Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Brittany Lang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Contest Statistician

Send a message via Yahoo to DJGOLFER59
Brittany 2006

im surprised there isnt more people posting for her.

i got to watch her a bit today and i think she has a great swing. she certainly is one of my favorite rookies and everytime i walk by the putting green this week she seems to be practicing!

good luck tomorrow!
DJGOLFER59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #2

DJ, I think that, like me, a lot of fans don't know as much about her as most of the other young players. From what I've seen, her folder will get much more active before long.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

Send a message via Yahoo to DJGOLFER59
GREAT FINISH AT THE KNC BRITTANY, HOPE YOU CAN KEEP UP A GOOD YEAR AND CHALLENGE FOR ROY. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS IM AT WORK AND TOO LAZY TOO CHANGE IT javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile
DJGOLFER59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:38 AM   #4

Michelle leads LPGA in money and scoring

OK, let me set this up.....the USGA has already said that if Mivhelle Wie is in the top 30 in official money at the end of May, that they will extend her an exemption to the U.S. Open

So let's look at this objectively.....she has only played in two tournaments, one a major......she will still have two tournaments at the end of May, as her next LPGA appearance will be in June at the LPGA Championship, where she finished 2nd last year.

So all we can rate her on is how she did in the two tournaments, right? She has averaged winning $90,724 in the two tournaments. So here is a list of the top 10 in official ADT money earnings, with number of tournaments played in parenthesis, followed by their scoring average:

1. Michelle Wie $90,724 (2) 69.00
2. Annika Sorenstam 84,000 (3) 70.45
3. Juli Inkster 77,000 (4) 70.00
4. Karrie Webb 73,500 (4) 70.57
5. Lorena Ochoa 61,800 (5) 70.00
6. Natalie Gulbis 49,000 (5) 69.76
7. Seon Hwa Lee 47,800 (5) 70.53
8. Joo Mi Kim 45,000 (5) 71.71
9. Meena Lee 42,000 (5) 71.41
10. Cristie Kerr 28,035 (5) 70.65
11. Paula Creamer 27,200 (5) 70.59
Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #5

Hi ya Boola....I think your thread title should be changed somewhat to "Money AVERAGE PER TOURNAMENT PLAYED".....Boola, I think you had better put on that bullet proof vest of yours....I can already hear the pulling back of the hammer on the 357 Magnum and/or Colt 45.....I am outta here....I don't want to take a stray bullet....I value my life....or at least what little I have of it

anyway....have a great evening Boola.....see ya at the firing range.....just kidding.....see ya
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:53 AM   #6

Hew WF you don't have to worry about me getting shot! This is a DB and I posted a subject that will probably get MANY hits....but that's what a DB is for right? Somebody who does not care for Michelle, like we do, will undoubtedly take some shots at me.......but they will be VERBAL ones, as that's all that is allowed on this site, right?

Anyway, with Michelle only playing 2 events up until June, one would have to use average to be fair to everybody, right? We can't penalize Michelle because she still has to go to school, can we?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

I think Michelle will probably be in the top 30 even only including the two tournaments she's played if that's how they want to calculate it. Michelle has chosen not to qualify for the US Open through the normal route (the local and sectional tournaments) so that's the option the USGA is giving her.

But I don't think it's valid statistically to figure out her money standings by taking her average on her two tournaments and comparing it to other player's averages on their 3, 4, 5 or more tournaments. This would only work if the purses were the same for each tournament and they're not.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #8

I think the only way Michelle gets knocked out of the top 30 is if the ladies that are already in the top 30 don't let anyone else in. Also the first 15 has to switch position with the 2nd 15. Even this is probably not enough to keep Michelle out of virtual top 30 money list.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:32 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Boola Boss
Hew WF you don't have to worry about me getting shot! This is a DB and I posted a subject that will probably get MANY hits....but that's what a DB is for right? Somebody who does not care for Michelle, like we do, will undoubtedly take some shots at me.......but they will be VERBAL ones, as that's all that is allowed on this site, right?

Anyway, with Michelle only playing 2 events up until June, one would have to use average to be fair to everybody, right? We can't penalize Michelle because she still has to go to school, can we?
WieFan and BLue is correct that what matters is not the avg earning per tournament but rather the total earning.

ANd it is fair to "penalize" Michelle by using the aggregate and not the avg. The Lpga is a full time sport/business and its members are expected to compete full time. Those like Wie who are allowed to compete on a part time basis are few and allowed as a courtesy/exception and the rules should not be changed to accomodate them (the few) to the detriment of the majority.

Anyhow do you have the figures for total money earned? I'm interested to see where everyone stack up.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
Forum Moderator

Again, Michelle is not being penalized because she has to go to school. Morgan Pressel is also a full-time high school student and has full-time playing priveleges on the LPGA tour. She has missed only the tournament in Mexico this year and has actually had to fly from Florida to Hawaii (Michelle's home state) for two of the tournaments.

One has to be 18 years old to play full-time on the LPGA tour. Morgan, at 17, petitioned for an exception to that rule and was granted that exception. Aree Song did the same thing two years ago. Michelle might have tried the same. At 16, her chances might have been less. However, she has a proven and track record of success playing on the LPGA that no other 16-year-old has and she is also a huge draw at tournaments. It would have been worth a try. Commissioner Bivens has stated that she would grant the exception without a doubt if Michelle won a major this year but that the Wie family is not interested in this because they want to keep Michelle's options open to play on other tours during the season (PGA, Europe, Asia, etc.) this year and next. Michelle Wie has chosen not to do what it would take to try to play the LPGA tour full time and one of those consequences is that she is not on the official LPGA money list which affects her ability to play in the US Open and in the Playoffs at the ADT.

It has nothing to do with having to go to high school. The LPGA didn't care one bit that Paula Creamer was still in high school in the 2005 season because she was already 18. It's just an age thing and those who want can appeal that rule. Those who are qualified (Song, Pressel) have had luck with those appeals.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote