Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Ten Questions for the 2017 Season

As we approach the beginning of the 2017 LPGA season, there are a number of questions that I am looking forward to getting the answers to. In reverse order, here are my top ten:

TONY'S LPGA REPORT: Ten Question for the 2017 Season
tonj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

10- Can veteran USA players Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer, Brittany Lincicome, and Morgan Pressel bounce back from very disappointing 2016 seasons?

Doubtful, though I give a possible to Pressel and Lincicome.

9- Can Nelly Korda join her sister and become a major player on the LPGA tour?

No.

8- Will Gerina Piller (who has 31 career top ten finishes), finally break through for her first LPGA victory?

No. She should play well but I think that window has passed. She had too many chances last year.

7- Was Na Yeon Choi's disastrous second half of the season the beginning of the end for her, or does she still have some good golf left?

Some game left, but needs to get it together.

6- Is Nasa Hatoaka, the 17 year old sensation from Japan (she will be 18 in 2 days) who was the first amateur to win a major championship on the JLPGA tour, the next Lydia Ko?

I'll say no since I never heard if her.

5- Now that Lydia Ko is hearing footsteps from Ariya Jutanugarn, will she be able to maintain her #1 spot in the Rolex Rankings throughout the year?

Yes, I don't see Ariya doing it again.

4- Have we seen the last of Inbee Park? If not, will she resemble the great player we have watched for so many years?

Injuries can be very tricky in Golf. It can force you to change your swing and you may never get back to where it was. I'll say no. She was able to show greatness at the Olympics, but was that just one last grasp since the injuris still linger.

3- Can anyone challenge Sung Hyun Park for the Louise Suggs Rolex Rookie of the Year award?

To tell the truth I don't even know who are the rookies except for Nelly Korda. Maybe she can.

2- Can the USA retain the Solheim Cup that they won with a record breaking comeback in 2015, and continue to have both the Solheim and International Crown trophies in their possession?

Yes, but it is so unpredictable. That's what makes it fun.

1- Can Ariya Jutanugarn duplicate or better her 2016 season in which she won 5 times, won her first major championship, won the 1 million dollar CME bonus, won the player of the year award, and won more money than anyone else on tour?

I don't see it happening.

Last edited by xman5; 01-12-2017 at 03:52 PM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

Regarding #7 (NYC). Most of the posters have either ignored or were unaware of the back pain that Choi started experiencing at Walmart. She tried playing after that, but the results showed that her game was affected by her back pain. She took a number of weeks off to rehab then came back (and shouldn't have). If she has been continuing to rehab, I expect her to do much better this season.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

Xman...where were you living in 2016....under a rock on a beach on Long Island?

WTF.
Sung Hyun Park...as a non member .....easily made top 40 LPGA earnings to qualify for a 2017 card in seven 2016 events.
She finished T6, T3 and T2 at the ANA, USWO & Evian and played in the final group on Sunday at the Kia, USWO and Evian...and she bombs the ball.

Maybe to remember her...her nickname is the Terminator....In Gee Chun....Dumbo.

Nasa is a big star from Japan.

You gotta get out of your Yank bubble and fandom....the Asian Reign of Terror is not going away.....if not for HD TV at the USWO......you Mericans would only have one LPGA win last year.

If not for the Pac Rim and their money and sponsorships...the LPGA would simply be a Symetra tour with ropes.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Contest Statistician

Not sure how I missed Park. Just did not remember.

Oh and she would have been 22 on the LPGA money list.

I guess she would be the favorite for ROY.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #6

It's that time of year again!!

10- Can veteran USA players Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer, Brittany Lincicome, and Morgan Pressel bounce back from very disappointing 2016 seasons?

No.Because they are all shite.

The Donald might be looking to make America great again,but there's no way these four are going to make American women's golf great again.

I wouldn't say her sister was a major player on tour.

Korda the Younger might get a top ten finish somewhere.

There will probably be lots of instagram pics of her with her sister,eating food,all that kind of shit the media coverage of women's golf thrives on.

8- Will Gerina Piller (who has 31 career top ten finishes), finally break through for her first LPGA victory?

