Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Courses

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite LPGA Major course
Mission Hills Country Club 2 10.00%
Bulle Rock Golf Course 0 0%
Interlachen Country Club 1 5.00%
Pine Needles Golf and Country Club 3 15.00%
Sunningdale Golf Club 0 0%
Old Course at St. Andrews 8 40.00%
Another one 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Forum Moderator

Favorite LPGA Major Course

Vote for your favorite LPGA major course. Or pick Another one and write in what it is.

This is just based on the course location, design and layout, not on the tournament(s) played there and their outcomes.

To start out I put the courses for the majors for 2007 and 2008 in place. Fill in "Another one" to vote for another one.

This is just for fun and because we ran out of a current poll on the home page.

Last edited by Blue; 04-03-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Forum Moderator

My vote is for Newport Country Club site of the 2006 U.S Women's Open, a beautiful and challenging links style course in America with great ocean views. During the tournament, the two most dramatic holes in my opinion were the par-3 13th played along the ocean where the wind was a definite factor, and the next hole, a long par-4 where player were dealing with strong winds at their backs and a huge cross-bunker.

Official Web Site of the 2006 U.S. Women's Open | Course

edited to add: Been to St. Andrews, Interlachen and Newport.

Last edited by Blue; 04-03-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Contest Statistician

St Andrews.

Ive only been to Bulle Rock (nice course, good logistics for visitors), so only course I can speak about directly,

But how do you vote against St Andrews.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #4

I had to go with St. Andrews for that exact reason. How can you go against the original?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to MoReb51
Definitely The Old Course.

If given the chance to play only one more round of golf anywhere in the world for the rest of my life, I'd have to say St. Andrews.

In Klingon it means:

"Today is a good day to die.
See you in Hades."
MoReb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #6

It's funny that someone else had mentioned it, but my absolute favorite course is the Newport Country Club. Site of the 2006 US Women's Open. The course has HISTORY (one of the oldest in America), location (situated along the Atlantic Ocean), an impressive and gorgeous club house, a long and demanding layout that had all of the elements fitting for the perfect US Open setting. The city of Newport, Rhode Island provided a perfect backdrop of scenery/activities off of the course, as well. Check out the leaderboard and see who finished in the top 10 that year, and you will see that the caliber of players matched the caliber of the course.
RainDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #7

It has to be St Andrews : Old Tom Morris,young Tom Morris,other people called Morris.

Paula Creamer doing cartwheels at the bridge over the Swilcan Burn ;majestic stuff.

Although, I was aghast that they made the Road Hole a par five for the Women's British Open.

That,there,borders on the sacrilegious...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

St. Andrews is running away with it.

Here's another question: Has anyone played on a course where a major tournament has been held (men's or women's)? This would include playing in the major tournament.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #9

Smile

I have played Augusta National eight or nine times, but not in the past twenty or so years, and NOT in the tournament. From all I've read recently I probably might have a difficult time recognizing it from the times I played there. Always played from the members tees, never from the championship tees.

Viva Annika+
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Donating Member

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I have played Augusta National eight or nine times, but not in the past twenty or so years, and NOT in the tournament. From all I've read recently I probably might have a difficult time recognizing it from the times I played there. Always played from the members tees, never from the championship tees.

Viva Annika+
How does one get to play Augusta? Member? Friends of Members? Chat board friends of friends of members? I think I would like to play Augusta over other courses. I know it the best, from the most extensive TV coverage (or viewing by me). So each shot I take I could relate to all the shots I have seen.

I have played at Keller in St. Paul, the 1932 and 1954 PGA was played there. I had to look up the courses for Women's and Men's majors to check. I knew I had not played on the courses for some of the recent majors.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote