Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #1

Priority List Category?

What exactly is a priority list category on the LPGA? I seen on the Rookie list that this priority list is for each player, from numbers 1 to 20 are indicated, but as yet is meaningless to me. I have looked over their web site, and could not find any information on it. I tried their search and got no info there either.

Anyone know?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

It's all too confusing. Basically a full field tournament has about 140 players before the cut. There are more then 140 LPGA members that are eligable to play. Also not everyone wants to play each week. So everyone is ranked in priority order.

It then gets complicated, but basically the top 120 or so (whatever the exact number is ?) gets to play any tournament they want. The rest of the spaces are filled by the lower numbers on the list. Again not everyone plays every week. That is also why you see an alternate list when you look at the field for an event. If someone drops out, the next alternate takes there place.

Basically play well (money list) and you do not have to worry about it. It is when you get to be 100 or so on the money list at the end of the year when you have to worry about playing next year.

I am sure someone can explain this better.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #3

Here is the link to the priority listing of players.
http://www.lpga.com/content/09PRIORI...ERSION1.24.pdf
cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
LPGA Caddie

They were trying to get away from exempt and non-exempt, so they created a priority list where every player becomes a number and that is the order of merit shall we say. We'll it was supposed to be created I think for two reasons, 1. To stop girls from playing a couple events then saying I'm hurt and being able to return in the same position as they left. 2. To try to keep players who wanted to lets say relive their youth and come back years after they won an event and take spots from the new younger players. (wont name names). The list is so confusing no one really understands it so Im going to assume they will revamp it better next year. No one is really wrong in this list because the way it was written, but it is causing a bit of a stir out there. hope this helps
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #5

Thanks people. Totto I don't think we are in Kansas anymore. :-)

Cougar - printed the list out, will study.

gt