Probably not.

But you never know.

7- Was Na Yeon Choi's disastrous second half of the season the beginning of the end for her, or does she still have some good golf left?

I hope not,but it's not looking good for her.

Last year she missed more cuts than in the rest of her LPGA career combined.

6- Is Nasa Hatoaka, the 17 year old sensation from Japan (she will be 18 in 2 days) who was the first amateur to win a major championship on the JLPGA tour, the next Lydia Ko?

She might be the first Nasa Hatoaka instead.

She'll be very,very good ;though it might take a little while for her to get acclimated to the Tour.

She'll also be ignored by the media in favour of those golfers who instagram food pictures.

5- Now that Lydia Ko is hearing footsteps from Ariya Jutanugarn, will she be able to maintain her #1 spot in the Rolex Rankings throughout the year?

It might flip-flop early in the season,but I expect Ko to be #1 at the end of the year.

4- Have we seen the last of Inbee Park? If not, will she resemble the great player we have watched for so many years?

I think her best days are behind her.

3- Can anyone challenge Sung Hyun Park for the Louise Suggs Rolex Rookie of the Year award?

The ROY is in the bag.

There will only be a tiny handful who can challenge her for the much bigger awards.

2- Can the USA retain the Solheim Cup that they won with a record breaking comeback in 2015, and continue to have both the Solheim and International Crown trophies in their possession?

No.

They can't.

It's coming home on the European team plane.

1- Can Ariya Jutanugarn duplicate or better her 2016 season in which she won 5 times, won her first major championship, won the 1 million dollar CME bonus, won the player of the year award, and won more money than anyone else on tour?

I'd be quite surprised if she repeated all of that...
Old 01-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

They all can. They're all young and healthy. Will they? Lincicome and Pressel have the best odds. Wie and Creamer are probably toast.

Yes, she can, though probably not in 2017.

The odds are very much in her favor.

Korean players tend to have shorter careers than their peers from other countries, for a variety of reasons. NYC is turning 30 this year. She may be done.

No, she is not.

Yes. She won't dominate the way she did in 2015 and early 2016, but it will probably be enough to hold on to her big lead in the rankings.

We haven't seen the end of her altogether, but she seems to have accomplished all of her goals on the LPGA Tour.

Yes, she can be challenged. Will she be? That's not what you asked.

Yes, the USA can. Will they? Likely not. With Caroline Masson, Carlota Ciganda and Charley Hull all getting their first LPGA Tour wins last fall, Europe has the momentum.

No, she will not win her first major championship again. In other news, she could easily win five times again and win more than one major. But after accomplishing all of that in one year, the question is, does she still have the hunger to do more?

Last edited by Blue; 01-18-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Contest Statistician

No, she is not.

I agree. Why does it seem that the Japanese players don't have anywhere near the success that Korean players have had on the LPGA your?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
Donating Member

Paula, Morgan and Michelle seem to be unable to play with the best. Brittany has the length and is not as wild as Michelle, and will appear on leaderboards on occasion. I am not expert enough to know why.

Not in 2017.

I hope so. But I have doubts. Again the field is getting better every year.

I heard late in the year she had back injuries last year. I don't know if golfers can really recover from back injuries.

I have not heard of her, so I guess I will watch out for her.

Lydia, for some reason, changed her swing twice recently and then got rid of her caddy. I am not sure why players at the top of the game change their swings. I gather there was some flaw, such as a pull hook, she was trying to eliminate. As a result she is no longer ahead of the pack. So I think she will stay #1, but only because Ariya seems to have lost her swing too.

I think Inbee will hang it up and start having kids. She is in the hall of fame, won the Olympic gold. And this nagging injury. I think she should go out on top and she is there now. I hope she can see these facts and go out on top.

Too many players I don't know of to comment.

I would say no.

Before she went on her run (and even a bit during the run) her flaw was a duck hook. But during her streak this hook was mostly under control, and when it appeared she got lucky. But in the last tournaments I saw, she was hooking again and not in the hunt. Maybe she can continue but I think this flaw might have come back.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #10
Contest Statistician

Brittany putting #10 to the test already.