Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Courses

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite LPGA Major course
Mission Hills Country Club 2 10.00%
Bulle Rock Golf Course 0 0%
Interlachen Country Club 1 5.00%
Pine Needles Golf and Country Club 3 15.00%
Sunningdale Golf Club 0 0%
Old Course at St. Andrews 8 40.00%
Another one 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
I don't know why but I am playing Bethpage Black Tmr. Haven't fired a shot since last December. This might not have a happy ending. Better hit the range first.
Have fun!
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 47
Bethpage Black

Make it playable but leave some of the teeth.

How long should the forced carries to the fairway be? The men played a forced carry of 240 on the front somewhere.

On 12 there's a bunker in the middle of the fairway. How far from the tee should the carry be for that? It's about 200 to the green if you carry the bunker and it was played as a par 4 in 2002.

Number 5 or 6 is about a 3 club uphill shot and you can't see the green, flag or anything but long grass and a steep hill.

Are there any women who have played it? What yardage did they play and what did they shoot?
tywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #23
Contest Statistician
 
xman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,688
Originally Posted by tywebb View Post
Bethpage Black

Make it playable but leave some of the teeth.

How long should the forced carries to the fairway be? The men played a forced carry of 240 on the front somewhere.

On 12 there's a bunker in the middle of the fairway. How far from the tee should the carry be for that? It's about 200 to the green if you carry the bunker and it was played as a par 4 in 2002.

Number 5 or 6 is about a 3 club uphill shot and you can't see the green, flag or anything but long grass and a steep hill.

Are there any women who have played it? What yardage did they play and what did they shoot?
If I remember correctly they had the course closed that day and I played the Green course.

For the Open they Made Number 1 a long carry and lot of other holes. For normal play they have the fairways much close to the tees. I think normally it would be around 200 yds or less for the first hole.

The par 3 number 3? was to be a long long par 3 like 260+. I watched the practice round on Wed and nobody could hold it on the green. Would have been an interesting hole but because of the rain they had shortened it to under 200 yds.

There aren't "womens" tees, but from the front tees I think it is around 6700 yds. Tough greens. For the pros it's a matter of how narrow the fairways are made and how deep the rough is made.

Next years PGA Barclays will be played there, so lets see how the set it up.

Personaly I would like to see the women play the red course. With some rough and narrowing of the fairways and at 65-6700 yds would be a tough course. #1 460 yds par 4 way downhill and then way uphill with 18" fescue grass on either side.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 47
I've never played any of them though i lived 20 minutes away for about 25 years. Those were the Pre-golf years.

That course looked like none I'd ever seen. Is Craig Currier still there?
tywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Down on the bayou
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
St. Andrews is running away with it.

Here's another question: Has anyone played on a course where a major tournament has been held (men's or women's)? This would include playing in the major tournament.
I have played Pine Needles a few days after each of the US Opens played there, from the tees the ladies used.... lots of fun, and easier than they were saying on tv.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Down on the bayou
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Gonna try to play Bethpage Black before the open this year. Problem is that they have limited tee times before the open.
Hello, X, I used to live on Long Island about one mile from the first tee of the Black Course and must have played it 200 times over the years. It has obviously evolved once the men's Open went there. It's a great course, and you'll find it very demanding, although the greens (mostly) are pretty level. It's a walker's course and no riding carts are allowed.

If you get the chance, take it... It's a US Open course in every respect, and you'll like it, regardless of how you shoot.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Down on the bayou
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by xman5 View Post

Personaly I would like to see the women play the red course. With some rough and narrowing of the fairways and at 65-6700 yds would be a tough course. #1 460 yds par 4 way downhill and then way uphill with 18" fescue grass on either side.
You're right about the Red Course... I always felt it was harder than the Black. It was longer and a par 70. That would be quite a challenge for the women.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
Contest Statistician
 
xman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,688
The Black is certainly much harder and longer then the Red, though they have added length to some of the tees to make the Red longer. When they did the first open at the black they made some improvements too it. At the tips it is probably much longer then when you played it.

I have broken 90 on the Red (ok 89 once and 90 too many times to remember), doubt I could go that on the Black.

I really like the Red, and normally would be my first choice. Number 1 is a killer.

It would be a good spectator course. They had a little talk over the years about bringing a Ladies event to the Island. That would be a good course along with the Red at Eisenhower. They have made a lot of improvements to that course when they played the Senior Event there. They added a lot of length to that course. Two first class courses that you can play for $50.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Down on the bayou
Posts: 583
Smile

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
The Black is certainly much harder and longer then the Red, though they have added length to some of the tees to make the Red longer. When they did the first open at the black they made some improvements too it. At the tips it is probably much longer then when you played it.

I have broken 90 on the Red (ok 89 once and 90 too many times to remember), doubt I could go that on the Black.

I really like the Red, and normally would be my first choice. Number 1 is a killer.

It would be a good spectator course. They had a little talk over the years about bringing a Ladies event to the Island. That would be a good course along with the Red at Eisenhower. They have made a lot of improvements to that course when they played the Senior Event there. They added a lot of length to that course. Two first class courses that you can play for $50.
I always had more trouble with the Red than the Black, even from the back tees.... Never under par on the Red, but some on the Black. Maybe because I played Black more I found it easier. The hardest hole for me on the Black was 5... I don't think I ever had a par there.. lots of bogies (and more) and a couple of birds. 10 and 12 were always very demanding from the back tees, because they were WAY back. 15 was always very hard for me on Red, and of course the first hole... I don't remember but a couple of pars there.

I agree that Eisenhower Red is a fun course, much easier than Bethpage Red, but fun. I think the women would do well there. The LPGA used to have a tournament (I don't remember how many times they played there) at Meadowbrook in Jericho. I had the pleasure of meeting Nancy Lopez there... she was young and soooooooooooo pretty then.... and soooooooooooooooo nice.

Nice talking with you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!