Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Courses

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
The day is fast approaching when some women will qualify to play on the PGA..
You make me laugh. Just because YOU say the day is fast approaching doesn't mean that it is, because in fact, it isn't fast approaching or slowly approaching, it isn't approaching at all.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
Contest Statistician
 
xman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,617
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
The day is fast approaching when some women will qualify to play on the PGA.
I have been to a lot of LPGA and PGA events over the last few years, including many majors. I hope to get to the Barclays this weekend. I have played a lot of golf and think I know the game well.

That day is not fast approaching. There is a hugh difference between the two.

Last edited by xman5; 08-25-2010 at 07:47 AM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
The day is fast approaching when some women will qualify to play on the PGA. One of the reason I am saying this is that two of my friends went to the Open at Oakmont and said they were in shock become some of the women's drives were 280 and 300 yards. They were asked if the ladies were driving down hill or on a road. They said those drives were legitimate. They said that you can't appreciate how technically sound, fit, flexible and strong some of the women are unless you see them in person and in action. Look at the distance stats of 17 year old Jessica Korda.

I remember when Title 9 alowed/caused girls cross country and track teams to be added to the local highs chools. The boys and girls in the beginning ran together. No body ever expected the girls to finish with the boys, which would complicate scoring. In the beginning all the boys finished before any of the girls started to cross the finish line. But the girls worked hard and were soon finishing with the boys. The teams were seperated when some of the girls started lapping the boys.
I don't doubt that your friend was surprised at how far the professional women hit the ball. A lot of people are surprised at how good the top pro women are when they actually see them in person. People seem especially surprised at how far the longest drivers hit the ball. Though, the longest drivers (Tamie Durdin) are not necessarily the best players.

Certainly increased access to athletic opportunities over the past 50 years has given women the ability to live up to their potential. This took another leap when Title IX passed in 1972. In fact, Title IX had an effect not just on sports. It opened up opportunities in all areas of education for girls.

However, physiological differences between females and males have not changed and, barring the use of steroids and other external agents, they won't. Even the tallest and biggest players on the LPGA Tour cannot come close to competing with men. Some very tall or big players like Michelle Wie, Laura Davies or Lexi Thompson may be able to hit the ball a long way, but they lack the overall strength to compete with men in all aspects of the game.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Moderator
 
Saint-Just X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,076
There was a time when I thought there was a possibility that,one day,women could compete with the men on the PGA tour.

I was wrong.

The fact that half a dozen women can drive the ball 290 yards means little.The average PGA event is played on a course about 750 yards longer than the corresponding LPGA course,the rough tends to be more penal,the greens are faster ;they have 500 yard par fours.

It's the same game,but the set-up is entirely different.

It serves no purpose for women to compete against men at the top level ;it does the women's game no favours when they try,either.

Not everything has to be about equality,or a battle of the sexes.What's wrong with simply enjoying watching the women play on the LPGA tour,and the men playing on the PGA tour ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
__________________
Make Momoko Great Again (MMGA)- Rolex World Ranking as of 11/09/17 : 83rd
Saint-Just X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Not everything has to be about equality,or a battle of the sexes.What's wrong with simply enjoying watching the women play on the LPGA tour,and the men playing on the PGA tour ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
That's the way I have thought for more years than I care to admit.

Saint, I have to give you credit, you are one of the very few people on any golf message board that I frequent who admits to being wrong on the gender bender issue but are now OK with it and can simply enjoy competitive golf as played by women or by men on their separate professional tours.

I think Blue is coming our way, I don't know if she is all the way there yet or not, but she is getting there, little by little.

Lojo has always been with us, she just doesn't want to admit it for some reason.

Wiefan is hopeless.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
I think Blue is coming our way, I don't know if she is all the way there yet or not, but she is getting there, little by little.
What do you mean "coming our way?"

I have never, ever, not for a second, contended that men and women can compete at the same level.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Contest Statistician
 
xman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,617
Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Not everything has to be about equality,or a battle of the sexes.What's wrong with simply enjoying watching the women play on the LPGA tour,and the men playing on the PGA tour ?...
Nothing, thats what I do. It's about the competition and there is great competition and skill on the LPGA. Thats why I watch it and follow it closely.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Smile

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
What do you mean "coming our way?"

I have never, ever, not for a second, contended that men and women can compete at the same level.
Blue,

Last chance, either admit you have changed your opinion or I'll do a search of this message board and hang you with your own words.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Not everything has to be about equality,or a battle of the sexes.What's wrong with simply enjoying watching the women play on the LPGA tour,and the men playing on the PGA tour ?...
You hit the nail on the head Saint.

For some reason, gxer looks at everything in life as one big playground battle between the boys and the girls.

Sheesh.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Smile

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
You hit the nail on the head Saint.

For some reason, gxer looks at everything in life as one big playground battle between the boys and the girls.

Sheesh.
Blue,

Out of pity, I am giving you one more chance to admit you have changed your opinion about women and men competing together or I am taking the advanced sort option on this message board and bury you with your own words.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!