Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 AM   #1

What will Mr. Whan's 2011 schedule look like?

Since this is a new folder i figured i'd get it started, since i was the one who suggested this folder in the first place. It's getting to be about that time of year that we start guessing what next year's schedule will look like. Over the last couple of years there wasn't much in the way of optumism because of the economy and Bivens, but for the first time since 2007 going into 2008 we are looking at a real possibility of the tour actually having a net gain of official tournaments.

What i would like to know is what everyone thinks the 2011 schedule will look like? I will give my predictions, but i am more interested in what others think it will look like. Yes to spark debate and discussion, but to also see how close we can get to being accurate to the actual schedule when it is released, presumably at the Tour Championship. My predictions as follows, based off of tons of online article research over the last six months or so.

First, i predict an official schedule of 27 events played for $48.5 million in prize money. Yes, this has been affected by the announcement of the $2 Million LPGA Taiwan, the loss for one year of the Jamie Farr, and unless a title sponsor is found, the loss of the CVS. Even though Whan has said in recent interviews that the tour at best is likely to play only one or two events more than this year, the LPGA has a history of adding events after the official announcement of the schedule has been released. This is why i make this prediction.

Second, my next prediction is that the tour will be on Golf Channel more in 2011, but also make a remergence on network television as well. In addition, i think that, and well hope that there will be more programming dedicated to the LPGA on GC than there was in 2010. This is probably more of a hope than a prediction i guess.

Third, i believe that the Tour's television ratings will increase in 2011, for a year over year increase for the first time since 2005-2006. This would be very good news indeed if it does come to pass.

And lastly, my prediction for player of the year isn't Shin or Kerr or Miyazato. It's Paula Creamer. With her thumb hopefully 100% by the start of next year's schedule, i think she wins 5 times and a major and clinches it.

I know that i probably could have mentioned a thousand other things, but i didn't want to get to bogged down at the moment. So what does everybody think?
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
NTB

I wish they would go back to espn
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #3

Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
I wish they would go back to espn
The move to GC was for the best. When they were on ESPN they had very spotty coverage, more so than on GC. Plus with GC they get a rights fee, which is something they never got on ESPN.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
The move to GC was for the best. When they were on ESPN they had very spotty coverage, more so than on GC. Plus with GC they get a rights fee, which is something they never got on ESPN.
I would also like to see ESPN brought back. When the LPGA was on ESPN, some tournaments were also shown on GC. This was a better deal for viewers because there was more live coverage. ESPN was generally live while GC was then and is now often tape delayed. ESPN has better production quality in my opinion and generally better broadcasters.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I would also like to see ESPN brought back. When the LPGA was on ESPN, some tournaments were also shown on GC. This was a better deal for viewers because there was more live coverage. ESPN was generally live while GC was then and is now often tape delayed. ESPN has better production quality in my opinion and generally better broadcasters.
And how do you know that ESPN was generally live? I happen to remember more often than not the coverage being tape-delayed. In addition many of the broadcast windows were so messed up that on quite a few tournament rounds, tournament coverage was only an hour to an hour and a half long, and never exceded 2 hours. As far as the production, that isn't true either. ESPN's broadcasts had spotty production, just like GC's does at times. The decision to move to GC was the best. The amount of coverage, between first run times and replays dwarfs what ESPN ever would have done. It's not perfect, but if ESPN were back in the mix, i'd never get to see any coverage because of my work schedule. On GC i can.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

And how do you know that ESPN was generally live? I happen to remember more often than not the coverage being tape-delayed. In addition many of the broadcast windows were so messed up that on quite a few tournament rounds, tournament coverage was only an hour to an hour and a half long, and never exceded 2 hours. As far as the production, that isn't true either. ESPN's broadcasts had spotty production, just like GC's does at times. The decision to move to GC was the best. The amount of coverage, between first run times and replays dwarfs what ESPN ever would have done. It's not perfect, but if ESPN were back in the mix, i'd never get to see any coverage because of my work schedule. On GC i can.
ESPN never did tape-delayed of domestic events and even aired a lot of international events live. Here is the schedule of LPGA TV coverage in 2008 and 2010, for comparison. This should be sufficient for you.

