Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Courses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #1

Question Length of Courses?

The PGA TOUR over the past few years has added considerable length to their golf course setups, yet the LPGA tour has not.

Why? Isn't it reasonable to expect that modern equipment has the same advantages, relatively speaking, for females as it does males?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
NTB

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
The PGA TOUR over the past few years has added considerable length to their golf course setups, yet the LPGA tour has not.

Why? Isn't it reasonable to expect that modern equipment has the same advantages, relatively speaking, for females as it does males?
I don't know the answer. Has the girls scores gotten that much better?
Seems to be more of a difference in the girls tour then the mens.
Most of the men are over 300 yds. The girls seem to vary more in length.
I don't know. Good question.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
NTB

Qxer… I will tell you what I think should be done. I think they should start a mixed tour format like Wendys for the same big bucks the men play for now.
Annika would probably have more money then Tiger and be known as the best all time golfer ever if she had played in that kind of a format during her time.
To me that would have been fair.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #4

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
Qxer… I will tell you what I think should be done. I think they should start a mixed tour format like Wendys for the same big bucks the men play for now.
Annika would probably have more money then Tiger and be known as the best all time golfer ever if she had played in that kind of a format during her time.
To me that would have been fair.
You can think that is fair if you want but you would be wrong.

Fair competition in golf DICTATES that the same tees must be used, anything else is not fair competition, it is handicapped competition.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #5

Oh boy, notaxbill...... shhhhhhh!! Don't mention "Mixed Tour Events" around gxer!

I don't know the stats, but my belief is that the LPGA Scoring Average has gone down through the years with the better equipment (and fitness and coaching, etc), though the courses have not changed in length much.

Also, my guess is that the PGA scoring averages have gone down too, despite the lengthening of the courses.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
NTB

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Oh boy, notaxbill...... shhhhhhh!! Don't mention "Mixed Tour Events" around gxer!

I don't know the stats, but my belief is that the LPGA Scoring Average has gone down through the years with the better equipment (and fitness and coaching, etc), though the courses have not changed in length much.

Also, my guess is that the PGA scoring averages have gone down too, despite the lengthening of the courses.
Not really trying to start any crap with Qxer but I would love to have seen
Annika play Tiger from different tees. She I think would have won most of them. She would have had the yacht and the multi million dollar home.
Ntb
Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #7

NTB, you're going to give the poor guy a stroke.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #8

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
NTB, you're going to give the poor guy a stroke.
He doesn't bother me because I know he doesn't know what he is talking about.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #9

The day is fast approaching when some women will qualify to play on the PGA. One of the reason I am saying this is that two of my friends went to the Open at Oakmont and said they were in shock become some of the women's drives were 280 and 300 yards. They were asked if the ladies were driving down hill or on a road. They said those drives were legitimate. They said that you can't appreciate how technically sound, fit, flexible and strong some of the women are unless you see them in person and in action. Look at the distance stats of 17 year old Jessica Korda.

I remember when Title 9 alowed/caused girls cross country and track teams to be added to the local highs chools. The boys and girls in the beginning ran together. No body ever expected the girls to finish with the boys, which would complicate scoring. In the beginning all the boys finished before any of the girls started to cross the finish line. But the girls worked hard and were soon finishing with the boys. The teams were seperated when some of the girls started lapping the boys.
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #10

Length alone is not the reason women will qualify. The question is...so what if they do?Are they gonna be competitive as a qualifier? I don't see it, honestly.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote