Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #1

Golf Digest May Issue Cover

I think Golf Digest is losing the plot. Check out the cover of the May issue.

They've had Holly Saunders in a provocative pose, then Paulina Gretsky...now this.

Cover Shoot: Lexi Thompson, Michelle Wie, Stacy Lewis, And Cheyenne Woods In Our Fitness Issue : Golf Digest
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #2

At least she's a proper golfer,LoJo.

And,unlike,their usual coverage of female golf 'personalities',she doesn't look like a cheap slapper.

I don't know what the rest of the photos are like,but I can't see anything overtly suggestive or titillating about that cover shot.

This is the first I've heard about it,but I gather it's created a bit of controversy on social media sites. I don't really understand why. I just see a rather stern-looking,young woman who's just completed a workout.(Even though she hadn't just completed a workout and had probably spent three hours in make-up prior to it.)

I thought the ESPN nudie LPGA thing smacked of desperation,this is in a much more benign category.

If I was a woman,I'd find the headline 'Lexi and the women who outdrive you' far more offensive than a picture of Ms Thompson.

It manages to alienate its female readership and patronise them at the same time...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #3

First off, Saint....can you move this to a regular thread? I didn't intend to post it in the main page News section. Sorry, and thanks.

I'm not offended by the photo, but I am sick of Golf Digest's repeated attempts to titillate (good word in this instance) with their sexy covers. A month ago it was the head of Rory on the chiseled torso of Michelangelo's David. I subscribe to the magazine for golf news, not for stories centered around the primary purpose of doing a photo shoot.

The Annual ESPN Body Issue is just that....an issue devoted to showing elite athletes, with great bodies in a tasteful nude pose. It's not some made up article about getting fit and "Oh, let's put a provocative photo on the cover so people will read it."

But, I guess GD has accomplished their goal....getting people to read and/or discuss their magazine.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #4
Administrator

I thought you had stepped up to be the first one to use the news section Lojo, oh well hopefully someone post some news.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

I'm glad you're upset for the right reason, Lojo. It has created a firestorm over social media, and there appear to be two sides of the outrage. One side are people saying there shouldn't be pictures of provocative looking women on the cover of the magazine, though when you dig deeper into their argument, what they're really saying is "there shouldn't be ANY women on the cover of the magazine." The other side is that it's sexist, which, come on. I'm a flag waving feminist, but a woman looking sexy, especially an athlete who has trained her body to be in top physical form, is not sexist.

In the end, what this picture, and what the Rory picture is trying to convey is that professional golfers are athletes. That's a huge change from what it was like close to ten years ago.

Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
Forum Moderator

If Lexi wants to pose shirtless, that's her choice, though it's a shame Golf Digest has to stoop this low on all of their covers. It's not a bad photo and it's more tasteful IMHO than Michelle Wie's NIKE logo-plastered cover from last year. Surprisingly, there's no Red Bull logo and only a subtle Puma logo on the glove.

And at least Lexi is a real golfer and the defending champion this week, not a TV personality (Sonders) or a model who happens to be dating a golfer (Gretzky).

I am more perturbed by the headline "...the women who outdrive you" with the subtext: "Heh, heh, you're getting beaten by a girl."

Last edited by Blue; 04-03-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

They should have chosen a more attractive pro. Lexi is all arms and legs is you ever see her in person and her voice is quite annoying. The cover looks like the cover of Maxim. Serena Williams posed nude a while back for a magazine but Serena Williams has never catered to give off an "image." I'm not a prude but you can't say we're all about inspiring little girls and then have a player pose like this. How does this differ from the "Body Issue?" None of the players in the issue have tried to come off as wholesome and none of them were "barely legal."Furthermore, the cover really has nothing to do with fitness. At my local gym you would never see a woman walking around with a shirt around her like that. I guess all the old guys at the local muni will be keeping a bunch of these in the lockerrooms and bathroom stalls and creepy old men at LPGA events will have copies of these next to 8 year old girls with Girls Golf hats asking Lexi to sign them.

Last edited by fetucinialfokcu; 04-03-2015 at 08:50 AM.
fetucinialfokcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
First off, Saint....can you move this to a regular thread? I didn't intend to post it in the main page News section. Sorry, and thanks.
I was asleep at the wheel and it was already moved when I saw your request.

Although,having a picture of Lexi with her baps out on the front page of this site could have been a useful tool for attracting new members. *runs away*

The Annual ESPN Body Issue is just that....an issue devoted to showing elite athletes, with great bodies in a tasteful nude pose.
Which of those categories does Christina Kim fit in ?

It's not some made up article about getting fit and "Oh, let's put a provocative photo on the cover so people will read it."

But, I guess GD has accomplished their goal....getting people to read and/or discuss their magazine.
I still don't think it was provocative,but I understand a lot will and I fully realise why Golf Digest did it. I don'tagree with it,but they know the quickest way to attract viewers,readers,column inches,etc is to use something 'controversial'.

GD will eventually transform into a comic,where golf 'personalities' (clothing optional) will feature in a cartoon strip layout complete with speech bubbles and lots of exclamation marks.

You know,because people don't like to bother with lots of words,any more...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by fetucinialfokcu View Post
They should have chosen a more attractive pro.
You may want to get an eye exam.

Last edited by xman5; 04-03-2015 at 09:39 AM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I am more perturbed by the headline "...the women who outdrive you" with the subtext: "Heh, heh, you're getting beaten by a girl."
Exactly my thoughts.

That sums up what Golf Digest thinks of its female readership.

It was so incredibly insulting and condescending that if I were a woman I'd have cancelled my subscription right there...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X