SBS Open: GC Live
Fields Open: GC Live
HSBC Singapore: GC Tape
MasterCard Mexico: ESPN 2 days Live, 1 day Tape
Safeway International: GC Live
Kraft: ESPN 3 days Live, CBS 1 day Live
Corona Championship: No TV
Ginn Open: GC 2 days Tape, 2 days Live CBS
Stanford International: ESPN Live
SemGroup Championship: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Michelob Ultra: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Sybase Classic: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Corning Classic: GC Tape
Ginn Tribute: GC 2 days Tape, NBC 2 days Live
McDonald's: GC Live
Wegmans: ESPN Live (3 days only)
US Open: ESPN 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Tape
P&G Arkansas: CBS Live (2 out of 3 days only)
Jamie Farr: ESPN Live (3 days only)
State Farm: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Evian: GC Tape
British Open: TNT 2 days Live, ABC 2 days Tape
Canadian Open: GC Tape (last 2 days only)
Safeway Classic: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Bell Micro: GC Live
Navistar: GC Tape
Samsung: GC 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Live
Longs Drugs: GC Live
Grand China Air: No TV
Hana Bank KOLON: No TV
Mizuno Classic: No TV
Lorena Ochoa Invitational: GC Live
ADT: GC 3 days Live, NBC 1 day Live

Honda Thailand: GC Tape (3 days only)
Kia Classic: GC Live
Tres Marias (formerly Coron Championship): No TV
State Farm: GC Tape
ShopRite: GC Live
LPGA Championship: GC Live
Jamie Farr: No TV
US Open: ESPN 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Live
British Open: ESPN Live
Safeway Classic: GC Live
Canadian Open: GC 2 days Tape, GC 2 days Live
P&G Arkansas: GC Live
CVS Pharmacy: GC Live
Sime Darby Malaysia: GC Tape
Hana Bank: GC Tape
Lorena Ochoa Invitational: GC 3 days Live, GC 1 day Tape
LPGA Tour Championship: GC 2 days Live, GC 2 days Tape

I think most people prefer the mix of ESPN and GC that we had prior to the 2009 than the exclusive coverage of GC. Who doesn't want to see sports covered live? If it conflicts with your work schedule, get a DVR or a VCR.

Looking at the upcoming schedule for 2010, I'm disappointed to see that we're not getting live coverage of the last two days of the LPGA Championship or of the last day of the Lorena Ochoa Invitational.

Last edited by Blue; 10-10-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: correct years. It was a typo!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

ESPN never did tape-delayed of domestic events and even aired a lot of international events live. Here is the schedule of LPGA TV coverage in 2009 and 2010, for comparison. This should be sufficient for you.

Ginn Open: GC 2 days Tape, 2 days Live

I think most people prefer the mix of ESPN and GC that we had prior to the 2009 than the exclusive coverage of GC. Who doesn't want to see sports covered live? If it conflicts with your work schedule, get a DVR or a VCR.

Looking at the upcoming schedule for 2010, I'm disappointed to see that we're not getting live coverage of the last two days of the LPGA Championship or of the last day of the Lorena Ochoa Invitational.
Saying that ESPN never showed domestic coverage on tape delay is not only misleading, it's false. Second, you did not post a thing for 2009 as you claim, and third, you also included events that the LPGA does not run, or sponsor such as the U.S. Open and British Open, which does misconfigure stats. It still remains that the current deal with GC is better than going back to ESPN. With ESPN the tour got zilch for rights fees, and had production costs in the realm of $350-400,000 per event. With GC yes events have production costs in the realm of $300-400 thousand per year, but the tour also gets a nice rights fee along with no ad buys, as they had to do on ESPN and network t.v. One more thing, your posts of the t.v. schedules for 2008 and 2010 are innaccurate. You posted the Ginn Open in 2008 as having two days on GC live, two on tape. Wrong, Sat. and Sun. coverage was on NBC, not on GC. The Mastercard Classic was on ESPN Deportes for one hour only on if i remember correctly sat. and sun. If your going to post responses, be accurate! I've had to call you out before on this, and i will call you out again if i have to.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #8

