Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Courses

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite LPGA Major course
Mission Hills Country Club 2 10.00%
Bulle Rock Golf Course 0 0%
Interlachen Country Club 1 5.00%
Pine Needles Golf and Country Club 3 15.00%
Sunningdale Golf Club 0 0%
Old Course at St. Andrews 8 40.00%
Another one 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #11

Smile

I was fortunate enough to have had several friends who were members and I was an invited guest. The number of times I played there was over a span of thirty years, so I was not really a "regular". Once you play there you will never forget it; always groomed to perfection, not just for the tournament.

Viva Annika+
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #12

You can't beat The Old Course for history and atmosphere but it has got to be one of the worst for a walking spectator. The double fairways means crossing the course to keep up with a particular group is a right pain and all the greens are in the middle and miles away from the spectators.
CymAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
St. Andrews is running away with it.

Here's another question: Has anyone played on a course where a major tournament has been held (men's or women's)? This would include playing in the major tournament.
Gonna try to play Bethpage Black before the open this year. Problem is that they have limited tee times before the open.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
Contest Statistician

Send a message via Yahoo to DJGOLFER59
I would pick 2 if I could. I love Mission Hills, but I voted other for a very underrated venue. Crooked Stick. Host of the 93' Women's Open and 05' Solheim Cup. Hope they can play on this course for an event sometime soon again.
DJGOLFER59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #15

The Broadmoore Golf here in Colorado Springs. Nice mountain view. Of course that and Cherry Hills are the only 2 that I've been to...so I'm biased because they are the closest to my place!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #16

I've played Priddis Greens - host of the 1999 Cdn. Women's Open and host again of the '09 Cdn. Women's Open - thankfully I was invited by a friend of member (they needed a 4th) because it's a private (very pricey) club. It's a tough course to play (for a non-professional) but even harder to walk during tournaments. Course is in the foothills of the Rockies and there are many hills and valleys and utterly stupid rock/wood chip walkways to climb to even get to the next tee box, but it's a wonderful course. Check it out.... https://www.priddisgreens.com/Default.asp

And no, I'm not going to say what my score was!

DB, I was at Cherry Hills for the last Women's Open that was held there - very nice course and pretty "fan-friendly" - also enjoyed Mission Hills - can't remember the combo of holes, but you could sit on a little knoll and see 3 holes at once - believe it was somewhere on the back 9 - of course, I may have had too many Buds that day and can't remember!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Putter View Post

DB, I was at Cherry Hills for the last Women's Open that was held there - very nice course and pretty "fan-friendly" -
Wow, Putter...we were so closed and yet so far! We probably rubbed shoulders and didn't even know it. I was there everyday from Wednesday to Sunday 'cause that Wednesday, I met Jennifer Rosales' mom and she told me to picked up a bunch of tickets that the LPGA gave them at their hotel.
Where were you when Birdie Kim made that unlikely birdie from the bunker at the 18th hole? I was on grandstand and if anyone taped that telecast...you'll see me if you look close enough. No kidding! I had a 3 second close-up shoot. I'm serious.
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #18

Well DB....we'd already done the beer run, so we were in the stands also. Needless to say it was an amazing shot, but not who I was cheering for! I've been getting a little paranoid since the Birdie Kim win and the Hilary Lunke, but I was also there for the Webb hole-out at the Dinah so that made me feel better!

I'm not sure if whoever I got to tape that US Open still has it or not, but I should check into that....I bet we weren't too far from each other.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 AM   #19

Originally Posted by Putter View Post
I've played Priddis Greens - host of the 1999 Cdn. Women's Open and host again of the '09 Cdn. Women's Open - thankfully I was invited by a friend of member (they needed a 4th) because it's a private (very pricey) club. It's a tough course to play (for a non-professional) but even harder to walk during tournaments. Course is in the foothills of the Rockies and there are many hills and valleys and utterly stupid rock/wood chip walkways to climb to even get to the next tee box, but it's a wonderful course. Check it out.... https://www.priddisgreens.com/Default.asp

Nice looking. Reminds me somewhat of another course I watched a PGA Canadian Tour event at, only it was some time ago and I forget its name. I do remember the course was brand new at the time, very hilly and vivid scenic with a raw cut feel to it, and located close to the Rockies.

I can't remember who won, but he was well known.... what I remember more was who lost, (he is on the old guys tour now and now well respected for his golf). He was so far ahead it seemed obvious he could not lose, yet the last day he crashed and burned like I never seen a golfer do, (except in England), and I remember his face got redder and redder. Unbelievable collapse, I felt so sorry for him.

One of my early days watching golf on TV, and the course and play of the players in that event was one of those times that hooked me ever deeper into this game of supreme strategy. I never played golf, life got in the way, but I never stopped watching on TV.

What was his name.... on the tip of my tongue. Ah I got it, Tom Kite.

Anyways thanks for the link to Priddis Greens, brought back memories of good times and sunshine, when I was young and foolish. :-)

Last edited by greentee; 04-05-2009 at 05:42 AM.
greentee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
St. Andrews is running away with it.

Here's another question: Has anyone played on a course where a major tournament has been held (men's or women's)? This would include playing in the major tournament.
I don't know why but I am playing Bethpage Black Tmr. Haven't fired a shot since last December. This might not have a happy ending. Better hit the range first.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote