Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Donating Member

How do LPGA Caddies make a living?

The latest Golf Digest focuses on how much money people in / around golf (not players) make in salary. They listed the salary of a hypothetical caddy for the 40th money winner on the LPGA (which would be Moria J. or Cristie Kerr range of $450,000) at $53,000. I have heard that caddies have to find their own way to the event and pay their own lodging, and their salary is a percentage of their player's winnings. But Cristie Kerr and Moria and most of the top 40 players, play around the globe on the LPGA. I think I see many (most?) with their standard caddy on these Asia swings. So $53,000 of uncertain money would not really be reasonable for such expensive travel.

So I am thinking what I have "heard" must somehow be in error. For example, if a player wants their standard caddy in Asia, do they foot some of the travel?

I do recall that Lydia fired her US based caddy before (hopefully) and Asian swing, and I saw she picked up a local caddy. And possibly the Korean and Japanese players have an Asia based caddy and a US based one?

Hopefully you guys will have a better understanding of this financial arrangement.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #2

Generally speaking....there is no standard pay scale.....but here is what I believe as standard on the LPGA

Many loops pay their own expenses on domestic events. A loop might make $600-$1000 base per week.....likely less......if the pro doesn't make the cut.
On weekly earning:
10% for a win
7% for a top 10
5% all other

Do the math and that's how you get to the approx $53,000 for Kerr or Moriya.

I gotta believe for the Asia Swing....the pros pay for their loops airfare as a minimum.
On the Asia swing....the pro's expenses are paid for....airfare (often biz class) & hotels, etc.....I'm not sure if the pro's get additional money for a 'companion'.

I've gotta believe the premier LPGA pros pay for all airfare, even domestic events, for their loops. They might even pay for their hotels....but I'm not talking about paying for them to stay at a Four Seasons hotel.

Lydia fired Jason Hamilton after the Hana....but Jason was hired by Hana Jang shortly afterwards...and looped for her when Hana skipped Blue Bay and played the Sime Darby.
I would believe if Jason didn't find another bag...Lydia would have paid for his flight home after the Hana....but ya never know if Tina would have paid.....lol.

No....the LPGA pros don't have a domestic loop and then an Asia Swing loop.
If a pro chooses not to bring their 'regular' loop to Asia....they'll often hire a local loop or get a member to volunteer to loop....many of the courses play are privates.

Lydia won the 2012, 2013 CWO and 2014 Swing Skirts will a local club member on her bag.

I think pros like Gulbis and Creamer (who have good endorsements) might have paid there loops, Colin and Greg, a small base to keep their loyalty.
Just like Woods pays Lacava a salary to keep his mouth shut and loyalty....but Joe said after Couples he only wanted to loop P/T....otherwise no way Lacava is Tiger's loop.

Colin bailed on the Pink Diva and will loop for Sung Hyun "The Terminator" Park in 2017......I'm 95% sure she'll be the LPGA 2017 ROY.

Do the math....the LPGA journeymen loops pretty well live on the poverty line...unless they have a good gig back in their hometown on off weeks.
Loops are often hired and fired by the LPGA pros.
If a journeyman loop really wanted to work hard and make steady money they could make some OK coin...especially at places like Bandon.
If they did two double bags a day...that's about $400+ day....and cash ....so less income tax assuming they don't claim all their money earned.

Last edited by Mr3putt; 01-15-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Contest Statistician

My understanding is that a caddie gets a straight fee for the loop. Now obviously a top player will pay more then a low ranked player.

Secondly it is customary for the caddie to get a percentage for a top 10.

10 % for a win and a sliding scale % down to #10.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
My understanding is that a caddie gets a straight fee for the loop. Now obviously a top player will pay more then a low ranked player.

Secondly it is customary for the caddie to get a percentage for a top 10.

10 % for a win and a sliding scale % down to #10.
Ya....but that straight fee per week will vary.
These gals know the journeymen loops are fairly desperate and will negotiate.
In 2013....bravedave and I had drinks with a loop....he said Vicky Hurst's mom was nickel and diming a loop for the weekly fee.

Let's face it...the gals treat the loops like dirt....hiring and firing at will....but the loops know what they are in for....otherwise..... they'd stay at home and work at Walmart.

Not sure if I understand you.
So are you saying a LPGA loop get nothing for a pro finishing lower that 10th position?.......and this sliding scale is linear and goes down to 1% to the 10th position?

