Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > Specific LPGA Players > Lydia Ko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #21

Well, she's not stupid, I'm sure she knows all that. She's old enough now to realize that she got lucky concerning her costs to play the game.

There's a lot of LPGA players that could talk to Salas about sacrifice - not just Ko!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #22

I've now read the interview where she, according to gxer, shouts 'I DON'T CARE etc', except, of course, she didn't. She was asked about turning pro, she said it was a big decision one which she would have input to, but that her parents would primarily discuss, also the NZ golf people. As she said she is only 16 and it's a big decision, that once she turns pro it becomes a job and every shot counts. The interviewer asked her about not having won $600k in Canada the last two years and she said as she knew she knew she wasnt' able to take the money it didn't matter. Then came the question about didn't she care about it.

I think she answered that question quite well the first time. It had nothing to do with turning pro. I'm sure she's very aware of the family sacrifices which have been made so she can play golf, though she's been fortunate enough to find someone who has been able to put $$ her way so she can travel and play. Ir sounds to me as if she's very well aware what turning pro at this stage would mean after all I'm sure she's seen what's happened with Wie, Thompson and Ariya, whether she'll be persuaded to against her wishes is another matter.

Isn't being uprooted to another country and culture at an early age leaving most of the family behind a sacrifice? Her schooling has been disrupted as a result of touring, but given the education laws she'd be doing school work on tour with distance education. She may or may not be able to go on to college. She's been able to do this, but you can bet she's also been told about paying back. No sacrifice, no pressure.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #23

It has been reported that Lydia's parents do not work. Interesting isn't it?
Obviously they are not wealthy because if they were there would be no need to get involved with "Sir David".
At least, when Wie was a "yute" both her parents had jobs and were skilled in begging, borrowing, etc. from family members and friends to help cover Wie's golf expenses.
In comparison, Lydia and her parents are an odd ball situation to say the least.
IMO, the sooner Lydia turns pro and stops being beholden to "Sir David" the better off she will be.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #24

Her's some more information on Lydia turning pro. According to the writer, Lydia is prodding her parents to allow her to turn pro. Not sure that's true but he wrote it. He also mentioned Sir David
------------------------------------------
Ko has confided to those close to her that through the summer she has grown more comfortable and confident that she is ready to play the tour. She has played 10 LPGA events this year, with her victory in Canada among five top-10 finishes. Ko’s prodding led her family to begin more earnestly researching what the LPGA would require to grant Ko a waiver
------------------------------------------------
According to Golfweek, Ko’s travel expenses are “largely funded by Sir David Levene, an elderly businessman in New Zealand whose six-figure donations are funneled through the national program.” Ko wears a Srixon hat because she is supported by the New Zealand Golf Federation, which features a development program funded by Srixon.
-------------------------------------

When Will Lydia Ko Turn Pro and Ask to Join the LPGA | Golf Channel
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #25

This was published last year, but still interesting as are the links to NZ golf:
Lydia Ko makes history, again. Is Ko an “amateur” in name only? | Golf Expectations

They clearly have several levels in their Development Program. She's certainly paid them back by becoming the highest ranked NZ golfer ever. I suppose the closest the US get is golf scholarships to college, though they are limited in what they can do.

One thing, I'd like to think she will remain under the NZ flag as she is a NZ citizen, but I wonder if she will. Assuming she continues to be successful it would pay them back for the faith, and $$, they've invested in her.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #26

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
This was published last year, but still interesting as are the links to NZ golf:
Lydia Ko makes history, again. Is Ko an “amateur” in name only? | Golf Expectations

They clearly have several levels in their Development Program. She's certainly paid them back by becoming the highest ranked NZ golfer ever. I suppose the closest the US get is golf scholarships to college, though they are limited in what they can do.

One thing, I'd like to think she will remain under the NZ flag as she is a NZ citizen, but I wonder if she will. Assuming she continues to be successful it would pay them back for the faith, and $$, they've invested in her.
That was a well written article and I agree with this comment from it.
-------------------------------------------------------
Is Lydia Ko an amateur in name only? I say yes because she plays like a professional, she travels and competes worldwide like a professional, and she has “financial support” that mirrors the economic benefit to cover travel costs that a sponsor deal might cover (without the official sponsor).
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #27

She's had support from her national golf organisation, the same as Australian amateurs do, though NZ is fortunate there is a private backer too. The Aussies don't have a 'name sponsor' like Srixon, but I know they compete in a variety of overseas competitions. Does Spain have a similar program given the number of Spanish players now doing well? Did Sweden once Lotte won the US Open? Players from a country which has a development program are fortunate because if they are good enough and put in the work they'll get the benefits on offer.

Is it any more wrong than someone getting a golf scholarship and getting all their schooling paid for them, plus the benefit of competing in an intense way on their college team.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
It has been reported that Lydia's parents do not work. Interesting isn't it?
Obviously they are not wealthy because if they were there would be no need to get involved with "Sir David".
At least, when Wie was a "yute" both her parents had jobs and were skilled in begging, borrowing, etc. from family members and friends to help cover Wie's golf expenses.
In comparison, Lydia and her parents are an odd ball situation to say the least.
IMO, the sooner Lydia turns pro and stops being beholden to "Sir David" the better off she will be.
Her parents could be wealthy or semi-wealthy but still accepting money from a benefactor. You can never have too much money. Not working seems to be common for a lot of golf parents. How else can they travel full-time with the kids to tournaments every week?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #29
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
She must have some understanding that All of this international air travel and hotels and equipment and coaches etc does cost money and that she is living a privileged life on someone else' dime. ... ...
I doubt it. 16-year-olds who have lived a privileged and sheltered life seldom have the awareness of their fortune. They simply have not had enough exposure yet to the real world.

Last edited by Blue; 08-30-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #30

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
She must have some understanding that All of this international air travel and hotels and equipment and coaches etc does cost money and that she is living a privileged life on someone else' dime.

Have her talk to L Salas about sacrifice to play golf.

She needs to learn a lot. It's not all about what happens on the course. That's why they have the 18 rule. It is for the young peoples best interest. However in this case there is no denying her , she will be in when she wants.
Xman,

She knows who butters her bread.
----------------------------------
Sir David Levene is making a donation to New Zealand Golf to help support the growth and development of world No 1 amateur Lydia Ko, who earlier this year became the youngest winner in professional golf history.

The donation to her trust both surprised and humbled the teenage superstar, who met with Levene to thank him yesterday.

Lydia Ko gets financial boost from Sir David Levene... | Stuff.co.nz