Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA Tournaments > Courses

View Poll Results: Was Carnoustie Set Up Too Easy
YES 14 93.33%
NO 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Forum Moderator

Was Carnoustine Set Up Too Easy?

Poll of the week:

Carnoustie was set up over 900 yards shorter for the women at the British Open than for the men, resulting in record scores.

Was this too easy or a good way to give all the women in the field a chance to be competitive?

Vote yes or no and defend your choice.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #2

Based on the comments of the players, the weather turned out to be much more docile than expected, certainly for those with early tee times. Looking at the scores in the 4th round to this point, again most of the lower scores were posted earlier. I don't know what the weather is now, but the scores would indicate that the course is playing close to even par for those still on the course.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #3

Obviously, the course setup was too easy, there were 44 eagles on the 3 par 5's for the event but the event was won by the best golfer. The real negative and one that will last until the WBO is held at Carnoustie again, is that hard core golf fans hated the easy setup.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Forum Moderator

What they did to the par-5 6th and 14th, chopping the yardage down well under 500 yards should have been insulting to the top women in the world. And the scores showed it was. Voted yes.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #5

I agree, too easy. Out of 68 players, 64 shot +4 or better. A +4 score should have gotten you in the vicinity of the top5 and not 59th place. Was the course too easy or too short, or is that the same thing?
jumong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Donating Member

I think there is some more to the story. It was discussed quite a bit on air, but they did not really layout how the course would play if someone moved the tees back. For example, if you move the tees too far back, then some of the bunkers would not have been in play for 90% of the women (so might only punish the long hitters?). So I would have liked a graphical discussion on the TV broadcast. They could have used their fancy graphics to show the hazards, angles, distances and the like. It might be that the course was totally set up wrong, and lengthening would have not been any issue. But I suspect there was some thought about where they put the tees. So besides keeping the bunkers in play they could have been hedging against the weather? But if weather was a factor, they seemed to know before a round what the weather was for that day and could move the tees. Crafter mentioned though they could not really move them back once set up (stands behind the tees?) - not sure where she was coming from.

Maybe they didn't want to be famous for beating up on the LPGA/LET players? VandeVelde might be enough fame? I would like to read more, so if anyone finds a good analysis please post.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

This article quotes the greenskeeper explaining the setup:
John Philp, the head greenkeeper at Carnoustie for more than a quarter of a century now and the man who jealously guards the course's reputation, diplomatically hinted that the sharpest claws had been removed.

"It's easy to go too far on this course," he admitted. "We've never had the women professionals here before and we don't really know what a reasonable length of course for them is.

"It is maybe on the easy side for these top players because there's plenty run on the fairways and the greens are pretty good. We're not concerned about the winning score and if the wind gets up 6500 is definitely reasonable.

"A whole lot depends on the weather conditions and I think they were conscious of people struggling if the weather turned. There's maybe been a feeling that Carnoustie is 'the tough one' and they don't want to risk it."
Full article: The Courier - Carnoustie tamed for visit of Women's British Open
Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Donating Member

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
This article quotes the greenskeeper explaining the setup:
John Philp, the head greenkeeper at Carnoustie for more than a quarter of a century now and the man who jealously guards the course's reputation, diplomatically hinted that the sharpest claws had been removed.

"It's easy to go too far on this course," he admitted. "We've never had the women professionals here before and we don't really know what a reasonable length of course for them is.

"It is maybe on the easy side for these top players because there's plenty run on the fairways and the greens are pretty good. We're not concerned about the winning score and if the wind gets up 6500 is definitely reasonable.

"A whole lot depends on the weather conditions and I think they were conscious of people struggling if the weather turned. There's maybe been a feeling that Carnoustie is 'the tough one' and they don't want to risk it."
Full article: The Courier - Carnoustie tamed for visit of Women's British Open
Thanks for finding this.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

I used Google.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I used Google.
Wow! there's a surprise.

The course was definitely too easy as far as the par 5's were concerned. Had to vote yes.