Do you believe this is the same for the PGA?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

I suggest that we get Cougar to answer this question. From my understanding when I followed the tour in the late 1980's until the early 2000's and was friends with one of the tour caddies, you all have bits and pieces correct. At that time, many of the regular caddies who weren't blessed with a top-20 golfer, would travel together to US tournaments by minivan, etc. and sleep 4 to a room at the tournament.
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
Donating Member

Thanks for the comments so far. Another question popped into my head. Sometimes the announcers will say the players are staying at the course hotel (or another sponsor hotel). So it sounds like the pros are getting free rooms. Any chance that the caddies also get free rooms (there, or a sister property, maybe sharing rooms)?
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
Y
Not sure if I understand you.
So are you saying a LPGA loop get nothing for a pro finishing lower that 10th position?.......and this sliding scale is linear and goes down to 1% to the 10th position?

Do you believe this is the same for the PGA?
My scale may be a little off.

Got this from a golf site. Others say the same. I assume that LPGA is similar.

Caddie’s Earnings

A caddie for a professional golfer typically earns 5 percent to 10 percent of the players’ winnings, on top of any salary he’s paid. Former PGA Tour caddie Alfred “Rabbit” Dyer says that caddies may earn salaries of $2,000 per week, while “Forbes” magazine reports that PGA Tour caddies typically receive about $1,000 each week. The magazine said in a 2007 article that Steve Williams, then caddying for Tiger Woods, earned $1.27 million in 2006.
Variable Percentages

The percentage of the player’s winnings paid to the caddie may depend on how well the golfer plays. According to a 2003 article in the “Sydney Morning Herald,” the caddie’s standard cut at that time was 10 percent if the player won a PGA Tour event, 8 percent if the player finished in second through 10th place, and about 6 percent for any other finish. In a 2007 article, “Forbes” put the percentages as 10 percent for a victory, 7 percent for a top 10 finish other than a victory, and 5 percent if the golfer finished 11th or lower. Players who don’t make the cut in a tournament -- roughly half the field -- don’t receive any winnings, so there’s nothing to split with the caddie.

Everything that I seem to read says 10-5 % spread from win to cut.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #8

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
In a 2007 article, “Forbes” put the percentages as 10 percent for a victory, 7 percent for a top 10 finish other than a victory, and 5 percent if the golfer finished 11th or lower. Players who don’t make the cut in a tournament -- roughly half the field -- don’t receive any winnings, so there’s nothing to split with the caddie.
Xman
This is what I said in post #2.

Oh ya.
Can you do me a favor....can you get my "Make America Great Again" hat that I've been wearing proudly when I play golf up here.....autographed for me by the GREAT GREAT man at this year's USWO you are attending....I'd very much appreciate it.

It looks like the below when it comes in the mail to you.....I bought it on eBay for only $3.28 US......and free shipping from China too.....there are plenty more if anyone is interested.
But I made a mistake and should have bought the red one...but I have more golf apparel that would compliment black.

I'm envious of you Yanks that you have a superior leader...idiot Canucks voted in lefty, softy Justin....they might as well have voted in the other clown Justin....Beiber.

Thank you

Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #9

Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
Thanks for the comments so far. Another question popped into my head. Sometimes the announcers will say the players are staying at the course hotel (or another sponsor hotel). So it sounds like the pros are getting free rooms. Any chance that the caddies also get free rooms (there, or a sister property, maybe sharing rooms)?
For the limited field Asia swing events....the LPGA's expenses are paid for...hotel, food and airfare (and most often a business class seat).....I don't know if they also reimburse a loop's expenses too....I'm thinking no...as you see some use a local loop in Asia....e.g. Mi Hyang Lee was hiring local loops vs. dragging a US caddie to Asia in the fall 2016 Asia swing.

A WRX member who has a daughter as a LPGA rookie this year....he said.... the gals were not comp'd for rooms at the Atlantis resort at the recent Pure Silk event...Atlantis is expensive...so she along with others were sharing rooms....the top tier pros need not worry so much about these expenses....so some will elect to room solo.

There aren't as many housing billets available at the Pure Silk.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
I'm envious of you Yanks that you have a superior leader...idiot Canucks voted in lefty, softy Justin....they might as well have voted in the other clown Justin....Beiber.
I don't care for him but I am getting a little tired of everyone putting down Justin Beiber.

Most likeable of the 3.