ESPN never did tape-delayed of domestic events and even aired a lot of international events live. Here is the schedule of LPGA TV coverage in 2009 and 2010, for comparison. This should be sufficient for you.

Ginn Open: GC 2 days Tape, 2 days Live

Some other things, with the GC contract, events that were not being televised ARE being televised now. Events that ESPN would never do because they never would broadcast more than 10 events per year are events like Korea, Lorena's event, Thailand, Singapore, and the new Malaysia event just to name the ones that come to mind. Second ESPN never did televise more than six hours of coverage per event per week with the exception of the Sybase for a couple of years, which had to shell out more money to have all four rounds televised, whereas on GC ALL rounds of tournaments that they were able to televise, they did. In addition the replays of events, which ESPN NEVER did in effect doubles a tournament's coverage. In closing, neither entity was perfect in it's coverage, and GC could defintely tweak quite a few things in regards to their coverage, but overall, GC is better. With all of the events being on one channel, it's easier to find them, which makes it easier to develop a viewing pattern.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #9

My only reasoning for not having ESPN is because we don't get it in Canada! The broadcast regulators tell us we're not allowed - what a crock.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Forum Moderator

Saying that ESPN never showed domestic coverage on tape delay is not only misleading, it's false. Second, you did not post a thing for 2009 as you claim, and third, you also included events that the LPGA does not run, or sponsor such as the U.S. Open and British Open, which does misconfigure stats. It still remains that the current deal with GC is better than going back to ESPN. With ESPN the tour got zilch for rights fees, and had production costs in the realm of $350-400,000 per event. With GC yes events have production costs in the realm of $300-400 thousand per year, but the tour also gets a nice rights fee along with no ad buys, as they had to do on ESPN and network t.v. One more thing, your posts of the t.v. schedules for 2008 and 2010 are innaccurate. You posted the Ginn Open in 2008 as having two days on GC live, two on tape. Wrong, Sat. and Sun. coverage was on NBC, not on GC. The Mastercard Classic was on ESPN Deportes for one hour only on if i remember correctly sat. and sun. If your going to post responses, be accurate! I've had to call you out before on this, and i will call you out again if i have to.
If you can find domestic events that ESPN ran on tape delay, please show them and I will stand corrected.

As for what I listed, it's the entire LPGA schedule for these years, except for non-official events, like the MOJO 6. This includes the US Open and the British Open. I don't see how this "misconfigures stats." Fans want to see golf on TV, as much golf as possible and as much of it live as possible. They don't care that the LPGA runs one event and the USGA runs another.

I chose 2008 and 2010 to show the contrast between the last full season when ESPN was in play and this season. I accidentally wrote 2009 in one spot because I did this very quickly. I've fixed that. I'm sorry that the typo threw you for a loop.

My source for all of this is LPGA.com. Actually, the 2008 Ginn Open was two days tape on GC and two days live on CBS. I just forgot to put CBS in on my original post. It's there now. Maybe you're thinking of the Ginn Tribute which was on NBC.

You are right that ESPN Desportes carried the MasterCard Classic, live on two days, tape-delayed on one day. It has limited coverage in the United States and, obviously, it's in Spanish. I don't consider this broadcast to the US when it's in limited markets and in Spanish.

Also, there is no need to "call me out" if we disagree. We're not in middle school. We can converse like civil adults.

Last edited by Blue; 10-10-2010 at 08:29 AM.