Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Lydia Ko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Question Swing Changes?

The author of this article says that Lydia points to Wiesy for the reason why she is switching from a fade drive to a draw drive, more distance.

If the author of the article is not full of you know what, Lydia is taking a big chance in switching to a draw.
-----------------------------------
Ko cited Michelle Wie as a player who drives a long ball and plays a draw in justifying her changes.

Hamilton: Lydia Ko flirting with a swing failure | Stuff.co.nz
Old 05-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Contest Statistician

The important thing is in the words that are not clear. Is she adding a draw to her game or replacing her fade with a draw, making that the dominant shot?

Replacing would be insane. Adding is ok unless you screw up her natural swing. Also putting thoughts in your head will you are swinging is not a good idea.

I don't know why, but they say a draw is longer then a fade. Of course you could always hit it straight.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
The important thing is in the words that are not clear. Is she adding a draw to her game or replacing her fade with a draw, making that the dominant shot?

Replacing would be insane. Adding is ok unless you screw up her natural swing. Also putting thoughts in your head will you are swinging is not a good idea.

I don't know why, but they say a draw is longer then a fade. Of course you could always hit it straight.
With Guy Wilson, her coach up until last year, Lydia worked for years on hitting a straight ball from the tee and she did it as well as it could be done, according to computer testing. Hitting the ball straight with a little bit of fade bias from time to time, if the ball is not hit dead straight, is a great way to drive a golf ball and keeps the golfer who can do it, out of trouble.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Annika play a basic straight shot from the tee? IMO, if Annika played a basic straight shot from the tee, then that basic shot should be good enough for Lydia as well.