Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #11

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
I can't help but think that this is a direct result of the poor attendance they had this year at the ANA Inspiration. If Creamer and the rest of the LPGA thought they already had their own special tournament, they wouldn't need to try and piggy back off the success of The Masters. The LPGA needs to work on boosting that event, which may include the need to move it from Rancho Mirage.
I don't doubt what you say about attendance in Ranch Mirage. I brought this up once a few years ago and people bit my head off saying that attendance was well over 100,000 for the tournament days. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it probably isn't 100,000, maybe not even 50,000. Does anyone have any figures from credible sources or theories on the drop in attendance?
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #12

Good post, Centurion.....well thought out.

Most people don't realize that the Masters course is NOT the same course the members play. The normal, or members course is shorter and the greens slower. Even the member tee boxes are relocated, and the tournament tee boxes are seeded over.

I doubt that the LPGA could use the title "MASTERS" as I've been told that the name is copyrighted in the golf world.

Paula's fortunate the ladies don't play that course because the way she's playing she wouldn't be able to qualify, anyway.

Pax, Kidz
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #13
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Good post, Centurion.....well thought out.

Most people don't realize that the Masters course is NOT the same course the members play. The normal, or members course is shorter and the greens slower. Even the member tee boxes are relocated, and the tournament tee boxes are seeded over.

I doubt that the LPGA could use the title "MASTERS" as I've been told that the name is copyrighted in the golf world.

Paula's fortunate the ladies don't play that course because the way she's playing she wouldn't be able to qualify, anyway.

Pax, Kidz
Isn't this true for many PGA and LPGA tournaments? When an LPGA tournament came to a course I've played a few times, the setup was unrecognizable -- tees moved back, rough up to my knees (it felt like), greens mowed fast.

The Masters logos are registered trademarks but use of the term "Masters" is not restricted. This is why there was, until a few years ago, an "Evian Masters".

Last edited by Blue; 04-27-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #14

Paula should have made that request right after she won at Oakmont. At least then the dude would have known who she was.

Now if Annika voiced the opinion at least that would have had some weight and I greatly doubt the response would be "Annika who?"
Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
Forum Moderator

Reportedly, Mike Whan has made the request every year, even before AGNC had female members.

Steve Flesch on LPGA Tour event at Augusta National | Golf.com

Augusta National gives LPGA commish hope it may host women's event | PGA.com

http://www.augusta.com/masters/story...ens-tournament
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #16

Originally Posted by cleo View Post
Paula should have made that request right after she won at Oakmont. At least then the dude would have known who she was.

Now if Annika voiced the opinion at least that would have had some weight and I greatly doubt the response would be "Annika who?"
Where have you been Cleo? I miss you buddy!
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #17

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Where have you been Cleo? I miss you buddy!
I still check out the site but since my two favorites (annika and paula) are no longer big news I don't have the same interest.

by the way , maybe Paula was looking for some publicity now that her golf game isn't gererating any headlines.