Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Courses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Contest Statistician

What is your favorite golf tournament to go to?

I have never had the opportunity to go to any golf tournament before. I was thinking of going to the Lorena Invitational. My decision is mostly based on the fact that it is the closest to Monterrey, and being in Guadalajara (and a Lorena fan) I am sure it will have a special atmosphere.
Wanted to ask all of you which do you think is a good tournament choice in case I decided to go to one in the US? I am sure there a courses more accessible for us visitors. Would you recommend one of the majors? O rather a limited field event like the Samsung or ADT?

Some of the posts in this site make me realize that I would appreciate much more the game of golf (and the LPGA) if I am a bit closer than just sitting on my TV room.
lumazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #2

wow, what a question ... my favourite womens tournament is Evian in France after that it is a seaside course in England like Blackpool , Royal St Anns ... after that in the US, I'm not sure ... maybe someone else can help ...
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #3

Lumazi - any chance you can get to the Kraft Nabisco? I realize it's this week, but it's a great field and an entertaining tournament. I guess since you're in Mexico your best bet would be to go to Lorena's tournament, but what kind of a turnout does that one have? Mind you...if you've never been, why not? Totally different atmosphere actually being there than watching on TV, no matter what the tournament.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Contest Statistician

Send a message via Yahoo to DJGOLFER59
I've only been to one event, the Nabisco, and I love every second of it each year. It's a great event, and the fact its a major helps too. The buzz around the event, the course, anticipation, all top notch. Definately would recommend it. I've wanted to go to the Samsung since it's pretty close to me as well, but since they moved it this year I may have missed my chance.

If I could go to any event, it would certainly be the US Open, my favorite event of the year. I would love to see a USGA course up close and personal.

Whatever event you go to Lumazi you'll have a great time, it really is a fun experience.
DJGOLFER59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Contest Statistician

Thanks all,
Yes, I imagine that a major would be quite exciting. The truth is that going to the Lorena Invitational is more because of economic reasons, since the plane is not that expensive from home and I can stay with friends. But still I believe, will be thrilling. Later on I shall ask everybody for tips as to what to do/ not to do, and be able to enjoy the experience more.
lumazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

I would also recommend going to a major if you can. I go to a few tournaments a year and you can't beat the excitement of the US Open.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #7

The best tournament to attend in my opinion is the Michelob Ultra Open in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Mr.JRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Originally Posted by lumazi View Post
Wanted to ask all of you which do you think is a good tournament choice in case I decided to go to one in the US? I am sure there a courses more accessible for us visitors. Would you recommend one of the majors? O rather a limited field event like the Samsung or ADT?
Hi - I agree that a major would be the best choice. (Best course conditions, top players, knowledgeable fans, etc.) However, different folks enjoy events in different ways. If you're a walker, it's good to know that the event you plan to attend allows spectators to walk the entire course (not all do - St. Andrew's, e.g.). If you want to sit and watch the parade pass by, the Kraft has ample seating at various course locations, especially at the 18th hole where some folks just sit and cheer incoming shots all 4 days. Personally, I like to have the option to walk the entire course - ha - imagining myself in their place. Also, for me, the fuller the field, the better I like it, so even though the Samsung is unique and exciting, you may not see the veterans or rookies or hometown favorites.
Ricearoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #9

Since I'm in California, I've been to the Nabisco a few times. It's not only an entertaining tournament, it's a fun week in Palm Springs. There are just tons of great courses to play too.
kiwibirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by DJGOLFER59 View Post
If I could go to any event, it would certainly be the US Open, my favorite event of the year. I would love to see a USGA course up close and personal.
There is nothing like the US Open. I have been to the open at Winged Foot and Shinicock Hills.

Just placed my order for next year at Bethpage (the only advantage to having an Am Ex card). The last time that they had the open at Bethpage, the public was able to play the course (on a limited schedule) up to a few weeks before the open. I don't even play the course on a normal day because it is so hard. Can't imagine how tough it is under and open setup. I am going to try to play it before the open next year.

I have been to the LPGA Championship (and will be there this year), however it did not have that big major feel to it for some reason. Yes it was fun and I had a good time, but it was lacking in something.

I think that if you can get to a tournament this year that has Annika in it you should. This years Sysbase had a lot more energy to it because of the last time that Annika will be there. I think that the LPGA Championship will have a big feel to it because of Annika, especially if she is in contention and or Lorena going for #2 in the grand slam.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote