appearance in the Solheim Cup ruined my career.
-----------------------------------------------------
“The Solheim Cup is a different beast,” Mallon said back when she was beginning to mull over captain’s picks. “In the nine Solheim Cups I’ve been a part of, it’s actually ruined some players’ careers because they were not ready for that stage.”

2013 Solheim Cup - U.S. Hopes To Take Back Cup From Europe | Golf Channel

Last edited by gxer; 08-14-2013 at 10:23 AM.
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Forum Moderator

We discussed this in June in this thread: Pre-2013 Solheim Cup

Sag and LoJo posted that Meg was probably referring to Kelli Kuehne
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
If Meg did say this she is full of it. How on earth could a Solheim Cup appearance ruin a player's career? How about a couple of names so that they can be interviewed to verity, that yes, Meg is correct, my appearance in the Solheim Cup ruined my career.
-----------------------------------------------------
“The Solheim Cup is a different beast,” Mallon said back when she was beginning to mull over captain’s picks. “In the nine Solheim Cups I’ve been a part of, it’s actually ruined some players’ careers because they were not ready for that stage.”

2013 Solheim Cup - U.S. Hopes To Take Back Cup From Europe | Golf Channel
Ah,so that's why Meg Mallon never picked Jennifer Johnson.

She was concerned that exposing her to such a huge stage,at such a tender age,would have a harmful effect on her future career...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
We discussed this in June in this thread: Pre-2013 Solheim Cup

Sag and LoJo posted that Meg was probably referring to Kelli Kuehne
Here's what lojo said and the implication is that diabetes had more of a negative affect on Kelli's career than the Solheim Cup appearances.
I do not believe that any player's career was ruined by a Solheim Cup appearance, it makes zero sense that that would occur, zero.
-----------------------
I was thinking Kuehne too, only because she had a horrid Solheim at Interlachen in '02. I was there and followed her a bit...she was not ready for prime time. I looked up her other Solheim appearance in Sweden and she didn't fare too well there either, winning a coupla matches with Kerr who likely just willed herself to win.

However, Meg could have meant someone else. Kuehne suffers from Diabetes and it really did influence her career, much like Michelle McGann. I mean...wearing an insulin pump is not exactly conducive to any sports endeavor.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #5

What I remember of Kuehne's rookie Solheim appearance in 2002 at Interlachen is that she was the "it" girl for the US team. A Texan...All American rah rah rah.

Her mother was decked out in quite extraordinary USA bling....head to toe in red white and blue, including wearing a big white Stetson hat, adorned with patriotic bling. You couldn't help but see her following the matches.

There was a lot of pressure on Kelli. She'd come on the LPGA tour with a very impressive Amateur career and was from a family of accomplished golfers in brothers Hank and Trip Kuehne. She was quite in the spotlight at the '02 Solheim, and I think was way out of her comfort zone. She went 0-4-0.

Did that "ruin" her career? Maybe it destroyed her confidence. I dunno. The diabetes certainly was an issue for her.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #6

maybe she was referring to Wie's career.

ha , ha, ha.

Yeah Meg, you're just looking out for the young pups.

talk about "grasping at straws".
Old 08-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Meg's theme about "being ready for the big stage" was echoed in her remarks after picking Michelle Wie as a captain's pick. Certainly Beth was influenced by Beth Daniel's experience with Wie in 2009. Beth is obviously the de facto top assistant captain this year.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Saint-Just X;141709]Ah,so that's why Meg Mallon never picked Jennifer Johnson.

She was concerned that exposing her to such a huge stage,at such a tender age,would have a harmful effect on her future career...

Saint-Just X has a point, Meg Mallon's so afraid to risk her team to a such doubtful rookie golfer.
feonicamartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

imagine what will now happen to those rookie Euros. What was Lotta thinking?

just a litte humour guys.

ruined careers, what a hoot.